Georgetown EA Applicants

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:16 pm

Yeah depending on how my grades turn out. Second semester is very hard for me got an extra class and the topics are bit harder.

I am going to ED to Chicago too..

IsTheFatLadySinging
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:06 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby IsTheFatLadySinging » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:18 pm

crossarmant wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:GWU= where half of us will go if we don't get in here.


More or less. I may cast out a couple of odd apps to Vandy or like Duke/NW or something. I mean everything I've seen about transfer admissions is that it's really all over the place with little formula to who they pick. Like top 10% at a TT getting into NYU who is out at GULC or the like, so why not still cast the net wide if I don't get into GULC.


When fishing it is better to cast with a net than a hook

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:20 pm

IsTheFatLadySinging wrote:
crossarmant wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:GWU= where half of us will go if we don't get in here.


More or less. I may cast out a couple of odd apps to Vandy or like Duke/NW or something. I mean everything I've seen about transfer admissions is that it's really all over the place with little formula to who they pick. Like top 10% at a TT getting into NYU who is out at GULC or the like, so why not still cast the net wide if I don't get into GULC.


When fishing it is better to cast with a net than a hook



Going to ED to Chicago and see how my grades are during the spring and then go for everything else.

I have no interest in Vandy. Part of my attraction to GWU is that it is in a city where I can actually live.

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby crossarmant » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:32 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Going to ED to Chicago and see how my grades are during the spring and then go for everything else.

I have no interest in Vandy. Part of my attraction to GWU is that it is in a city where I can actually live.


My only reservations with GW/GULC is that, unless you are living within immediate proximity to the actual main part of the District of Columbia or Arlington, the place is one gigantic CF. It sprawls on for like a 100 miles in every direction. My brother-in-law lives about 20 minutes outside of downtown when there is no traffic, when taking that drive during morning/evening commute it's nearly 2.5 hours each way. I blame building height restrictions.

I mean, given the significantly better job prospects of GW/GULC and my family/friend proximity to DC it makes too much sense to turn down. But after living in other cities, DC is about as enjoyable to be in as pulling your fingernails off with pliers.

IsTheFatLadySinging
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:06 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby IsTheFatLadySinging » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:42 am

Does anyone know how GT does EA? Do they rank all of the apps and offer admits to a top %? Or just do rolling offers as they were applied up to a certain number?

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby crossarmant » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:55 am

Okay, now with EA acceptances to GW & WUSTL, I am getting antsy and want to hear back from Georgetown ASAP. I have a bad feeling about GULC though...

arigoldwannabe
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby arigoldwannabe » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:03 am

crossarmant wrote:Okay, now with EA acceptances to GW & WUSTL, I am getting antsy and want to hear back from Georgetown ASAP. I have a bad feeling about GULC though...


Congrats. Thats not a bad start to the transfer cycle.

Maybe by next friday we might hear something???

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby 3|ink » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:03 am

crossarmant wrote:Okay, now with EA acceptances to GW & WUSTL, I am getting antsy and want to hear back from Georgetown ASAP. I have a bad feeling about GULC though...

Grats.

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby crossarmant » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:07 am

arigoldwannabe wrote:Congrats. Thats not a bad start to the transfer cycle.

Maybe by next friday we might hear something???


I'm hoping so too. Though last year no movement occurred until the 20th, so I'm not getting my hopes up on that one, probably two weeks until we hear back. Though, really hoping for EA admit because I have this sinking feeling about this semester; it just feels 3x as hard as last semester, you know, ConLaw and all.

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby Lawst » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:36 pm

crossarmant wrote:
arigoldwannabe wrote:Congrats. Thats not a bad start to the transfer cycle.

Maybe by next friday we might hear something???


I'm hoping so too. Though last year no movement occurred until the 20th, so I'm not getting my hopes up on that one, probably two weeks until we hear back. Though, really hoping for EA admit because I have this sinking feeling about this semester; it just feels 3x as hard as last semester, you know, ConLaw and all.


