Georgetown EA Applicants

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Hoping5000
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:58 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby Hoping5000 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:18 am

crossarmant wrote:
Lawst wrote:
opX wrote:not sure if that is legal or "ethical".


Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is a no-no that could come back to bite you at some point. Also, you're enclosing a signed document that says you're depositing $1,000 to save your seat. That's probably a contract. But contracts were last semester, so who can remember? :wink:


Okay, well, looks like we're out $1000 then.


Exactly what this sounds like... is this not unethical? True law school is expensive to begin with but if they notify us the day after we submit the deposit.....

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:19 am

The ony unethical thing should be charging $1,000 for a seat deposit.

wiglaf1228
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:05 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby wiglaf1228 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:21 am

Why would anyone transfer early into GW? Have some faith and apply RD to other schools. If your grades slip, it's not like a GW degree is going to pick up any slack for you.

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby Lawst » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:21 am

crossarmant wrote:
Lawst wrote:
opX wrote:not sure if that is legal or "ethical".


Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is a no-no that could come back to bite you at some point. Also, you're enclosing a signed document that says you're depositing $1,000 to save your seat. That's probably a contract. But contracts were last semester, so who can remember? :wink:


Okay, well, looks like we're out $1000 then.


Yep. I'm going to mail mine tomorrow, if not later today. Last year, I had one deposit go missing in the mail, which prompted a last-minute rush to hand-deliver it to an admissions office. So, I like to leave lots of time, and now I do certified mail to make sure someone gets it. Plus, I'm a big stretch for GULC at this point. Now that the dates don't seem to mean anything, I'm back to looking at this realistically. I thought for a day that maybe they saw something in my soft factors that they liked and that I had a shot at GULC, but it's unlikely right now.
If I boost my grades a bit higher and get into a better school for RD, then I guess I lose $1K. But I'm pretty pleased with GW if I don't get into a higher-ranked school.

IsTheFatLadySinging
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:06 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby IsTheFatLadySinging » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:22 am

crossarmant wrote:
Lawst wrote:
opX wrote:not sure if that is legal or "ethical".


Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is a no-no that could come back to bite you at some point. Also, you're enclosing a signed document that says you're depositing $1,000 to save your seat. That's probably a contract. But contracts were last semester, so who can remember? :wink:


Okay, well, looks like we're out $1000 then.


Would love to see you knuckleheads explain that one to the bar

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:25 am

wiglaf1228 wrote:Why would anyone transfer early into GW? Have some faith and apply RD to other schools. If your grades slip, it's not like a GW degree is going to pick up any slack for you.


I merely want the option.

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby crossarmant » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:26 am

Lawst wrote:Yep. I'm going to mail mine tomorrow, if not later today. Last year, I had one deposit go missing in the mail, which prompted a last-minute rush to hand-deliver it to an admissions office. So, I like to leave lots of time, and now I do certified mail to make sure someone gets it. Plus, I'm a big stretch for GULC at this point. Now that the dates don't seem to mean anything, I'm back to looking at this realistically. I thought for a day that maybe they saw something in my soft factors that they liked and that I had a shot at GULC, but it's unlikely right now.
If I boost my grades a bit higher and get into a better school for RD, then I guess I lose $1K. But I'm pretty pleased with GW if I don't get into a higher-ranked school.


Precisely. I felt for a minute there that I was incredibly lucky, like I had somehow nailed it and was super excited on Friday. But I'm a stretch at Georgetown. I don't particularly have any qualms with GW so I'm fine with depositing there. As to applying early to GW, even if your grades slip from top 10% down to top 25% you stand a better chance of getting some kind of worthwhile job at GW than in the same position at a TTT.

That said, when I get my GULC deferral I'll take it as I expected. I'll just nail this semester then with a 4.0 and transfer to Princeton and go into Space Law, so I don't care, everything will be awesome. Not completely depressing.

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby Lawst » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:30 am

IsTheFatLadySinging wrote:
crossarmant wrote:
Lawst wrote:
opX wrote:not sure if that is legal or "ethical".


Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is a no-no that could come back to bite you at some point. Also, you're enclosing a signed document that says you're depositing $1,000 to save your seat. That's probably a contract. But contracts were last semester, so who can remember? :wink:


Okay, well, looks like we're out $1000 then.


Would love to see you knuckleheads explain that one to the bar


Well, yeah, exactly, which is why I'm kissing the $1,000 goodbye. There's no check canceling once you've mailed in your deposit.

DJ5
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby DJ5 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:33 am

crossarmant wrote:
Precisely. I felt for a minute there that I was incredibly lucky, like I had somehow nailed it and was super excited on Friday. But I'm a stretch at Georgetown. I don't particularly have any qualms with GW so I'm fine with depositing there. As to applying early to GW, even if your grades slip from top 10% down to top 25% you stand a better chance of getting some kind of worthwhile job at GW than in the same position at a TTT.

That said, when I get my GULC deferral I'll take it as I expected. I'll just nail this semester then with a 4.0 and transfer to Princeton and go into Space Law, so I don't care, everything will be awesome. Not completely depressing.


180

opX
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:29 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby opX » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:53 am

*chirp chirp*

Hoping5000
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:58 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby Hoping5000 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:10 pm

I just called and they said by end of April.

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby crossarmant » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:12 pm

Hoping5000 wrote:I just called and they said by end of April.


