Moving logistics for cross-country transfers

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mce252

Moving logistics for cross-country transfers

Postby Mce252 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:57 pm

For those of you who have transferred across country or anyone who has made a big move, I need some insight to help me figure out how this is even possible. I'm married and have summer internships lined up in Texas all summer. If I got into one of my transfer schools across the country, how the hell does this work? I litterally will have maybe a week of free time at the beginning of the summer before I start working. How much time do I really need to move?

We have a two bedroom apartment in Texas with furniture, clothes, kitchen ware, etc. Hiring someone to move it for us will cost thousands. Even if we decide to pay someone to do it, doesn't it take them quite a while to get your stuff to the new city?

Anyway, if I did get accepted into a school across the country, I'm just baffled by how we can possibly make it all come together.

Coolgrnmen

Re: Moving logistics for cross-country transfers

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:02 pm

Mce252 wrote:For those of you who have transferred across country or anyone who has made a big move, I need some insight to help me figure out how this is even possible. I'm married and have summer internships lined up in Texas all summer. If I got into one of my transfer schools across the country, how the hell does this work? I litterally will have maybe a week of free time at the beginning of the summer before I start working. How much time do I really need to move?

We have a two bedroom apartment in Texas with furniture, clothes, kitchen ware, etc. Hiring someone to move it for us will cost thousands. Even if we decide to pay someone to do it, doesn't it take them quite a while to get your stuff to the new city?

Anyway, if I did get accepted into a school across the country, I'm just baffled by how we can possibly make it all come together.

No one said it was easy...especially with a spouse.

But, there is time...from the end of your internship, begin packing immediately. Hire movers to help move up and down stairs if you are in an apartment, otherwise do it yourself. Rent a U-Haul or Penske truck. Budget works too. Drive across country, and begin your classes. Your spouse should basically be willing to do all the unpacking while you try to get integrated at your new school. My girlfriend did this for me and it was amazing. But mine was only a 4 hour move...so, given, it is a little different length-wise.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:04 pm

Mce252 wrote:For those of you who have transferred across country or anyone who has made a big move, I need some insight to help me figure out how this is even possible. I'm married and have summer internships lined up in Texas all summer. If I got into one of my transfer schools across the country, how the hell does this work? I litterally will have maybe a week of free time at the beginning of the summer before I start working. How much time do I really need to move?

Can you sell your apartment furnished and then buy all new stuff? The amount you lose in that transaction will be offset by the cost you would have paid the movers. But then you have all new shit and it was a lot easier.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:06 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:

Can you sell your apartment furnished and then buy all new stuff? The amount you lose in that transaction will be offset by the cost you would have paid the movers. But then you have all new shit and it was a lot easier.

We can't sell the apartment as furnished because we rent here and the management company isn't going to buy our furniture. However, we could sell all our stuff, but time is the issue. It would take a while to individually sell everything. And, when we sell everything, we have to go shopping when we get there and probably spend a couple days building furniture.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:40 pm

bump

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:27 pm

I'm in a similar position. My internship ends the first week of August, and most schools have OCI right after that (one of them the very next day).

Have you looked into UShip? Not sure how much furniture you have, but I have used it multiple times and saved a lot of money on moves. Hiring a UHaul to go cross country is expensive and a pain. Sure, the daily rate is cheap, but you pay per mile and gas is pricey. Plus you will have to worry about hotels, breakdowns, best routes, moving the stuff in and out. I'm going to either sell everything and buy new in the city or use Uship and just fly to the new city and meet the movers there.

I'm going to begin packing and selling stuff I don't need mid-July so that when moving time comes, I can leave as fast as possible.

One thing that IS scary, though, is it is hard to plan for a lot of this if you are applying RD as many schools don't notify you until the end of July.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:29 pm

Sorry, one final thing: When I moved Boston to Florida, I shipped boxes of clothes, books, etc. via UPS, and it was very affordable. Probably $30 for a big box? It was super slow shipping, though. Not slow as in regular UPS ground, but I think maybe they sent them freight because it took maybe 2 weeks to get to my place in Florida.

Return to “Transfers”