Congrats on the two admits! I am with you on this semester though - con law and civ pro hell, completely.

arigoldwannabe
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby arigoldwannabe » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:54 pm

Lawst wrote:
crossarmant wrote:
arigoldwannabe wrote:Congrats. Thats not a bad start to the transfer cycle.

Maybe by next friday we might hear something???


I'm hoping so too. Though last year no movement occurred until the 20th, so I'm not getting my hopes up on that one, probably two weeks until we hear back. Though, really hoping for EA admit because I have this sinking feeling about this semester; it just feels 3x as hard as last semester, you know, ConLaw and all.


Congrats on the two admits! I am with you on this semester though - con law and civ pro hell, completely.


I'm glad I got civ pro out of the way last semester. Contracts with a first year professor is my tough one.

canesfan1986
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby canesfan1986 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:57 pm

Anyone here taken Property? I have no idea WTF my professor is talking about. She blabbers about policy all the time and never teaches anything. I have hornbooks and I'm going to learn off that. How hard are the exams?

BTW, Contracts isn't bad because you can learn the rules in the Restatement and the UCC and apply those without reference to cases. If you spot issues and can find the relevant rules, you'll be fine.

arigoldwannabe
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby arigoldwannabe » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:27 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:Anyone here taken Property? I have no idea WTF my professor is talking about. She blabbers about policy all the time and never teaches anything. I have hornbooks and I'm going to learn off that. How hard are the exams?

BTW, Contracts isn't bad because you can learn the rules in the Restatement and the UCC and apply those without reference to cases. If you spot issues and can find the relevant rules, you'll be fine.


I feel you on property. My prof was absolutely nuts. Can't help you at all.

I hope Ks is as you say. She just sucks at communication. I swear I wanted to interrupt her this morning to explain damages to everyone. Good thing she is pretty hot.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:07 pm

arigoldwannabe wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:Anyone here taken Property? I have no idea WTF my professor is talking about. She blabbers about policy all the time and never teaches anything. I have hornbooks and I'm going to learn off that. How hard are the exams?

BTW, Contracts isn't bad because you can learn the rules in the Restatement and the UCC and apply those without reference to cases. If you spot issues and can find the relevant rules, you'll be fine.


I feel you on property. My prof was absolutely nuts. Can't help you at all.

I hope Ks is as you say. She just sucks at communication. I swear I wanted to interrupt her this morning to explain damages to everyone. Good thing she is pretty hot.


Read her law review articles

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:02 pm

Gilberts for Property FTFW. Really great fucking supplement.

SammyJ
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:36 pm

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby SammyJ » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:38 pm

TTRansfer wrote:Gilberts for Property FTFW. Really great fucking supplement.


This. Also, if you use the Dukeminier textbook (virtually every prof uses it), use the Emanuel's that is keyed to Dukeminier. It is solid gold.

YellowDD
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:56 pm

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby YellowDD » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:00 pm

What do you all think my chances are for GULC EA: LGPA 3.84, TT?

SammyJ
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:36 pm

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby SammyJ » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:49 pm

YellowDD wrote:What do you all think my chances are for GULC EA: LGPA 3.84, TT?

Rank?

YellowDD
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:56 pm

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby YellowDD » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:31 pm

No ranking until Spring. However, the range for the top ten percent last year was 3.643 – 4.046.

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby apper123 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:48 pm

dsconn2 wrote:In past years, GULC only sent acceptances by snail mail. Email for rejects and deferrals.


I'm a 3L now, but I transferred in and was admitted EA. I was able to find out that I got in by accessing the admitted students site after my status checker updated. Best of luck to you.
Last edited by apper123 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby apper123 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:49 pm

crossarmant wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:Going to ED to Chicago and see how my grades are during the spring and then go for everything else.

I have no interest in Vandy. Part of my attraction to GWU is that it is in a city where I can actually live.


My only reservations with GW/GULC is that, unless you are living within immediate proximity to the actual main part of the District of Columbia or Arlington, the place is one gigantic CF. It sprawls on for like a 100 miles in every direction. My brother-in-law lives about 20 minutes outside of downtown when there is no traffic, when taking that drive during morning/evening commute it's nearly 2.5 hours each way. I blame building height restrictions.

