George Washington Early Action Waiting Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lawst

Re: George Washington Early Action Waiting Thread

Postby Lawst » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:15 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Lawst wrote:I did not submit an LOR and I still got in.

Highlighting how, on average, LORs for transfers are utterly worthless.

Agreed.
So, how was your experience as a transfer? Do you feel like you were treated the same overall as people who went to GW for all three years? How are you finding the job market?

2transferornot

Postby 2transferornot » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:16 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Lawst wrote:I did not submit an LOR and I still got in.

Highlighting how, on average, LORs for transfers are utterly worthless.

Hmm unwarranted conclusion? Maybe they are, but how does this prove it didn't help someone else?

mges1321

Postby mges1321 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:32 pm

School: in the 60s
GPA: 3.44
2 LOR's - two law school professors

In at GW - now just waiting to hear more about the process!

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:47 pm

Lawst wrote:Agreed.
So, how was your experience as a transfer? Do you feel like you were treated the same overall as people who went to GW for all three years? How are you finding the job market?

These are questions I would like to see answered, too, if the guys/gals already at GW can answer for us. :D

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:02 pm

Congrats to the admits. For the record, what was your complete date if you got in?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:09 pm

Oh sadface. Did not get in today. T3 curse. I better not get stuck at my current school.

Stats:
T3
3.8x
Top 1%
2 book awards
2 LORs from professors whose classes I booked
Currently on law review, work part time for a firm, do legal pro bono for a PI org, two executive positions for student orgs
Summer internship with fed. dist. judge
Master's degree, 3 years full time work experience, tailored my PS to GWU
Complete on 3/9

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:11 pm

I'm going to guess now that I will get deferred to RD at all of the schools I applied EA at as I'm T3.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:20 pm

Bummer, Jessuf :(

Surprised you aren't in with those stats . . .

opX

Postby opX » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:26 pm

Jessuf wrote:Oh sadface. Did not get in today. T3 curse. I better not get stuck at my current school.

Complete on 3/9

I think its possible you did not get in (at least not yet) because you missed the deadline by 8 days. The Early Action transfer deadline was March 1, 2012.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:27 pm

TTRansfer wrote:

These are questions I would like to see answered, too, if the guys/gals already at GW can answer for us. :D

How many employers come to Fall OCI?

MakeItHappen3

Postby MakeItHappen3 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:28 pm

How Jessuf didn't get in EA with his/her stats begs the question: Is it possible that the admissions committee has not yet reviewed ALL of the apps yet?! If not, opX is probably right.

As for me, no email yet. T4, Top 9%, Masters Degree (3.917 GPA), 5 years of PE, and student org leadership experience.

Congrats to everyone accepted so far, and good luck to those still waiting!
Last edited by MakeItHappen3 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

opX

Postby opX » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:29 pm

Mce252 wrote:Congrats to the admits. For the record, what was your complete date if you got in?

2/29

and the email subject line was they sent out was "GW Law - Transfer Admission" so keep an eye out!!

dudders

Postby dudders » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:30 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:

Last year there were somewhere near 147 employers you could bid on in Symplicity. Symplicity says 147, but some employers had multiple schedules (for different offices, or IP-only tracks) and I'm too lazy to count them individually for you.

Keep in mind they all want to interview the same people.

opX

Postby opX » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:31 pm

MakeItHappen3 wrote:How Jessuf didn't get in EA with his/her stats begs the question: Is it possible that the admissions committee has not yet reviewed ALL of the apps yet?! If not, opX is probably right.

As for me, no email yet. T4, Top 9%, Masters Degree (3.917 GPA), 5 years of PE, and student org leadership experience.

Congrats to everyone accepted so far, and good luck to those still waiting!

yes - schools do wave of admissions for EA, just as in RD. check out yahoo groups to see what I mean.

dudders

Postby dudders » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:31 pm

dudders wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:

Last year there were somewhere near 147 employers you could bid on in Symplicity. Symplicity says 147, but some employers had multiple schedules (for different offices, or IP-only tracks) and I'm too lazy to count them individually for you.

Keep in mind they all want to interview the same people.

Oh apologies I didn't realize this was a transfer-specific thread. So you guys presumably have the numbers OCI employers are looking for and can ignore my snarky last comment.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:34 pm

opX wrote:
Jessuf wrote:Oh sadface. Did not get in today. T3 curse. I better not get stuck at my current school.

Complete on 3/9

I think its possible you did not get in (at least not yet) because you missed the deadline by 8 days. The Early Action transfer deadline was March 1, 2012.

