Top 8% at a top 40

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
transferquery

Top 8% at a top 40

Postby transferquery » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:47 pm

Posting in order to assess what schools would be within reach given my first semester performance. If they are relevant considerations, my UGPA was 2.5 and my LSAT was 168. From my assessment the consensus seems to be that t14 would be attainable, but I'm interested in thoughts on how high in t14 would be feasible assuming my rank does not change. I have an interest in both a federal clerkship as well as biglaw and do not have any geographic limitations. Any thoughts as to what schools are feasible and the value in transferring to those schools would be greatly appreciated.

3|ink

Re: Top 8% at a top 40

Postby 3|ink » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:16 pm

transferquery wrote:Posting in order to assess what schools would be within reach given my first semester performance. If they are relevant considerations, my UGPA was 2.5 and my LSAT was 168. From my assessment the consensus seems to be that t14 would be attainable, but I'm interested in thoughts on how high in t14 would be feasible assuming my rank does not change. I have an interest in both a federal clerkship as well as biglaw and do not have any geographic limitations. Any thoughts as to what schools are feasible and the value in transferring to those schools would be greatly appreciated.

From first thread in this forum.
Arrow wrote:To transfer into HYS you need:
-top 5-10% at a Top 20
-top 5% at T1
-top 1% at a mid-upper T2
-Other notes: People in the top 1% in the Top 20 generally have a lock on at least one of the holy trinity. I could not find a record of anyone in the lower T2/T3/T4 transferring into HYS. Yale and Stanford only appear to take people in the T1 and up. Also, people in the T2 who transfer to Harvard are pretty much always ranked #1. People have stated that HYS only takes transfers who had a shot as an undergrad. My guess is that this is partially true for YS but not H. I do believe that you need above average softs for HYS, but the data seems to show that numbers alone can do the job.
-according to XxSpyKEx, there was 1 guy who went to HYS from a T4 because he co-authored an article or something
-according to utilitarianjac, someone with a 4.0 from Pepperdine transferred to Yale
-xeoh85, who wrote the legendary article on doing well in law school, was #1 at UCLA and was accepted as a transfer at all of HYS

To transfer into the T14 you need:
-top 10-15% at T1, top 5-10% for CCN
-top 5-10% at a T2, top 5% for CCN
-top 1-2% at a T3/T4
-Other notes: Depending on how far up you want to transfer, you may even succeed if you are ranked top 20-30%. For example, if you are transferring up like 10-15 spots, top 20-30% maybe enough (like a lateral transfer). Also, people in the T3/T4 generally only have a shot at transfer friendly schools in the T14.

So I'd say any non-HYS T14 is fair game.

Let me guess. You're from Mason?

transferquery

Postby transferquery » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:35 pm

Not mason, but within a few ranks. I saw the post that you quoted from, but it doesn't go into as much depth as I'd like in terms of probability or school-specific trends. If that information is known, I'd find it helpful in terms of deciding where to apply.

sillyboots

Postby sillyboots » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:00 pm

I'd personally be curious if anyone has any source to back up Arrow's estimates. I've been looking at past transfer threads for MVPB and it seems pretty exceptionally rare that anyone outside top 5%, even at a t50, gets in (without mention of blowout softs). I heard something once about some transfer yahoo group that supposedly was a goldmine of transfer chance information-- anyone know about this?

FWIW, OP, my impression is that it would be in your interest to transfer T14 if you could, which you should be able to. You might want to look at your school's placement information to see what % get clerkships/biglaw. If it's anything like most schools outside the T14, it's probably pretty negligible and your chances will likely improve from transferring. Transferring into a solid school with a strong brand name should do more for you clerkship wise than having law review at your current school (not always the case, but this is my impression), and transferring to a T14 you're likely to have a much larger audience for your biglaw ambitions, which should generally help your chances.

Again, though, I think it's just as important to research your own school as it is to research potential transfer schools when contemplating transferring. Your school might have really respectable placement in a certain geographical area, and at top 8%, with a good chance that half of the people above you will transfer out, you'd be very close to first in line to get the best offers your school receives. In any case-- good luck!

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:51 pm

We're twinsies. But I've decided I'm probably not going to xfer.

Anyway, Arrow's post seems optimistic from the info I have read/gathered elsewhere. I'd guess you'd had a good chance at GULC and Cornell, but anything below that is going to be a longshot. Still probably worth the app, but it guessing itisn't toooo likely. That said, it is really hard to come up with numbers for transfers anyway, so don't take this as definitive.

I'd try and murder next semester and see if you can pull yourself up a few points. If so, a lot more options may open up. Or if you really want Gtown, do EA now (if the app date hasn't already passed).

Good luck

Return to “Transfers”