I mean, given the significantly better job prospects of GW/GULC and my family/friend proximity to DC it makes too much sense to turn down. But after living in other cities, DC is about as enjoyable to be in as pulling your fingernails off with pliers.


Living in DC is very enjoyable. I really like it. It's great for a young mid 20s-35 type crowd, especially if single.

If you prefer suburbs, Northern Virginia is a very reasonable place to live and still attend GW/GULC. I know many students with families who live there and commute in. The commute isn't bad at all if you take the metro and, honestly, driving in isn't nearly as bad as it looks/seems as long as you are coming from a suburb right near the city (like Arlington).


dsconn2 wrote:What are my odds?

- T4
- A+, A, A, B+ (highest grade in torts, civ pro, and legal methods)
- 3.83 - 5/227
- Currently research assistant with first semester torts professor (he approached me)
- this coming summer: clerk Fed. Dist. Ct.
- 4 very strong LOR's, all from law profs who basically said they would be stupid not to take me
- very GULC centered PS

I am not sure if my softs will matter at all, but I think I put together a strong application. Any idea what my odds might be?


Not to be a debbie downer, but I know guys with these #s from my transfer year who were not admitted, even in RD. There's a bit of luck with transferring in, and it is more of a "holistic" process since there are likely to me many more "ties" between candidates. I think some candidates made the mistake of thinking they could ride their #s alone, half-assed the essay or other application process (such as following up and such) and were pretty shocked when they didn't get in. Don't rest on your laurels. This is just based on my conjecture and what I've seen from past results.

You are in a great spot, however, as long as you can be consistent with your grades. It also appears based on your "softs" that you are doing everything right. I simply say this more as a general warning to everyone else. (I saw someone say something along the lines of you and he being a "lock" in RD, and I do not think that is the case). Of course, maybe you'll get in EA too!

Keep working hard for 2nd semester, as you will be competitive all over the T14, not just Georgetown.
Last edited by apper123 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:50 pm

Anyone feeling a bit burnt out?

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby crossarmant » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:55 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Anyone feeling a bit burnt out?


Most definitely. I am really finding it hard to focus on work, I'll do like 4 hours of studying and then reward myself with 9 hours of screwing around and TV. I mean, still 2.5 weeks until my first exam, but I'm freaking out a little and just cannot seem to shake my inattentiveness. Also, very worried that good grades first semester do not ensure a repeat performance.

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby apper123 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:00 am

crossarmant wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:Anyone feeling a bit burnt out?


Most definitely. I am really finding it hard to focus on work, I'll do like 4 hours of studying and then reward myself with 9 hours of screwing around and TV. I mean, still 2.5 weeks until my first exam, but I'm freaking out a little and just cannot seem to shake my inattentiveness. Also, very worried that good grades first semester do not ensure a repeat performance.


They do ensure a repeat performance as long as you do the same type of work. I'll be honest: once I got in EA, I did far less studying for my 2nd semester exams 1L year. I mean probably around ~8 focused hours (I'm not counting all the hours I was "studying," but you know how those are) for each class while doing little work during the semester.

GULC is where I wanted to go. My grades weren't exactly the same as first semester, but grades across the board were down and my rank changed little (a very slight drop). If I had put in even a little bit of study, I prob would have even gone up in rank a spot or two.

In my 2L year at GULC I basically followed the same method and continued to get good grades. I got dinged in 2 classes (and honestly getting dinged doesn't hurt that much with a B+ curve), but that's because I got over ambitious and took a notoriously hard grader... twice. The class was filled with overachieving students with a history of success, and my usual method didn't fare so well in the face of that. It was worth it, though, because he was a great professor.

Once you get it, you "get it." Returns on studying start to drop heavily after only a few hours if you already "get it" when it comes to law exams. Most classes can be boiled down to a 3 hour review session with 5-10 basic rules/policy points that you can extrapolate virtually everything else out of.

Just make sure you "get it." (Have I used that phrase enough?) I'm sure you guys, having been successful enough to apply for GULC EA, know what I mean.
Last edited by apper123 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby 3|ink » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:10 am

@ apper123

Can I ask where you transferred from?




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.