Top 20 at Top 25...do I have a chance at Berkeley? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anonymous627

New

Top 20 at Top 25...do I have a chance at Berkeley?

Post by anonymous627 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:50 pm

My semester did not go as well as planned and I have a 3.55 at a top 25 school. I was very close to top ten, but I'm from a small school so its staggered: top 10-15 are the same gpa, and then top 20. If I get my GPA up, and I can get around top 10, do I have a shot at Berkeley? I have ties to the Bay Area.

Thanks

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Re: Top 20 at Top 25...do I have a chance at Berkeley?

Post by Coolgrnmen » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:20 pm

anonymous627 wrote:My semester did not go as well as planned and I have a 3.55 at a top 25 school. I was very close to top ten, but I'm from a small school so its staggered: top 10-15 are the same gpa, and then top 20. If I get my GPA up, and I can get around top 10, do I have a shot at Berkeley? I have ties to the Bay Area.

Thanks
What's the %? or...how many people in your class?

anonymous627

New

Post by anonymous627 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:38 pm

The percentage is the top 20% as there are just the staggered tiers right now. The class size is around 180. We only had 3 grades, so it's a bit annoying with ranking and grades.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:55 pm

anonymous627 wrote:The percentage is the top 20% as there are just the staggered tiers right now. The class size is around 180. We only had 3 grades, so it's a bit annoying with ranking and grades.
Eh, where you are at, I don't think it will happen. If you can manage top 10%, maybe...but if you manage top 10%, then I'm not sure it would be worth the transfer...

sillyboots

New

Post by sillyboots » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:54 pm

The conventional wisdom is that top 10% at a T25 is more or less the cutoff to transfer to Berkeley. I imagine slightly lower rank isn't unheard of, but top 5% getting rejected isn't unheard of either. Whatever the case, working hard to do as well as possible this next semester will work in your favor even if it ends up not being enough to xfer. If Berkeley is a big wish for you, I'd say throw your app in at them if you can get at least top 15% and cross your fingers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Metaread

Bronze

Post by Metaread » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:33 am

So would high second semester grades make up for lower first semester grades? What if you applied as a transfer in the top 20%, will the school wait for your second semester grades if you ask them to?

sillyboots

New

Post by sillyboots » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:43 am

Metaread wrote:So would high second semester grades make up for lower first semester grades? What if you applied as a transfer in the top 20%, will the school wait for your second semester grades if you ask them to?
Insofar as high second semester grades improve your cumulative GPA, absolutely. In terms of just showing you made a big improvement, I think it makes an impression but cumulative GPA would still mostly win out. That is to say, from what I've read, someone who was top 5% both semesters is preferable to someone who was top 20% first semester, then top 2% second semester and say, top 10% overall. When it comes down to two applicants who are both top 10% overall, though, showing you can outperform and perhaps would've been a top student if you understood the lawschool game the first semester might help give an edge. In any case, it's in your favor to do as well as possible second semester.

IIRC you can submit your application whenever they open up for them, and they will wait for your grades, though they won't review your application until second semester grades are in.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:03 pm

sillyboots wrote:
Metaread wrote:So would high second semester grades make up for lower first semester grades? What if you applied as a transfer in the top 20%, will the school wait for your second semester grades if you ask them to?
Insofar as high second semester grades improve your cumulative GPA, absolutely. In terms of just showing you made a big improvement, I think it makes an impression but cumulative GPA would still mostly win out. That is to say, from what I've read, someone who was top 5% both semesters is preferable to someone who was top 20% first semester, then top 2% second semester and say, top 10% overall. When it comes down to two applicants who are both top 10% overall, though, showing you can outperform and perhaps would've been a top student if you understood the lawschool game the first semester might help give an edge. In any case, it's in your favor to do as well as possible second semester.

IIRC you can submit your application whenever they open up for them, and they will wait for your grades, though they won't review your application until second semester grades are in.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”