Top 1/3rd at T2 to Northwestern? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Even bother to apply? (see below)

Poll ended at Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:39 pm

No. Not even worth the fee.
69%
Maybe. You might get in.
25%
Dude, why haven't you filled out your application already?
6%

Total votes: 51

spleenworship

Gold

Top 1/3rd at T2 to Northwestern?

Post by spleenworship » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:39 pm

I have 10+ years of WE.

Is this even worth applying for? If I was top 10% I would know, obviously. I would love to go to Northwestern, but I was a little short of the LSAT last time, and now I am a lot short of the grades, unfortunately.

Just wondering if the good WE would make up for the lower grades. I read the Arrow transfer advice, but I want to know what you guys think (especially from anyone who has transferred to NW).

Helmholtz

Gold

Re: Top 1/3rd at T2 to Northwestern?

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:48 pm

Top third at school in the GULC / UT / UCLA / Vandy range would probably have a difficult time transferring to Northwestern. Top third is generally credited for a lateral transfer. Not even worth the app fee in this case.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:50 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Top third at school in the GULC / UT / UCLA / Vandy range would probably have a difficult time transferring to Northwestern. Top third is generally credited for a lateral transfer. Not even worth the app fee in this case.
You don't think WE makes a difference? If it was any school but Northwestern I wouldn't even ask, obviously.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:52 pm

spleenworship wrote:You don't think WE makes a difference? If it was any school but Northwestern I wouldn't even ask, obviously.
For reg admissions NU doesn't give a bump for WE, it's just an additional requirement. I don't think that same requirement exists for transfers (however if it did I would imagine it operates the same way, it would be an additional requirement and not a bump).

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:55 pm

wut T2 are you at? there's a big difference between a school in teh 90s and one in the 50s. Anyways, i don't believe top 1/3 will do it for you. my classmates in the top 25 and 20 percent were rejected to schools in the 30s and 40s.

Maybe your work experience will help? I'm not sure. Unfortuneately, it seems like schools place a lot of weight on 1L grades as it is truly the best indicator of being a successful lawyer at this point. you still got a semester to improve your grades, so good luck and work hard!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:56 pm

bk187 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:You don't think WE makes a difference? If it was any school but Northwestern I wouldn't even ask, obviously.
For reg admissions NU doesn't give a bump for WE, it's just an additional requirement. I don't think that same requirement exists for transfers (however if it did I would imagine it operates the same way, it would be an additional requirement and not a bump).

Well, it was worth asking, I guess. Oh well. Top third at my T2 is probably going to get me what I need.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:56 pm

Norwood wrote:wut T2 are you at? there's a big difference between a school in teh 90s and one in the 50s. Anyways, i don't believe top 1/3 will do it for you. my classmates in the top 25 and 20 percent were rejected to schools in the 30s and 40s.

Maybe your work experience will help? I'm not sure. Unfortuneately, it seems like schools place a lot of weight on 1L grades as it is truly the best indicator of being a successful lawyer at this point. you still got a semester to improve your grades, so good luck and work hard!

I can't tell you the school. Sorry.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:02 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Top third at school in the GULC / UT / UCLA / Vandy range would probably have a difficult time transferring to Northwestern. Top third is generally credited for a lateral transfer. Not even worth the app fee in this case.
You don't think WE makes a difference? If it was any school but Northwestern I wouldn't even ask, obviously.
That big of a difference? Definitely not. I'm pretty sure there were a fair amount of transfers to NU this year who didn't have any pre-LS work experience (that's what I heard, but that could be wrong). I don't think they value work experience at the transfer level nearly to the level that they do during the admissions process. And even if they did, it would be like asking if a 160/3.2 had a shot at NU just because they have a decade of work experience.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:12 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
That big of a difference? Definitely not. I'm pretty sure there were a fair amount of transfers to NU this year who didn't have any pre-LS work experience (that's what I heard, but that could be wrong). I don't think they value work experience at the transfer level nearly to the level that they do during the admissions process. And even if they did, it would be like asking if a 160/3.2 had a shot at NU just because they have a decade of work experience.
Gotcha. Fair 'nuff.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:22 pm

You need to kill it this semester. In order to have a small chance you prob need to be in the top 15%. It can be done. I went from top 1/3 1st semester to top 10% after second.

