transferring from Penn to C or N

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
howdypumpkin

transferring from Penn to C or N

Postby howdypumpkin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Hey guys, I have an A, A-, and two B+s. Penn doesn't rank, but I was wondering if anyone knew whether these grades (granted they are only first semester grades and assuming I could keep it up) would be good enough for C or N and if it'd be worth transferring?
Thanks

InnocuousDiatribe

Re: transferring from Penn to C or N

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:22 pm

howdypumpkin wrote:Hey guys, I have an A, A-, and two B+s. Penn doesn't rank, but I was wondering if anyone knew whether these grades (granted they are only first semester grades and assuming I could keep it up) would be good enough for C or N and if it'd be worth transferring?
Thanks

Out of curiosity, why do you want to transfer?

Postby 062914123 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:22 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:28 pm

confused about which C you're talking about.

howdypumpkin

Postby howdypumpkin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:30 pm

Upenn and for some personal reasons that id rather not discuss in depth for anonymity reasons. When I asked if it was work it, I meant more in terms of if career wise transferring would be a negative. And sorry, I meant to Columbia or NYU

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:39 pm

Apply & see what happens. Your question is a bit premature, however, without second semester grades.

lawschoolgrapedme

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:33 pm

It typically takes about top 25% to get to CCN from P...I know someone who did the jump with those grades.

howdypumpkin

Postby howdypumpkin » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:25 am

Thanks guys, unfortunately this process is gong to be a little pre-mature as I have to get started on my applications before second semester grades come back. Speaking of which, when is a good time to start inquiring about LORs?

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:32 am

Why would you make this jump? There is very little you will gain by making such a move from a career perspective. I could see doing it if you had an SO or a family member that you needed to take care of in NYC. Possibly if you wanted PI, you might think about moving to NYU. But if you want a firm job, I'd stay put. I transferred to Penn and chose it over NYU. You will have tons of options come OCI, and, IMO, better odds here than at NYU.

It might be worth it going to Y or S, but even then, it's questionable. Even H in your situation is probably not worth it because it is not going to open that many doors that won't already be open from Penn. My advice: learn the bluebook, work on your writing, and get on LR. You will be absolutely fine.

penn0Ler

Postby penn0Ler » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:38 am

run26.2 wrote:Why would you make this jump? There is very little you will gain by making such a move from a career perspective. I could see doing it if you had an SO or a family member that you needed to take care of in NYC. Possibly if you wanted PI, you might think about moving to NYU. But if you want a firm job, I'd stay put. I transferred to Penn and chose it over NYU. You will have tons of options come OCI, and, IMO, better odds here than at NYU.

It might be worth it going to Y or S, but even then, it's questionable. Even H in your situation is probably not worth it because it is not going to open that many doors that won't already be open from Penn. My advice: learn the bluebook, work on your writing, and get on LR. You will be absolutely fine.

It doesn't sound like career prospects is OP's concern. If transferring "up" is indeed your goal, then Chicago has ED transfer with just 1st semester grades (no idea about deadlines).

I'm also curious about grades needed to transfer from P. I have similar grades (A, A, B+, B+). If this semester happens to go well, I'd be interested in moving to H (personal, non-career, non-prestige reasons).

Is there any consensus on what GPA top 25% is? Top 10%?

howdypumpkin

Postby howdypumpkin » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:54 am

Id be transferring for personal reasons and am really only looking to NYC, Penn0ler, I have no idea where we stand and the registrars office is slightly infuriating. Im guessing that I am somewhere on the 25% borderline and that you would be in the 15-20 range, but again, i really have no idea. oh and congrats on the grades.

penn0Ler

Postby penn0Ler » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:02 am

Yeah registar's office = not helpful. CP&P wasn't much better, other than saying "you're in a good spot."

Part of me thinks the grade distributions are somewhat different across sections. I'm in S1, and I felt like the skill sets required to do well in each class were quite different, likely resulting in a wider distribution of grades across the section. From talking to friends in other sections, it seems like there were fewer wildcard profs, which could theoretically mean that other sections might have more people with high grades across the board.

Return to “Transfers”