Any advice would be greatly appreciated

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mordy18

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Postby mordy18 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:02 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a long time reader first time poster.

I'm a 1L at Suffolk University Law School and I received my mid-term grades back and received 4 A's. I received one final grade (Criminal law) and received an A-. I'm interested in civil litigation at a large firm in the northeast. I was wondering what schools I should think about potentially transferring to, and if I should transfer at all and give up these grades.

Thanks in advance.

(This is all contingent on my final grades being like my mid-term grade of course, but I don't think that's going to be much of a problem honestly.)

Ronburgandy2468

Re: Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Postby Ronburgandy2468 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:08 pm

Those are stellar grades for your 1L.
Personally, I would transfer. Though it won't be an awful idea to stay with your grades.
I think BU should serve you very well. It will open you up to NYC and BOS (assuming you want to be in the area).

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:44 pm

Mid-term grades? Is "mid-term" code for final grades for first semester of 1L at Suffolk? Also, are you on a scholarship there? If not, do you know what your chances might be of negotiating a scholarship? Do you know how well the top students from your school have done in the past (I'm assuming you must be looking at top 1-3% right of your class your now)?

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:18 pm

Congrats on killing it.

Columbia/NYU are a reach but definitely worth the app fee. You have a decent shot at GULC, but assuming you only want NYC/Boston I'm not sure it would give you much of an advantage over your current position. Same goes for BC/BU -- probably a sure thing, but I would think the very top of the class at Suffolk does at least as well in Boston as transfers into those schools. However, they might be worth it if you are unlikely to get something out of OCI (not sure what the situation is like at Suffolk) and want a stronger foundation for the 3L job search.

If you have a scholarship I would be even more conservative. Probably only worth giving up those grades for a T10 in that situation.

mordy18

Postby mordy18 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:48 am

Thanks for the responses thus far.

Do you think that it would be worth transferring to BU or BC and giving up my grades and probable position on law review? Where do you think the cutoff is between worth it to stay at Suffolk, and worth it to leave?

I'm interviewing for a 1L Summer Associate position at a reputable Boston firm right now, but I'm not sure the access the school has to the New York market even for top students. If I wanted to stay in Boston would your advice be different concerning BU or BC as opposed to looking into NY? Thanks in advance for any advice anyone has to share.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:08 pm

Do GULC EA.

Return to “Transfers”