LOR from LWR prof?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LawMan20
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:57 pm

LOR from LWR prof?

Postby LawMan20 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:36 pm

Is this looked upon disfavorably? I could only get 1 LOR from my doctrinal profs, so I'll be asking for a letter from my LWR prof soon. He doesn't have half the credential list as most doctrinal profs. Does that matter?

sillyboots
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:50 am

Re: LOR from LWR prof?

Postby sillyboots » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:07 am

From what I've read and what I'd guess: no, it doesn't make a difference. In fact, there are some advantages. Your academic performance speaks for itself, and having the good word of one doctrinal teacher plenty supports your ability to grasp substantive material. A LRW teacher can better comment on your reading and writing skills (which are extremely important), and if you had a small class with him/her or have gotten to know him/her, they can probably put in a more sincere word about your personality. Finally, I don't know this for sure, but I get the feeling that LRW teachers are mostly pretty bored and don't get asked for LORs much so they might do a bang-up job.

CCN-S Transfer
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:15 pm

Re: LOR from LWR prof?

Postby CCN-S Transfer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:14 pm

I successfully transferred to Stanford with an LOR from my LWR prof and an LOR from an undergrad prof. It clearly didn't affect me. But I have no idea whether my grades made me borderline or whether I was going to get in regardless. Obviously try for better, but I'm proof that if the rest of your app is fine, it won't matter.

LawMan20
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: LOR from LWR prof?

Postby LawMan20 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:40 pm

CCN-S Transfer wrote:I successfully transferred to Stanford with an LOR from my LWR prof and an LOR from an undergrad prof. It clearly didn't affect me. But I have no idea whether my grades made me borderline or whether I was going to get in regardless. Obviously try for better, but I'm proof that if the rest of your app is fine, it won't matter.


Was the letter from the undergrad prof from your original cycle? Or did you ask them whenever you decided you were transferring?

CCN-S Transfer
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:15 pm

Re: LOR from LWR prof?

Postby CCN-S Transfer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:05 pm

LawMan20 wrote:
CCN-S Transfer wrote:I successfully transferred to Stanford with an LOR from my LWR prof and an LOR from an undergrad prof. It clearly didn't affect me. But I have no idea whether my grades made me borderline or whether I was going to get in regardless. Obviously try for better, but I'm proof that if the rest of your app is fine, it won't matter.


Was the letter from the undergrad prof from your original cycle? Or did you ask them whenever you decided you were transferring?


It was the same prof as one of my original cycle letters, but I asked him again once I decided on applying to transfer. He probably wrote a new letter, but it was probably pretty similar.

jd-mba
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:57 pm

Re: LOR from LWR prof?

Postby jd-mba » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:34 pm

are you allowed to reuse LOR from your original cycle? i feel bad asking my same prof for yet another rec, since he's already revised the original rec for my scholarship apps this year. it would be nice if i could just use the old letter already in the system, even though it's dated from the original application date...

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: LOR from LWR prof?

Postby random5483 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:55 pm

jd-mba wrote:are you allowed to reuse LOR from your original cycle? i feel bad asking my same prof for yet another rec, since he's already revised the original rec for my scholarship apps this year. it would be nice if i could just use the old letter already in the system, even though it's dated from the original application date...




It varies from school to school. Each school has its own criteria. Some require 2 LORs from law school professors. Others allow 1 LOR from a law school professor and 1 from any other professor. Each school is different. Most schools require 1 or 2 LORs from law school professors. Unless you know that none of the schools you are interested in require two law school professor LOR's, you should get two letters from law school professors.


I got an LOR from my LRW professor and another from a substantive class. I just picked professors from classes that I booked. I knew the LRW professor better, but I had talked to both professors outside of class and participated actively in both classes.

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: LOR from LWR prof?

Postby TatteredDignity » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:02 pm

I don't know if it's relevant to OP's interests, but Yale says it's a mistake to use an LWR prof as one of your two letters. Optional 3rd, it's fine.

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... emand.aspx

LawMan20
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: LOR from LWR prof?

Postby LawMan20 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:37 pm

0LNewbie wrote:I don't know if it's relevant to OP's interests, but Yale says it's a mistake to use an LWR prof as one of your two letters. Optional 3rd, it's fine.

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... emand.aspx


Damn. Well, that's disappointing. I have one other doctrinal prof I can ask, who I didn't talk to outside of the class the entire semester. Would it be rude/wrong to approach him about writing a letter? Or should I definitely try? I had the 3rd highest grade in the class.

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: LOR from LWR prof?

Postby TatteredDignity » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:49 pm

LawMan20 wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:I don't know if it's relevant to OP's interests, but Yale says it's a mistake to use an LWR prof as one of your two letters. Optional 3rd, it's fine.

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... emand.aspx


Damn. Well, that's disappointing. I have one other doctrinal prof I can ask, who I didn't talk to outside of the class the entire semester. Would it be rude/wrong to approach him about writing a letter? Or should I definitely try? I had the 3rd highest grade in the class.