Well, they've got 6 days. Better mean the end of this week and not Monday when GW is due.

opX
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:29 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby opX » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:14 pm

Hoping5000 wrote:I just called and they said by end of April.


decisions rendered or we will hear by end of april?

HappyTransfer2012
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:10 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby HappyTransfer2012 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:48 pm

Not gonna lie this is really frustrating... Please post as soon as you have any activity/ changes

MakeItHappen3
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby MakeItHappen3 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:01 pm

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but according to admissions, the status updates are merely for "administrative recordkeeping purposes." This pretty much puts an end to any one status change being "better" or indicative of anything for that matter. Looks like we're back to square one. That said, the person I spoke with did say the committee is working hard to get decisions out by the end of the month.

HappyTransfer2012 wrote:Not gonna lie this is really frustrating... Please post as soon as you have any activity/ changes

2transferornot
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby 2transferornot » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:35 pm

MakeItHappen3 wrote:Not to be a Debbie Downer, but according to admissions, the status updates are merely for "administrative recordkeeping purposes." This pretty much puts an end to any one status change being "better" or indicative of anything for that matter. Looks like we're back to square one. That said, the person I spoke with did say the committee is working hard to get decisions out by the end of the month.

HappyTransfer2012 wrote:Not gonna lie this is really frustrating... Please post as soon as you have any activity/ changes


But obviously. Did you expect them to say that updated dates mean that you are in/ out?

Hoping5000
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:58 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby Hoping5000 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:42 pm

2transferornot wrote:
MakeItHappen3 wrote:Not to be a Debbie Downer, but according to admissions, the status updates are merely for "administrative recordkeeping purposes." This pretty much puts an end to any one status change being "better" or indicative of anything for that matter. Looks like we're back to square one. That said, the person I spoke with did say the committee is working hard to get decisions out by the end of the month.

HappyTransfer2012 wrote:Not gonna lie this is really frustrating... Please post as soon as you have any activity/ changes


But obviously. Did you expect them to say that updated dates mean that you are in/ out?


I totally agree. A decision has been made for all those whose dates have changed. It is just a question of when they will notify us. How many people still have no status date btw? It seems that they are nearly done "reviewing" everyone.

IsTheFatLadySinging
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:06 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby IsTheFatLadySinging » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:13 pm

Hoping5000 wrote:
2transferornot wrote:
MakeItHappen3 wrote:Not to be a Debbie Downer, but according to admissions, the status updates are merely for "administrative recordkeeping purposes." This pretty much puts an end to any one status change being "better" or indicative of anything for that matter. Looks like we're back to square one. That said, the person I spoke with did say the committee is working hard to get decisions out by the end of the month.

HappyTransfer2012 wrote:Not gonna lie this is really frustrating... Please post as soon as you have any activity/ changes


But obviously. Did you expect them to say that updated dates mean that you are in/ out?


I totally agree. A decision has been made for all those whose dates have changed. It is just a question of when they will notify us. How many people still have no status date btw? It seems that they are nearly done "reviewing" everyone.


Deferment emails went out the 25th last year. Updates spread out the days prior to this email. Seems we are still on pace of last year BESIDES the un/pword backdoor. They probably just fixed that. The only material different is it seems that everyone has had an update this year. Not 100% sure about this, someone probably knows more

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12496
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby jessuf » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:26 pm

I don't get why they would fix the backdoor method for transfers if the 0Ls can still get in that way?

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby 3|ink » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:53 pm

Jessuf wrote:I don't get why they would fix the backdoor method for transfers if the 0Ls can still get in that way?

Maybe they rejected all transfers this year.

YellowDD
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:56 pm

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby YellowDD » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:00 pm

starchinkilt wrote:Checking in on this thread is bringing back memories from last year. Comparing this year's calendar with what happened last year, I got an e-mail asking for spring classes along with a status update earlier today (mon), got the password tomorrow along with another date update (tues), and got access to the site wed night right after midnight. Then I got the letter this upcoming saturday. If they follow last year's timetable this is probably the week things get moving.


Hopefully what happened here will happen this year and some of us will be able to get admitted students passwords tonight :)

Hoping5000
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:58 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby Hoping5000 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:56 pm

YellowDD wrote:
starchinkilt wrote:Checking in on this thread is bringing back memories from last year. Comparing this year's calendar with what happened last year, I got an e-mail asking for spring classes along with a status update earlier today (mon), got the password tomorrow along with another date update (tues), and got access to the site wed night right after midnight. Then I got the letter this upcoming saturday. If they follow last year's timetable this is probably the week things get moving.


Hopefully what happened here will happen this year and some of us will be able to get admitted students passwords tonight :)


None of us had a second date change though.

canesfan1986
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby canesfan1986 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:10 pm

I got updated to 4/24.

I was first updated on 4/23.

YellowDD
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:56 pm

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby YellowDD » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:10 pm

Hoping5000 wrote:
YellowDD wrote:
starchinkilt wrote:Checking in on this thread is bringing back memories from last year. Comparing this year's calendar with what happened last year, I got an e-mail asking for spring classes along with a status update earlier today (mon), got the password tomorrow along with another date update (tues), and got access to the site wed night right after midnight. Then I got the letter this upcoming saturday. If they follow last year's timetable this is probably the week things get moving.


Hopefully what happened here will happen this year and some of us will be able to get admitted students passwords tonight :)


None of us had a second date change though.


It's not 5 yet.

YellowDD
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:56 pm

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby YellowDD » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:11 pm

First updated 4/23

Updated to 4/24




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.