3.5 at Hastings ---> T14? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Baronessa_Esq

New

3.5 at Hastings ---> T14?

Post by Baronessa_Esq » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:17 am

A in Property, A in Torts, and unfortunately a B- in Civ Pro which hurt drastically. What are my chances of transferring to a T14? :oops:

johansantana21

Silver

Re: 3.5 at Hastings ---> T14?

Post by johansantana21 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:18 am

Is it around top 10%?

Baronessa_Esq

New

Post by Baronessa_Esq » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:35 am

johansantana21 wrote:Is it around top 10%?
Unfortunately Top 19-20% :(

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:00 am

Is everyone on TLS that goes to Hastings looking to transfer? :|

P.S. I'm in the same place. Hopefully, GULC will be friendly to transfers.

Baronessa_Esq

New

Post by Baronessa_Esq » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:15 am

kapital98 wrote:Is everyone on TLS that goes to Hastings looking to transfer? :|

LOL no I think some people actually like it there. I hear GULC typically are, but who knows the numbers vary from year to year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:21 am

Baronessa_Esq wrote:
kapital98 wrote:Is everyone on TLS that goes to Hastings looking to transfer? :|

LOL no I think some people actually like it there. I hear GULC typically are, but who knows the numbers vary from year to year.
I love it at Hastings. I don't really want to transfer, I just feel like I should transfer for better job prospects.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:39 am

Baronessa_Esq wrote:LOL no I think some people actually like it there. I hear GULC typically are, but who knows the numbers vary from year to year.
ilovesf wrote:I love it at Hastings. I don't really want to transfer, I just feel like I should transfer for better job prospects.
I love it at Hastings, too. San Francisco is wonderful. However, GULC places 35% of their class in biglaw. That's 2x as much as Hastings. The same goes for the rest of the T14. That's not something to be taken lightly (though the conventional wisdom on job prospects for transfers varies depending on who you ask.)

When checking where to transfer make sure they allow transfers to participate in OCI. I would love to transfer to Cornell but they don't allow transfers to do OCI -- so there's not much of a point.

Also try to figure out how your GPA will transfer. A 3.5 at Hastings may = top 10% at some schools and 30% at others (just like our curve changes depending on the year.)

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:44 am

Interesting spreadsheet when looking where to apply:

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1

Baronessa_Esq

New

Post by Baronessa_Esq » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:49 am

I def wouldn't say I love it at Hastings but I dont hate it. But yes, if you aren't top 10% the job prospects are pretty sucky at Hastings compared to other schools. Honestly I would like to get out of SF as well and explore other places. One thing I would mind is meeting new people bc I like my friends at Hastings, but other than that everything else is telling me to try and transfer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Baronessa_Esq

New

Post by Baronessa_Esq » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:52 am

kapital98 wrote:Interesting spreadsheet when looking where to apply:

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:53 am

Kapital, I thought all the information about job prospects was just garbage perpetuated by us non-economics enlightened plebes? Glad you're citing it now. It is useful and important info.

OP, you might have an outside shot at the T14, but I think getting your grades up a bit more will do you wonders for transfer opportunities. You're probably just outside the transfer sweet spot. Where do you want to transfer? Where are your ties? Where do you want to work? You want to think about these things when you're looking to transfer. Transferring can be helpful, but it can also turn out to be a bad idea if it doesn't lead to a job, and in some cases isn't worth it. If you can get into a T14, it probably would be worth it, but you just need to weigh the pros and cons and all that good stuff. Good look.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:56 am

romothesavior wrote:Kapital, I thought all the information about job prospects was just garbage perpetuated by us non-economics enlightened plebes? Glad you're citing it now. It is useful and important info.
Kapital, can you explain to me how legal hiring works? I don't get it.