I'm about to start the same process (I'm gonna apply to transfer, whether I actually go through with it or not), and I'm in a similar situation. Top grades in all classes, but only have a relationship with one of them. In my uninformed opinion, the thing to do is just suck it up and ask. That letter isn't going to be as persuasive as the prof who knows you outside of class, but for Yale, at least, you'll be following the guidelines. You can still submit the one from your LWR prof to supplement.

Good luck!

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12496
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: LOR from LWR prof?

Postby jessuf » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:01 pm

0LNewbie wrote:
LawMan20 wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:I don't know if it's relevant to OP's interests, but Yale says it's a mistake to use an LWR prof as one of your two letters. Optional 3rd, it's fine.

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... emand.aspx


Damn. Well, that's disappointing. I have one other doctrinal prof I can ask, who I didn't talk to outside of the class the entire semester. Would it be rude/wrong to approach him about writing a letter? Or should I definitely try? I had the 3rd highest grade in the class.


I'm about to start the same process (I'm gonna apply to transfer, whether I actually go through with it or not), and I'm in a similar situation. Top grades in all classes, but only have a relationship with one of them. In my uninformed opinion, the thing to do is just suck it up and ask. That letter isn't going to be as persuasive as the prof who knows you outside of class, but for Yale, at least, you'll be following the guidelines. You can still submit the one from your LWR prof to supplement.

Good luck!


I didn't have a problem with this. For one of my professors, I booked his class but never once went to office hours. I saw him outside of school once and talked to him for a bit, but that's about all. In class, I participated on occasion but was by no means a gunner. After I got my grade back, I went to his office hours for advice, and I told him my background, what kind of law I wanted to do, etc. I made sure he got to know me on a more personal level. Then I asked for a letter. A lot of people on the board say all of that is not necessary and to just walk right in and ask for a letter. However, my professor point blank said he was glad I shared a bit about myself at first because he didn't know much about me and wouldn't know what to say in a letter aside from me doing well in his class.

LawMan20
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: LOR from LWR prof?

Postby LawMan20 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:25 am

Jessuf wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:
LawMan20 wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:I don't know if it's relevant to OP's interests, but Yale says it's a mistake to use an LWR prof as one of your two letters. Optional 3rd, it's fine.

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... emand.aspx


Damn. Well, that's disappointing. I have one other doctrinal prof I can ask, who I didn't talk to outside of the class the entire semester. Would it be rude/wrong to approach him about writing a letter? Or should I definitely try? I had the 3rd highest grade in the class.


I'm about to start the same process (I'm gonna apply to transfer, whether I actually go through with it or not), and I'm in a similar situation. Top grades in all classes, but only have a relationship with one of them. In my uninformed opinion, the thing to do is just suck it up and ask. That letter isn't going to be as persuasive as the prof who knows you outside of class, but for Yale, at least, you'll be following the guidelines. You can still submit the one from your LWR prof to supplement.

Good luck!


I didn't have a problem with this. For one of my professors, I booked his class but never once went to office hours. I saw him outside of school once and talked to him for a bit, but that's about all. In class, I participated on occasion but was by no means a gunner. After I got my grade back, I went to his office hours for advice, and I told him my background, what kind of law I wanted to do, etc. I made sure he got to know me on a more personal level. Then I asked for a letter. A lot of people on the board say all of that is not necessary and to just walk right in and ask for a letter. However, my professor point blank said he was glad I shared a bit about myself at first because he didn't know much about me and wouldn't know what to say in a letter aside from me doing well in his class.


Did you do the bolded part all in the same conversation? Or did you go have a regular conversation just asking for advice, and then return a few days later to ask?

Thanks for sharing, btw

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12496
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: LOR from LWR prof?

Postby jessuf » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:08 am

LawMan20 wrote:
Jessuf wrote:
I didn't have a problem with this. For one of my professors, I booked his class but never once went to office hours. I saw him outside of school once and talked to him for a bit, but that's about all. In class, I participated on occasion but was by no means a gunner. After I got my grade back, I went to his office hours for advice, and I told him my background, what kind of law I wanted to do, etc. I made sure he got to know me on a more personal level. Then I asked for a letter. A lot of people on the board say all of that is not necessary and to just walk right in and ask for a letter. However, my professor point blank said he was glad I shared a bit about myself at first because he didn't know much about me and wouldn't know what to say in a letter aside from me doing well in his class.


Did you do the bolded part all in the same conversation? Or did you go have a regular conversation just asking for advice, and then return a few days later to ask?

Thanks for sharing, btw


Because I wanted to apply EA, had limited time, and got my fall grades back late, I did it all in one conversation.

StyrofoamWar
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:16 pm

Re: LOR from LWR prof?

Postby StyrofoamWar » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:01 am

.
Last edited by StyrofoamWar on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: LOR from LWR prof?

Postby Cupidity » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:04 am

LWR Prof recs are great, some places specifically ask for them.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.