Georgetown EA Applicants

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TTRansfer

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby TTRansfer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:21 pm

DD352 wrote:This question might have been asked and answered in the cluster-f*ck of the last few pages, but does anyone have a good-faith reason to believe that everyone whose status changed today, or didn't change today, will all receive the same decision?

I'm not asking whether status change = admit/deferral, but whether it could mean the SAME THING for everyone, or whether it could be a mix of admittances and deferrals.

Good point and no idea. Would be a lot different than the last two years, though, as far as we can at least tell via the past TLS threads.

candytex

Postby candytex » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:21 pm

No Status Change Today
GPA: 3.82 (Not sure what rank is yet)
School: T50
Received morning email

Submitted recommendation from G-town Alum... Not like this even matters.

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:24 pm

candytex wrote:No Status Change Today
Received morning email

These keep me hopeful that there's good news coming. One would think this was a solid EA acceptance.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:25 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:
candytex wrote:No Status Change Today
Received morning email

These keep me hopeful that there's good news coming. One would think this was a solid EA acceptance.

That's why this whole thing is incredibly odd.

YellowDD

Postby YellowDD » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:28 pm

I have to tell y'all, there is no way the status update means anything. I am not saying it's a rejection or deferment but it can't be an up or down. A friend of mine attends my current law school. We literally had same profs, and same grades in our classes, the only exception being that I got higher marks in two courses. My friend has a 3.6 and I have a 3.8. We even had the same prof write our LOR. Even our PS's were similar in length and nature. My friend got a status update and I did not. With stats this close (other than GPA) there is no way its an acceptance like last year.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:30 pm

YellowDD wrote:I have to tell y'all, there is no way the status update means anything. I am not saying it's a rejection or deferment but it can't be an up or down. A friend of mine attends my current law school. We literally had same profs, and same grades in our classes, the only exception being that I got higher marks in two courses. My friend has a 3.6 and I have a 3.8. We even had the same prof write our LOR. Even our PS's were similar in length and nature. My friend got a status update and I did not. With stats this close (other than GPA) there is no way its an acceptance like last year.

Did he submit before you?

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:31 pm

YellowDD wrote:I have to tell y'all, there is no way the status update means anything. I am not saying it's a rejection or deferment but it can't be an up or down. A friend of mine attends my current law school. We literally had same profs, and same grades in our classes, the only exception being that I got higher marks in two courses. My friend has a 3.6 and I have a 3.8. We even had the same prof write our LOR. Even our PS's were similar in length and nature. My friend got a status update and I did not. With stats this close (other than GPA) there is no way its an acceptance like last year.

Small sample with just one but seems like solid evidence. Someone else had a similar thing where the person at their school with higher grades did not get a status change. Even if 3.6 submitted before 3.8, one would think the .2 difference would more than make that up.

YellowDD

Postby YellowDD » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:32 pm

3|ink wrote:

A week before me.

TTTehehe

Postby TTTehehe » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:35 pm

YellowDD wrote:
3|ink wrote:

A week before me.

All that we have to go on are previous cycles.

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:52 pm

TTTehehe wrote:
YellowDD wrote:
3|ink wrote:

A week before me.

All that we have to go on are previous cycles.

Yeah but it just seems like, from this data here, small as it may be, something is different. Why did this have to happen on a Friday? Any updates the last couple times happen on weekends?

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:54 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:Yeah but it just seems like, from this data here, small as it may be, something is different. Why did this have to happen on a Friday? Any updates the last couple times happen on weekends?

Last year, the 4/20 date was a good thing. So, again, just absolutely no idea on my end. I'm hoping it's good but I'm also not holding my breath.

TTTehehe

Postby TTTehehe » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:05 pm

Yeah but it just seems like, from this data here, small as it may be, something is different. Why did this have to happen on a Friday? Any updates the last couple times happen on weekends?

Yes, I know. But if you look through previous cycles, you will see instances of prime candidates getting deferred EA and accepted a month later. The ranges vary, and are not dissimilar to the current cycle. Not saying that 4/20 = EA. Not rejecting that maybe something changed this year. Just saying that previous cycles are the only observable data we have to go on. Definitely stinks that 4/20 fell on a Friday this year.

wiglaf1228

Postby wiglaf1228 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:21 pm

NO ONE got a status change AND got a morning email. The point of the morning email is probably to assess how many credits to award likely new admits, if the info isn't already on the transcript. Seems the status change is therefore bad.

