Personal Statement Question

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
aca0260

Personal Statement Question

Postby aca0260 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:39 pm

Do people send in Diversity statements for transfer admissions? My 0L PS was basically a diversity statement, but there isn't going to be room to insert a "Why Transfer" into this. I'm thinking of answering Why Transfer and submitting a separate diversity statement. Thoughts/recommendations, thanks

Vronsky

Re: Personal Statement Question

Postby Vronsky » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:57 pm

aca0260 wrote:Do people send in Diversity statements for transfer admissions? My 0L PS was basically a diversity statement, but there isn't going to be room to insert a "Why Transfer" into this. I'm thinking of answering Why Transfer and submitting a separate diversity statement. Thoughts/recommendations, thanks

I don't think transfer schools care about diversity in the 2L transfer class as they do for the 1L class. Anecdotally, my CN transfer class of 40+ people had only one AA. It's much more of a numbers game - schools want the top students from lesser ranked schools. Everything about diversity that benefits a school for its 1L class in USNEWS does not apply to transfers.

If you have something REALLY compelling, I would suggest that you work it into your PS. I essentially re-wrote/updated my PS from 1L, and I think it was a benefit because there were several people at the top of my class that applied and I was the only one accepted. Essentially I stressed how the motivations/goals that I outlined in my 1L PS played out during my 1L year, and how I hoped to continue that progression/development at the new school. I imagine that transfer personal statements don't matter at much compared to 1L, but if there are 3-4 people equally high in your class who are applying, it might be tie breaker. I also expect that almost every transfer PS is about the same, meaning it's somewhat easier to stand out if you do a good one.

ETA - this is only somewhat related, but might help. If there are any professors from whom you received CALI/A+/top grades in the class last semester, they should be your first choice for LORs even if you don't know them as well as someone else who you got a flat A or A- from. This is something else you can do to distinguish yourself from the other top students at your school.

jessuf

Re: Personal Statement Question

Postby jessuf » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:27 pm

MY PS is about overcoming adversity, how it shaped who I am today, how it brought me to law school, how I chose my intended field of law based on the adversity, and how that particular school fits in with my goals. I spent 1 page telling my story, then 1.5 pages talking about what draws me to the school. This is kind of similar to diversity because I wanted to show I am in a sense different from other applicants. I don't see anything wrong with this because it shows how I would be good for them and how they would be good for me. Of course, I wrote it, so of course I don't see anything wrong with it.

My friend who comes from an incredibly wealthy family that has been in the country (legally, U.S. citizens) for several generations is writing his PS about how hard and challenging life has been growing up as an immigrant. I don't know how this will work for him, but I will let you know.

Return to “Transfers”