USC Early Decision Transfer Program

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Arrow

USC Early Decision Transfer Program

Postby Arrow » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:48 pm

Hey everyone,

USC recently enacted an early decision transfer program and you can apply right now: http://weblaw.usc.edu/how/transfer/earlydecision.cfm

Good luck!

Lasers

Re: USC Early Decision Transfer Program

Postby Lasers » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:50 pm

i got the e-mail today.

sounds pretty good if non-binding (which i think it is).

hm i actually just looked at the e-mail again, and it looks like they will waive transfer fees? sounds like it's worth a shot even though i probably wouldn't attend.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:10 am

Just submitted my app.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:51 pm

Sending mine in tomorrow. I figure, I've an LSAC fee waiver, why not.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:11 pm

damn. i have to ask for my LORs ASAP now.

opX

Postby opX » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:54 am

Thanks Arrow - that was considerate of you.

thepete

Postby thepete » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:30 pm

do you guys think the bar will be higher for the early decision pgrm? or perhaps even lower since there is a binding decision option?

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:34 pm

thepete wrote:do you guys think the bar will be higher for the early decision pgrm? or perhaps even lower since there is a binding decision option?

maybe, if anything, slightly lower if binding?

i mean they are taking a risk with looking at only first semester grades, so it makes sense to assume the bar will be very high.

in_reverie

Postby in_reverie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:54 pm

For early decision programs, how long can you wait before you're required to submit a decision? For example, I would like to attend USC, but only if I don't get into a few others that DON'T have early decision programs...

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:25 am

in_reverie wrote:For early decision programs, how long can you wait before you're required to submit a decision? For example, I would like to attend USC, but only if I don't get into a few others that DON'T have early decision programs...

interested in this as well.

might have to e-mail their admissions office.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:51 pm

Lasers wrote:
in_reverie wrote:For early decision programs, how long can you wait before you're required to submit a decision? For example, I would like to attend USC, but only if I don't get into a few others that DON'T have early decision programs...

If you email them...do it anonymously...

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:21 am

USC generally has a smaller transfer class (compared to schools like GULC). I wonder how many people they plan on accepting for early decision.

I put an app in, but I'm not too confident as I'm east coast and I hear they love west coast applicants.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:57 pm

Lasers wrote:

You likely just have to put down a large deposit (around $1000) by a certain date. This just means that if you're willing to give up your deposit you can go wherever you want. However, if you decide to go binding, you are obligated to withdraw all other applications upon getting accepted.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:40 am

FYI - They have a $1000 deposit due June 1st.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:41 am

Jessuf wrote:FYI - They have a $1000 deposit due June 1st.

i see.

hm.

sounds like a nice backup if i get in (in the event i feel like i bomb finals in may). :|

in_reverie

Postby in_reverie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:50 pm

Lasers wrote:

i see.

hm.

sounds like a nice backup if i get in (in the event i feel like i bomb finals in may). :|

Yeeaah, I think I'll just apply to their RD transfer program. That's pretty dang steep.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:27 pm

in_reverie wrote:
Lasers wrote:

i see.

hm.

Yeeaah, I think I'll just apply to their RD transfer program. That's pretty dang steep.

my plan is apply ED non-binding; if i get in then keep that in my back pocket. my finals are in may so if i felt that i did poorly then i would put the deposit down. if i felt fine, then i would let usc go.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:10 pm

Lasers wrote:
in_reverie wrote:
Lasers wrote:

i see.

hm.

my plan is apply ED non-binding; if i get in then keep that in my back pocket. my finals are in may so if i felt that i did poorly then i would put the deposit down. if i felt fine, then i would let usc go.

I'm not sure if USC does this but they might reserve the right to deny you admission (after granting it EA) if your grades drop below a certain level second semester.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:36 pm

Mce252 wrote:
Lasers wrote:my plan is apply ED non-binding; if i get in then keep that in my back pocket. my finals are in may so if i felt that i did poorly then i would put the deposit down. if i felt fine, then i would let usc go.

I'm not sure if USC does this but they might reserve the right to deny you admission (after granting it EA) if your grades drop below a certain level second semester.

if they were smart, they would.

also, by doing "poorly," i mean if i don't do well enough for higher ranked schools to consider me.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:34 am

Mce252 wrote:I'm not sure if USC does this but they might reserve the right to deny you admission (after granting it EA) if your grades drop below a certain level second semester.

Usually you have to just maintain a B average second semester.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:12 am

for those that have applied, where do you send your law school transcript to? it says to send them directly to usc and not to lsac; is there a specific address or is the admissions address sufficient? i guess they'll just link your transcript to your lsac application themselves?

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:52 am

Lasers wrote:for those that have applied, where do you send your law school transcript to? it says to send them directly to usc and not to lsac; is there a specific address or is the admissions address sufficient? i guess they'll just link your transcript to your lsac application themselves?

Admissions office. They will see your name and put it in your file.

lawschoolproblems86

Postby lawschoolproblems86 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:55 pm

I know this is new so we don't have much to go off of, but can anyone venture a guess as to what first semester grades they are looking for, or an approximation of how many EA applicants will be accepted, based on their statistics in the regular admissions cycle?

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:03 pm

lawschoolproblems86 wrote:I know this is new so we don't have much to go off of, but can anyone venture a guess as to what first semester grades they are looking for, or an approximation of how many EA applicants will be accepted, based on their statistics in the regular admissions cycle?

From what I've read, they have only taken 10 - 20 as transfers. So, if I had to guess, maybe 5 EA? There is also the possibility that they realize how badly they can consensually assault transfer students with full tuition and decided to increase their acceptances.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:07 pm

Mce252 wrote:
lawschoolproblems86 wrote:I know this is new so we don't have much to go off of, but can anyone venture a guess as to what first semester grades they are looking for, or an approximation of how many EA applicants will be accepted, based on their statistics in the regular admissions cycle?

From what I've read, they have only taken 10 - 20 as transfers. So, if I had to guess, maybe 5 EA? There is also the possibility that they realize how badly they can consensually assault transfer students with full tuition and decided to increase their acceptances.

i wouldn't be surprised if they deferred a lot of EA non-binding applications to the regular decision pool.

Return to “Transfers”