YellowDD

Postby YellowDD » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:26 pm

We'll we really only have one year to go on. In 2010 they didn't do this date thing they actually updated the status to read "decision." Last year the numbers were crystal clear, there were no T4's who had a status update on 4/18. It was almost exclusive T1's with great numbers and some T2's peppered in. I'm convinced the status update is irrelevant this year.

TransKing20

Postby TransKing20 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:27 pm

has anyone tried the admitted students page?

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:27 pm

wiglaf1228 wrote:NO ONE got a status change AND got a morning email. The point of the morning email is probably to assess how many credits to award likely new admits, if the info isn't already on the transcript. Seems the status change is therefore bad.

So what if the info was on the transcript you got rejected? This is something they figure out after the admit is a credit transfer off of an E.A.

This is what I think. We do not know anything study for your dam finals.

This is what I got:

Top 5-7% at an upper T2
I got an email, but my transcript I am pretty sure had my credits on it and the classes from the last semester.

Admission from GWU so my materials are legit.

I really really think all of this crap does not mean crap.

wiglaf1228

Postby wiglaf1228 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:28 pm

There's no flaw in the argument, and your post is incoherent. Admissions would not contact you requesting information about your spring semester courses if it was not interested in calculating credit totals and course credits that can apply in the fall. The fact that no one got the email AND a status update at the very least means the status update is not a sign of admission.

I am glad your materials are 'legit,' though.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:32 pm

wiglaf1228 wrote:There's no flaw in the argument, and your post is incoherent. Admissions would not contact you requesting information about your spring semester courses if it was not interested in calculating credit totals and course credits that can apply in the fall. The fact that no one got the email AND a status update at the very least means the status update is not a sign of admission.

It does not make a different. I am rather tired today I have been studying all day sorry about that. Did they ask for the classes AND the credits?

wiglaf1228

Postby wiglaf1228 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:33 pm

The admissions office sends these emails as a way of determining whether new students have taken the required classes that GULC demands of its 1Ls; if they haven't, they need to make them up during 2L year.

HappyTransfer2012

Postby HappyTransfer2012 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:35 pm

No the reason people that got the email did not get a status change is because they needed more information regarding current courses and were still under review... My best bet is that the status change just means a decision has been made for you- either in or deferred but that as of 4/20... Plus guys lets talk softs, come on don't you think they matter here for the transfer process? Gulc does not have to report numbers but just wants to take transfers who bring a lot to the table aside from strong grades. Most of us in here are top 10% from top 80 schools who either had a status change or who did not.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:37 pm

wiglaf1228 wrote:The admissions office sends these emails as a way of determining whether new students have taken the required classes that GULC demands of its 1Ls; if they haven't, they need to make them up during 2L year.

Where did you end up going?

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:39 pm

wiglaf1228 wrote:The admissions office sends these emails as a way of determining whether new students have taken the required classes that GULC demands of its 1Ls; if they haven't, they need to make them up during 2L year.

Do you know for a fact that GULC does this or is this conjecture?

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:39 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:

Do you know for a fact that GULC does this or is this conjecture?

It's conjecture.

wiglaf1228

Postby wiglaf1228 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:41 pm

When I applied, I got an email from admissions asking about my spring courses, then an acceptance letter not long after. I did not end up matriculating.

I will say that this makes no sense:

No the reason people that got the email did not get a status change is because they needed more information regarding current courses and were still under review

What classes you are taking now has no bearing on EA decisions. It is only relevant for admits, who may need to take additional courses 2L year. GULC needs to tell them that upon acceptance.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:43 pm

HappyTransfer2012 wrote:No the reason people that got the email did not get a status change is because they needed more information regarding current courses and were still under review... My best bet is that the status change just means a decision has been made for you- either in or deferred but that as of 4/20... Plus guys lets talk softs, come on don't you think they matter here for the transfer process? Gulc does not have to report numbers but just wants to take transfers who bring a lot to the table aside from strong grades. Most of us in here are top 10% from top 80 schools who either had a status change or who did not.

I think soft do come into play. I am rather amazed how much speculation has been going on here regarding the change of status. It could simply mean that they did not need to request more information and touched the files and they updated or something.

We will know by next week just.....the pressure we need for finals if we get in. Stips...more stips...

Return to “Transfers”