Baronessa_Esq

New

Post by Baronessa_Esq » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:12 am

kapital98 wrote:
When checking where to transfer make sure they allow transfers to participate in OCI. I would love to transfer to Cornell but they don't allow transfers to do OCI -- so there's not much of a point.
WOW!! didnt know that thanks for the heads up!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:15 am

romothesavior wrote:Kapital, I thought all the information about job prospects was just garbage perpetuated by us non-economics enlightened plebes? Glad you're citing it now. It is useful and important info.
I think I've taught you enough lessons Romo. If you want to understand just read all the threads were I ripped your ideas apart and explained labor markets, business cycles, and cobweb models.

I distinctly remembering you telling me I would end up at median. That didn't happen.

Let's not derailed this thread any longer through a flame war. You can PM me.

I will agree with you that 2nd semester grades are going to be critical to transferring. It's entirely reasonable overall rank can go up, or down, by ~10% even with putting in the same amount of effort.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:16 am

Baronessa_Esq wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
WOW!! didnt know that thanks for the heads up!!!
Fordham's the same way. Otherwise, they would be the only lateral transfer to consider for biglaw.

I don't know about the other T14 schools. Hopefully someone on TLS can give you a better idea.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:23 am

kapital98 wrote: I think I've taught you enough lessons Romo. If you want to understand just read all the threads were I ripped your ideas apart and explained labor markets, business cycles, and cobweb models.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:11 am

ilovesf wrote:
Baronessa_Esq wrote:

I love it at Hastings. I don't really want to transfer, I just feel like I should transfer for better job prospects.
If you really love it at Hastings, only apply to Berkeley/Stanford and only consider transferring to one of those schools. Don't feel like you should transfer because you "have to" -- especially if you want to work in SF. And I say this as someone who actually transferred and felt the same way that you did last year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:43 pm

Grizz wrote:Image
Really hoping this catches on.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:45 pm

keg411 wrote: If you really love it at Hastings, only apply to Berkeley/Stanford and only consider transferring to one of those schools. Don't feel like you should transfer because you "have to" -- especially if you want to work in SF. And I say this as someone who actually transferred and felt the same way that you did last year.
Thanks! You give some of the best advice here.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:50 pm

kapital98 wrote:
I think I've taught you enough lessons Romo. If you want to understand just read all the threads were I ripped your ideas apart and explained labor markets, business cycles, and cobweb models.

I distinctly remembering you telling me I would end up at median. That didn't happen.

Let's not derailed this thread any longer through a flame war. You can PM me.

I will agree with you that 2nd semester grades are going to be critical to transferring. It's entirely reasonable overall rank can go up, or down, by ~10% even with putting in the same amount of effort.
I hope you didn't take it personally if he said that, cause you know, half of the people end up median or below, and everyone should be prepared for that. Telling people they should go to school where they will be in an ok place if they are median is good advice.

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:03 am

Must transfer out.... <drools>

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:52 am

DildaMan wrote:Must transfer out.... <drools>
:lol: :lol: :lol:

No one from section 5 will be left come next year :cry:

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:26 am

so many hastings tlsers did really well first semester, and so many are looking to leave.

it's kind of sad. :(

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:28 am

Baronessa_Esq wrote:A in Property, A in Torts, and unfortunately a B- in Civ Pro which hurt drastically. What are my chances of transferring to a T14? :oops:
wow...that's insane. you killed property and torts, but that b- is such a backbreaker. how did that happen? that's still a great first semester.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:26 pm

kapital98 wrote:Also try to figure out how your GPA will transfer. A 3.5 at Hastings may = top 10% at some schools and 30% at others (just like our curve changes depending on the year.)
GPA is irrelevant, what matters is your approximate class rank. Schools above Hastings are either familiar with Hastings' grading curve or able to contact someone who is. Adcomms won't compare a 1L "3.5" to another "3.5", they'll compare you based on where that puts you in your class.

Your GPA also doesn't transfer, if that's what kapital was saying. You'll start clean without a GPA or credits at your new school, just a requirement to take two years of upper-level courses. Your GPA at the new school will be based entirely on the classes you take there. Nearly all schools do it this way, I have yet to hear of an exception.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”