Also consider vanderbilt too if you are within the top 15%. I heard they value work experience too.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:14 pm

Top third isn't enough unless your work experience would make you an exceptional addition to the class & legal employers seek out your expertise. For example, 10 years work experience as a surgeon or as a Congressman should distinguish you enough to overcome your class rank, in my opinion.

wiscohopeful

Bronze

Post by wiscohopeful » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:16 pm

There were people who transferred in (past classes of transfers) without work experience. The vast majority had it though. I'd agree that its more of a requirement rather than a bump in reg admissions, but that it is relaxed a bit for transfers. For transfers all that really matters is your previous LS and your GPA class rank...then you're WE might come into play when fighting over spots in the transfer class with others

seattlegirl

New

Post by seattlegirl » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:29 am

Northwestern definitely values work experience as a transfer. It might give you a big bump if it is very, very solid work experience (read: I-Banking, consulting, finance, etc). However, you will need to be around top 10% from a T2 to have a shot. I transferred to Northwestern from a mid-T2, so it is definitely possible. I also got into a lot of other top 20 schools as a transfer. The transfer system is very, very random (you might get into the school ranked #16 but not get into the school ranked #17 or #30 ). Transfer admissions are NOT just numbers-oriented decisions (like regular admissions that can be pretty easily determined by your UGPA and LSAT score).

Transfer admissions appears to be much more holistic - it is based on soft factors, your essay / goals / reasons for wanting to transfer, your interest in the school, your school ranking, and your 1st year law school class ranking. Softs matter in transfer applications (at least they did in my case).

So, I think as a transfer you should blanket the top 20-30 schools if you are coming from a T2 and are around top 10%-20% (you can exclude the T6 schools unless you are in the top 5% though; and you don't have too much chance if you are much below top 10% at a T14...but if you were in the top 15% or so, I would still apply to the T14). Prepare yourself in advance for rejections (realizing that you might win the golden ticket too)...and enjoy the ride. This transfer application process costs a bunch of money, but it is your one and only shot to transfer, and it gives you options (to stay at your old school and negotiate for more $ or better scholie terms or to transfer and get better OCI / career prospects). More options are always better than less options as a law student ITE...especially when OCI is concerned...so I recommend spending the $ on transfer apps if you can swing it and are at all seriously considering transferring.

IMHO, you should also apply as early as possible...because I think that schools really do a rolling admission process on transfer applications since decisions have to be out by schools in mid-to-late July (or early August at latest) in order to accommodate OCI in early-to-mid-August and you possibly having to move across country. So, schools want to fill their transfer classes as quickly as possible.

Here is something else to think about, which might help in understanding the transfer process. As a transfer, the only way* that you affect the US News rankings of your potential transfer school is to get a job or multiple job offers so that you can boost their employment figures and, simultaneously, boost the school's avg salary. Law firms LOVE people with significant work experience. Ergo, you are more likely to get a job, other things being equal, if you have relevant work experience. So, you should be attractive to a transfer school if you have skills that law firms will eat up / want to hire (e.g. relevant work experience, ability to sit for the patent bar).

* Technically, you also will affect their bar passage rate but that is something that likely a school cannot predict well, so I am excluding it from this analysis.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:26 am

I think we had someone around top 1/4 transfer from my T20 to NW. I doubt they'd go much lower than those credentials. You need to be at least top 10-15% to make that move at a T2.

midwesTT

New

Post by midwesTT » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:16 am

pm'ed you seattle girl...

Indifferent

Bronze

Post by Indifferent » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:25 am

Helmholtz wrote:And even if they did, it would be like asking if a 160/3.2 had a shot at NU just because they have a decade of work experience.
Came here to say this.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”