transfer from MVBP to HYS?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
yogurt31

transfer from MVBP to HYS?

Postby yogurt31 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:28 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster!

I searched around, but I couldn't find a quick answer for this. To transfer from MVBP to HYS, what is a reasonable grade 'cutoff' to be competitive? i'm top 25% as of first semester grades.

thanks so much!

Transferthrowaway

Re: transfer from MVBP to HYS?

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:29 pm

I think the general rule is ~10% for H, not sure on YS. There is at least one MVBP to HYS transfer who posts on TLS though, so I'm sure he can give better information.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:32 pm

~10%

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:30 pm

johansantana21 wrote:~10%

yogurt31

Postby yogurt31 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:47 pm

thanks everyone! out of pure curiosity, is the top 10% rule of thumb true for CCN as well? Could my grades (assuming, knock on wood, that they don't fall and stay consistent at top 25%) get me anywhere?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:49 pm

yogurt31 wrote:thanks everyone! out of pure curiosity, is the top 10% rule of thumb true for CCN as well? Could my grades (assuming, knock on wood, that they don't fall and stay consistent at top 25%) get me anywhere?

Why do you want to do that?

yogurt31

Postby yogurt31 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:50 pm

IAFG wrote:
yogurt31 wrote:thanks everyone! out of pure curiosity, is the top 10% rule of thumb true for CCN as well? Could my grades (assuming, knock on wood, that they don't fall and stay consistent at top 25%) get me anywhere?

Why do you want to do that?

i dont think i do..just curious!

tww909

Postby tww909 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:44 am

i don't think it's actually 10% as a cutoff.

here at SLS we have 2 people from MVPB who transferred between the 25%-50% number. granted both were stanford undergrads, and one had a compelling reason to be here, but nevertheless that number isn't hard and fast.

without any significant ties to HYS or a compelling narrative about why you should be there though, certainly 10% is going to be best, and 25% is arguably possibly maybe worth the application fee.

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:30 am

I have a new post on this topic at my blog, which the moderators of this forum don't allow people to link to directly.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:45 pm

Paul Campos wrote:I have a new post on this topic at my blog, which the moderators of this forum don't allow people to link to directly.

The problem is not posting links to your blog. The problem is using the forum to redirect people to your blog. Linking to it does that, but making posts like this also does. If you have something to say to people here, say it here.

That is, when you get back.

--ImageRemoved--

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:13 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:I have a new post on this topic at my blog, which the moderators of this forum don't allow people to link to directly.

The problem is not posting links to your blog. The problem is using the forum to redirect people to your blog. Linking to it does that, but making posts like this also does. If you have something to say to people here, say it here.

--ImageRemoved--

He doesn't want to post it here since it is the same anecdote that has already been smacked down in another thread because every element of it is either wholly atypical or flat out untrue. Basically the story of some CLS 3L who was accepted as a top 20% from a TTT, which he claims is typical (allegedly accepted as a transfer because he had a high LSAT) of CLS acceptance standards. He says this 3L claims that only 40-50% of CLS transfers have good employment locked up.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:49 am

Wholigan wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

He doesn't want to post it here since it is the same anecdote that has already been smacked down in another thread because every element of it is either wholly atypical or flat out untrue. Basically the story of some CLS 3L who was accepted as a top 20% from a TTT, which he claims is typical (allegedly accepted as a transfer because he had a high LSAT) of CLS acceptance standards. He says this 3L claims that only 40-50% of CLS transfers have good employment locked up.

PM me link? Curious.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:05 am

When people say MVPB I always assume they mean B because it seems like people outside of B tend to say just MVP? Is that just me?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:06 pm

Wholigan wrote:He doesn't want to post it here since it is the same anecdote that has already been smacked down in another thread because every element of it is either wholly atypical or flat out untrue. Basically the story of some CLS 3L who was accepted as a top 20% from a TTT, which he claims is typical (allegedly accepted as a transfer because he had a high LSAT) of CLS acceptance standards. He says this 3L claims that only 40-50% of CLS transfers have good employment locked up.

Lol, just lol. Anyone who says LSAT has any bearing on transfers is either dumb or lying.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:53 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Wholigan wrote:He doesn't want to post it here since it is the same anecdote that has already been smacked down in another thread because every element of it is either wholly atypical or flat out untrue. Basically the story of some CLS 3L who was accepted as a top 20% from a TTT, which he claims is typical (allegedly accepted as a transfer because he had a high LSAT) of CLS acceptance standards. He says this 3L claims that only 40-50% of CLS transfers have good employment locked up.

Lol, just lol. Anyone who says LSAT has any bearing on transfers is either dumb or lying.

Seriously, that is why Campos is an idiot for not refuting that fool. He should have just realized that there are a shitload of transfers who had zero problems getting BigLaw (especially this year).

It also makes me seriously question the rest of his information and his sources. Like, I get what he's doing, but this isn't a "you're all sheep!" thing... this is an "actual transfers to top schools who can speak about how their peers actually did", and yet he ignored us all. God forbid, there are plenty of things to shit on law schools about -- but by posting bad information, he's not doing himself or his reputation any favors.

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:26 am

I've confirmed all the details of my correspondent's story. S/he is someone who was admitted to a couple of lower T-14s but went to a T3 on a full ride plus stipend to avoid debt, then changed his/her mind when s/he saw what the job situation actually was.