My entire application was technically complete 2/24 or something. They just didn't mark me complete until 3/9.

opX

Postby opX » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:36 pm

Jessuf wrote:
opX wrote:

Complete on 3/9

My entire application was technically complete 2/24 or something. They just didn't mark me complete until 3/9.

did they tell you that they had everything and you were all set? because sending stuff in doesnt mean that it was complete, etc etc.

in any case, dont fret too much, im confident you will get in to a good school with ur numbers

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:40 pm

opX wrote:did they tell you that they had everything and you were all set? because sending stuff in doesnt mean that it was complete, etc etc.

in any case, dont fret too much, im confident you will get in to a good school with ur numbers

Well, they confirmed they received the transcript and letter of good standing in the beginning of February. Then I submitted the LSAC components together on 2/24. I'm pretty sure I count as submitting my application in time.

I wonder if the deferments will come via e-mail as well.

This is totally killing my concentration, and I need it to memorize oral argument stuff for tomorrow morning. Eek!

MakeItHappen3

Postby MakeItHappen3 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:51 pm

Hopefully they just haven't reviewed your app yet. Maybe they only have time to review a few dozen a day. I imagine it takes a while for 5-10 people to coordinate reading through each applicant's resume, PS, and LORs ... not to mention leaving some appreciable amount of time for discussion.

Jessuf wrote:
opX wrote:did they tell you that they had everything and you were all set? because sending stuff in doesnt mean that it was complete, etc etc.

Well, they confirmed they received the transcript and letter of good standing in the beginning of February. Then I submitted the LSAC components together on 2/24. I'm pretty sure I count as submitting my application in time.

I wonder if the deferments will come via e-mail as well.

This is totally killing my concentration, and I need it to memorize oral argument stuff for tomorrow morning. Eek!

opX

Postby opX » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:55 pm

There will be waves of EA admissions. dont worry guys!

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:06 pm

Thanks for the reassurances, everyone!

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:52 pm

MakeItHappen3 wrote:How Jessuf didn't get in EA with his/her stats begs the question: Is it possible that the admissions committee has not yet reviewed ALL of the apps yet?! If not, opX is probably right.

You two shouldn't stress too much, I think they're doing waves of admits. I was probably the first person to submit their application. I submitted it at like 12:30am on February 1st, so it would make sense those who submitted later to have a delay.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Didn't apply, just popped in to say congrats! Do you guys think you'll be attending?

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:02 pm

I'll try to answer some questions. I've gotten some PMs as well, so hopefully this information will help a bit. My biggest advice, however, is to make sure to crush it this semester. I was in your shoes two years ago, and I understand how distracting this whole process can be. In the meantime (e.g. when I'm procrastinating around finals time, then afterwards before commencement), since TLS has been so helpful for me, I'll try to pay it forward by answering some questions. If you want some really in-depth, substantive poasts about OCI, interviewing, etc., I've written quite a few. Search my poasting history, then ask away. Good luck with the semester, and congrats again to the new admits! (although, to be sure, you've still got a lot of work to do!)

Lawst wrote:So, how was your experience as a transfer? Do you feel like you were treated the same overall as people who went to GW for all three years? How are you finding the job market?

It's been great. But 3L fatigue makes the heart grow weary, and I can't wait to GTFO.

Because GW is so big, there's not much of a "fitting in" issue. I have just as many transfer as non-transfer friends (although, admittedly, my best friends are a few transfer students). As far as transfer stigmas go, I haven't experienced any. In fact, my non-transfer friends couldn't give a fck whether I started with them as a 1L or not.

GW is, for some, overwhelmingly big. So if you come from a small school, get ready to be incredibly aggravated over how cluttered a building, built for 800 students and housing 1500, can feel.

Keep in mind I did OCI back in the fall of 2010. I'm also IP (engineering UG, patent interest...if I say IP, this is what I mean), so OCI was a feast for me (as well as many of my IP transfer friends). IIRC, non-IP'ers, however, did not fare as well. If you've got that IP background, you're most likely going to have an easier time than non-IP'ers. I know a handful of TT/TTT/TTTT'ers who were at the tippy-top of their classes and failed to land a biglaw gig. Many of them (again, in my anecdotal experience), however, did get JAG-type jobs, so overall (again, in my experience) transfers as a whole didn't get slaughtered.

At GW, you'll almost undoubtedly get more OCI exposure (e.g. bidding options) than where you are now. Whether that exposure is of a higher quality than you would've gotten at your transferor school, however, depends upon too many variables and is thus beyond my ability to make an informed opinion.

tl:dr, transfer only if you understand that you might not get anything out of OCI. I really don't have enough information about non-OCI hiring, so I can't weigh-in on that.

Also - 3L OCI was laughable, although I often do get emails from the CDO about job postings (I'm employed, so I just delete).

2transferornot wrote:Hmm unwarranted conclusion? Maybe they are, but how does this prove it didn't help someone else?

The operative qualifier was "on average," which remains a viable possibility and not an unwarranted conclusion. I know others who submitted no LORs as well. Moreover, based upon the vast amount of data out there (too lazy to summarize the 2010 transfer cycle), it appears that 1L GPA is far and above the most important indicator of admittance. But I'm not going to engage in an argument about this, so I digress.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:27 pm

So now how many people are waiting on GULC?

Return to “Transfers”