Withdrawing from 1 Course Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
flapflapflap

New

Withdrawing from 1 Course

Post by flapflapflap » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:53 pm

Hello to All,

I started 1L as a full-time student and finished the fall semester with a 3.78 at a TT. Unfortunately, over the break, I got into a car accident and the first six weeks or so of the second semester has been chaotic to say the least. I've been seeing my doctor and to complete rehab while trying to keep up with classes. Even though I missed the deadline to drop to part-time (I was stubborn and refused to do such initially), my dean is permitting the option of withdrawing one course if the work load becomes unbearable.

I'm just wondering if a "Withdrawal" on my transcript will pretty much kill my chances of transferring out. If anyone can share info on this, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.

jess

Re: Withdrawing from 1 Course

Post by jess » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:06 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:35 pm

It could impact whether you have sufficient hours to transfer. Most schools require a minimum of 30 hours or so (and some require specific courses) to transfer after your 1L year. Bottom line, I'd be focused on this semester, not transferring.

GL and study hard!

lawschoolproblems86

New

Post by lawschoolproblems86 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:38 pm

The same thing is happening to me. The Dean at my schedule recommended I withdraw from a course this semester because of an injury and now I am concerned about my transferring prospects, since I will only have 27 credits by the summer.

Do some schools really require a minimum of 30 to transfer? I never saw any minimum posted on the websites; usually just a disclaimer saying "No more than 30 credits will be accepted." How severely will this harm my transfer chances if the rest of my grades are good and I have an addendum? Additionally does having a W on your transcript affect your "Good Standing" at all or do anything else that portrays you in a negative light?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:21 pm

The answer to your questions are likely to vary from school to school. I'd recommend you call the admissions offices of the schools you'd like to transfer to, and ask them directly.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:55 pm

Jessuf wrote:I think you should be fine as long as you disclose why in an addendum.

Some students transferred to my school and had withdrawn from a class 1L year. They're now taking con law with me to get caught up.
I'm guessing it is less likely that they withdrew from con law...I transferred and am taking con law now to "catch up" but it is because my 1L school didn't mandate con law 1L year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”