I'm not claiming this person's situation as a transfer at CLS is modal. I'm pointing out it is what it is.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:18 pm

Paul Campos wrote:I've confirmed all the details of my correspondent's story. S/he is someone who was admitted to a couple of lower T-14s but went to a T3 on a full ride plus stipend to avoid debt, then changed his/her mind when s/he saw what the job situation actually was.

I'm not claiming this person's situation as a transfer at CLS is modal. I'm pointing out it is what it is.

Just because the correspondent may be telling the truth about his or her own story (though seriously, everything about it seems really suspect if you look at actual transfer admissions) does not mean that person is telling the truth about the job situation of his or her classmates. Can you at least consider the possibility that most transfers that transfer to top 10 schools get OCI jobs? And that this person may be an anomaly since a top 20% person at a TTT is not going to get an OCI job, transfer or not?

I can be your correspondent just as easily and pretty much give you previous schools, previous rankings and job status of pretty much everyone in my transfer class, and I would bet that other transfers on this board could do so as well (however, I won't because it's not really fair to share specifics since people would easily be "outed" and I don't want that in a blog somewhere). However, most of us can actually confirm that 80-95% (possibly more at UChi) of 2L transfers at these schools have excellent employment lined up for this summer (BigLaw, prestigious PI, etc.) and not 40-50% like your correspondent claims.

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 pm

keg411 wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:I've confirmed all the details of my correspondent's story. S/he is someone who was admitted to a couple of lower T-14s but went to a T3 on a full ride plus stipend to avoid debt, then changed his/her mind when s/he saw what the job situation actually was.

Just because the correspondent may be telling the truth about his or her own story (though seriously, everything about it seems really suspect if you look at actual transfer admissions) does not mean that person is telling the truth about the job situation of his or her classmates. Can you at least consider the possibility that most transfers that transfer to top 10 schools get OCI jobs? And that this person may be an anomaly since a top 20% person at a TTT is not going to get an OCI job, transfer or not?

I can be your correspondent just as easily and pretty much give you previous schools, previous rankings and job status of pretty much everyone in my transfer class, and I would bet that other transfers on this board could do so as well (however, I won't because it's not really fair to share specifics since people would easily be "outed" and I don't want that in a blog somewhere). However, most of us can actually confirm that 80-95% (possibly more at UChi) of 2L transfers at these schools have excellent employment lined up for this summer (BigLaw, prestigious PI, etc.) and not 40-50% like your correspondent claims.

In other words, your anecdotes are better than his/her anecdotes. BTW when challenged on his/her numbers this person did some Facebook checking etc and upped his/her estimate to 60%/70%. Have you ever wondered why, if CLS's numbers are actually so good, they don't publish them?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:36 pm

Paul Campos wrote:
keg411 wrote:

In other words, your anecdotes are better than his/her anecdotes. BTW when challenged on his/her numbers this person did some Facebook checking etc and upped his/her estimate to 60%/70%. Have you ever wondered why, if CLS's numbers are actually so good, they don't publish them?

I don't know. I can only speak for my school, and I don't go to CLS... I go to Michigan. But Vronsky had an anecdotal number of 95% from CLS, and Helm had an even higher number for Chicago.

As far as why no one publishes transfer stats? I think it's just because they usually they don't separate them out because it tends to be a tiny sample. Do I think they should -- of course, transparency is always better than not -- but I also don't think they aren't publishing in this case because they are trying to hide anything; it's possible they might be doing the opposite and using the transfer numbers to BOOST the regular employment numbers....

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:12 pm

keg411 wrote:I don't know. I can only speak for my school, and I don't go to CLS... I go to Michigan. But Vronsky had an anecdotal number of 95% from CLS, and Helm had an even higher number for Chicago.

As far as why no one publishes transfer stats? I think it's just because they usually they don't separate them out because it tends to be a tiny sample. Do I think they should -- of course, transparency is always better than not -- but I also don't think they aren't publishing in this case because they are trying to hide anything; it's possible they might be doing the opposite and using the transfer numbers to BOOST the regular employment numbers....

This fits with one poster's anecdote that HYS picked more of his classmates with prior WE while those who had similar grades but no WE were rejected by the higher ranked schools.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:50 pm

Paul Campos wrote:
keg411 wrote:

Okay... so now that the correspondant realized that his/her employment figures are off by 20%, does s/he want to revisit the claim that there are 90 transfers in the current 2L class? There have been various posters here placing the number at less than half that.

quiver

Postby quiver » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:52 pm

Wholigan wrote:Okay... so now that the correspondant realized that his/her employment figures are off by 20%, does s/he want to revisit the claim that there are 90 transfers in the current 2L class? There have been various posters here placing the number at less than half that.
Yup, 42. And I can confirm what Vronsky said about the transfer stats, I'd say at least 95% (probably 100% at this point) of transfers are employed, most at top law firms.

I'd love to hear more from this "correspondent."

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:05 pm

I think there's a lot of confirmation bias up in this thread, on both sides.

If I were to estimate my school's median based on what people said after 1L, I would guess 3.7.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:16 pm

IAFG wrote:If I were to estimate my school's median based on what people said after 1L, I would guess 3.7.

Oh so you go to Cornell then

BA-ZING! but seriously, ignore me, carry on...

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:42 pm

IAFG wrote:I think there's a lot of confirmation bias up in this thread, on both sides.

If I were to estimate my school's median based on what people said after 1L, I would guess 3.7.

Yeah, except that it's a lot easier to bullshit a GPA then it is to bullshit whether or not you have a SA.

Return to “Transfers”