3.67(~top 6%) at ND/BC/WM...ED to Chicago?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

What are my chances?

Apply and you'll likely be accepted
17%
Apply and you might be accepted, but don't count on it
63%
Apply knowing you'll more than likely be rejected
11%
Don't waste your money
9%

Total votes: 35

LawGuy2014

3.67(~top 6%) at ND/BC/WM...ED to Chicago?

Postby LawGuy2014 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:13 am

Hey guys, new user but long-time follower on this site. Since it seems kind of taboo to talk about grades in law school, I figured I'd get your advice.

I would like to transfer to a more "national" law school, and ED at U Chicago seems like a great opportunity....What I'm wondering is whether I have a chance, or whether admissions at U Chicago will get a good laugh. Please be honest in your answers. Thank you so much!

(P.S. I took the poll format from "Scaliable"--thanks)

LawGuy2014

Re: 3.67(~top 6%) at ND/BC/WM...ED to Chicago?

Postby LawGuy2014 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:44 pm

If anyone wants to give their opinion on the following, please feel free:

The primary reason why I am looking to transfer is because I've decided that I want to go back to the West Coast after law school. However (despite being warned of this), I've found it extremely hard to find any opportunities through my school. The school I'm at feeds highly into a specific city.

If I were to get rejected from ED Chicago, would any of you recommend Georgetown? It seems that Georgetown has a more "national" reputation than my current school, and therefore I'm thinking it would carry more weight on the West Coast. However, I have a substantial scholarship at my school (~50%) so I'm not sure whether transferring the GULC would be worth it.

Any thoughts would be more than welcome!

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:05 pm

LawGuy2014 wrote:If anyone wants to give their opinion on the following, please feel free:

The primary reason why I am looking to transfer is because I've decided that I want to go back to the West Coast after law school. However (despite being warned of this), I've found it extremely hard to find any opportunities through my school. The school I'm at feeds highly into a specific city.

If I were to get rejected from ED Chicago, would any of you recommend Georgetown? It seems that Georgetown has a more "national" reputation than my current school, and therefore I'm thinking it would carry more weight on the West Coast. However, I have a substantial scholarship at my school (~50%) so I'm not sure whether transferring the GULC would be worth it.

Any thoughts would be more than welcome!

T30ish with a 50% scholarship? I'd say that beats Gtown with $100k+ debt. Not to badmouth Gtown, but that scholarship probably makes it worthwhile to stay put.

LawGuy2014

Postby LawGuy2014 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:09 pm

I should clarify: 50% of tuition, not COA.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:12 pm

LawGuy2014 wrote:I should clarify: 50% of tuition, not COA.

COA?

LawGuy2014

Postby LawGuy2014 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:16 pm

Cost of attendance (including living expenses). I know that the scholarship is a big consideration, but looking at my employment prospects if I try to go straight back to the west coast from school, it might be a better investment to spend more money at a school that is likely to help me find a job.

The reason why I'm asking particularly about Georgetown is because, obviously, I'm not sure if my grades will be as good this semester.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:33 pm

Would be silly to transfer from where you are at to Georgetown.

handsonthewheel

Postby handsonthewheel » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:29 pm

Should have a pretty good chance as far as I can tell.

If you keep your grades in the vicinity and apply elsewhere, I'm sure you'll get into a number of T14's (I came from a lower ranked school with a less favorable class rank and was accepted as a transfer for some T14's).

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:26 pm

I have to admit -- I am a bit shocked that the top 6% is that low of a GPA at any of those schools. I would've figured it'd be at least in the 3.7s or 3.8s.

LawGuy2014

Postby LawGuy2014 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:46 pm

TTRansfer wrote:I have to admit -- I am a bit shocked that the top 6% is that low of a GPA at any of those schools. I would've figured it'd be at least in the 3.7s or 3.8s.

To be honest, I was too. We don't get "ranked" until after a full year where I'm at, and so I assumed that my GPA was around the top 20%. My school posted a link of what GPA ranges were according to rankings for the past several years, however, and the cutoff for the top 5% of the class seems to be between 3.65 and 3.7 every year. (I came up with the top 6% figure from the GPA estimator.)

I have seen some posts on this website where a person says that they are in the top 10% with a 3.9x, and I think that is equally shocking. I guess even though law schools generally have a similar median, the distribution can be very different.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:57 pm

Chicago ED is really really difficult and the people that get in are mostly those that could get into YHS or have a super compelling reason to be there. My guess is that you'll be deferred.

If you want the west coast, don't worry about GULC or early applications and just apply to Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, Michigan and Penn when regular admissions start.

LawGuy2014

Postby LawGuy2014 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:17 am

One other question if people feel like giving any more advice:

I just found out about the USC early decision program. The reason I'm looking at transferring is because I'm now 100% sure that I want to work in L.A... I chose a school that places well in NYC but have since decided that I would like to be with my family and just miss L.A. too much.

Does applying for binding early decision at USC seem crazy? Do you think I would get in even without binding? I would love to hear your thoughts.

I know that I might be able to get into Berkeley if I do as well this semester, but does this even matter if I know I want to work in L.A.?

I appreciate any and all responses.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:56 am

I can't imagine ED to USC is going to be an upward move for you. If you need convincing, list out everything you'll be leaving behind at your current school. I'd imagine the following things would be on that list:
Top 6% ranking (and the impressive GPA that goes with it)
LR invite
Scholarship
Professor contacts (and maybe, through them, AIII clerkship prospects)
Friends
Your pick of top jobs in the market you're in
Competitive for T6 transfer
Competitive in LA market because of ties?

Now list even a few of things you'll be taking on at USC:
Marginally increased job prospects in LA (anecdotally, this site is filled with threads on how USC is getting slaughtered at OCI)
Having to explain why ND/BC/WM is even on your transcript while at the same time claiming that LA is the only place you've ever wanted to be
Increased debt (no scholarship + CoL in LA), probably by a lot (unless you're currently at BC and living large in Bean Town)
LR invite
Diminished clerkship prospects
No shiny GPA
Starting over on a network of friends
Starting over building professor contacts

lmtt

Postby lmtt » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:39 pm

I am in an identical position BC 1L, 3.67 (~6%) in the fall, just over 1/2 scholarship. It just doesn't seem like its worth the cost for marginally better career prospects. Plus you run the risk of not doing that well at the higher ranked school. If you have connections on the west coast or at least a semi-compelling story for why you want to be there, finishing top 5-10% at BC gives you just as good of a chance as anything else. If you kill it this semester and are top 1-5% then maybe take a shot at Harvard or Stanford but I think you'd be crazy to transfer to USC at double the tuition.

Return to “Transfers”