Georgetown EA Applicants Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
udonisandtrinity

Bronze

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Post by udonisandtrinity » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:54 pm

I have the option of doing some regulatory work down there in the summer (or in NY), so most likely, I will apply in the next week or two. Hopefully, the summer employer's name will raise some interests with the softs but I don't think any of that matters. Wishful thinking. More wishful thinking considering my GPA.

udonisandtrinity

Bronze

Post by udonisandtrinity » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:57 pm

I may be wrong with the softs for potential transferees from RU-CAMDEN. I imagine this year, you'll need to have LEGITIMATE interests/ties to that area.
Last edited by udonisandtrinity on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oglethorpe

New

Post by Oglethorpe » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:45 pm

Vronsky wrote:GULC EA is a scam.

Chances are, if you can get accepted EA, you will get into a better T10 school in July. Except GULC will make you pay a deposit in May, and keep that $1500 when you bail for a higher ranked law "school."

Even GULC RD has the odor of a scam. I was accepted RD in June (denied EA, thankfully), but the seat deposit deadline is intentionally scheduled before other T10 schools release their decisions. They will not grant an extension to allow you to hear from other schools. Eventually I decided to pass on the seat deposit at GULC and wait for decisions at the T10 schools I applied to, and it worked out.

It all adds up to the Admissions department pocketing thousands of dollars by timing the Transfer application process.

What are you hoping to gain by an EA admission? Some peace of mind during May finals? I doubt that will be the case, because you all will know that if you get accepted EA, there's a strong chance for admission in the T10 and T6. That will keep you working hard through finals.

Georgetown thanks you in advance for your donation of $1500.

I am not rich by any means, but I will gladly come up with $1500 for a sure spot in the T-14...based on 1 semester of grades from a low TT. I'm confident that I will perform similarly well in the spring, but as we all know, there is subjectivity in grading. Nothing is guaranteed by any means.

They probably do it on purpose, but it's still worth having a locked up spot.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:07 pm

Oglethorpe wrote:

Chances are, if you can get accepted EA, you will get into a better T10 school in July. Except GULC will make you pay a deposit in May, and keep that $1500 when you bail for a higher ranked law "school."

Even GULC RD has the odor of a scam. I was accepted RD in June (denied EA, thankfully), but the seat deposit deadline is intentionally scheduled before other T10 schools release their decisions. They will not grant an extension to allow you to hear from other schools. Eventually I decided to pass on the seat deposit at GULC and wait for decisions at the T10 schools I applied to, and it worked out.

It all adds up to the Admissions department pocketing thousands of dollars by timing the Transfer application process.

What are you hoping to gain by an EA admission? Some peace of mind during May finals? I doubt that will be the case, because you all will know that if you get accepted EA, there's a strong chance for admission in the T10 and T6. That will keep you working hard through finals.

100% agreed.

I am not rich by any means, but I will gladly come up with $1500 for a sure spot in the T-14...based on 1 semester of grades from a low TT. I'm confident that I will perform similarly well in the spring, but as we all know, there is subjectivity in grading. Nothing is guaranteed by any means.

arigoldwannabe

Bronze

Post by arigoldwannabe » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:15 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:

100% agreed.

Scam is a bit strong. I think it is a fair trade for the school taking a risk on students based solely off their first semester grades.

If you assume that you do as well second semester as the first, EA is stupid. But we all know what assuming does.....Getting accepted EA to GULC is a solid insurance policy for the t1/TT crowd against their grades slipping second semester. It a bit more significant than "peace of mind"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yabuddy

New

Post by yabuddy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:41 pm

arigoldwannabe wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:

100% agreed.

Scam is a bit strong. I think it is a fair trade for the school taking a risk on students based solely off their first semester grades.

If you assume that you do as well second semester as the first, EA is stupid. But we all know what assuming does.....Getting accepted EA to GULC is a solid insurance policy for the t1/TT crowd against their grades slipping second semester. It a bit more significant than "peace of mind"
Ya I'm going to have to agree with this. Its all about risk and reward

GULC is taking the risk by accepting students based solely on 1 semester, which could very well be a fluke and so they should get some money for that. On a similar note, students are paying for the security of having a T14 acceptance. And while its not the best situation for the students, you have to understand where GULC is coming from

But can we get back to OCI, the big class size and rumors of a crappy OCI worry me. There's got to be some GULC transfers on here that can comment on this

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:11 pm

yabuddy wrote:Ya I'm going to have to agree with this. Its all about risk and reward

GULC is taking the risk by accepting students based solely on 1 semester, which could very well be a fluke and so they should get some money for that. On a similar note, students are paying for the security of having a T14 acceptance. And while its not the best situation for the students, you have to understand where GULC is coming from

But can we get back to OCI, the big class size and rumors of a crappy OCI worry me. There's got to be some GULC transfers on here that can comment on this
Especially for a TT transfer, where OCI at your home school may be incredibly lukewarm, even a less than exceptional GULC OCI would be much better. Sure you may throw down a deposit for it, but hey, worse comes to worst, you're still in at one of the top schools in the nation based off of one semester's work.

EDIT: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transfera ... ows&tbl=23 Here's the OCI database from the Yahoo transfer group. Not exactly great data, but it appears all the transfers who posted got offers. Though, take it with a grain of salt, it's only like 5 responses out of the like 70 transfers.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:32 pm

arigoldwannabe wrote:Scam is a bit strong. I think it is a fair trade for the school taking a risk on students based solely off their first semester grades.

Yeah I agree with this. I went through this process last year and I looked at a GULC acceptance as education insurance. It sucked to drop the money on deposits since I didn't end up going there but I'd do it again if I had the choice.
crossarmant wrote:Especially for a TT transfer, where OCI at your home school may be incredibly lukewarm, even a less than exceptional GULC OCI would be much better. Sure you may throw down a deposit for it, but hey, worse comes to worst, you're still in at one of the top schools in the nation based off of one semester's work.
I agree with this as well. As for OCI, even with a full set of placement data, it would be tough to evaluate. For example, maybe only half the transfers secured an SA but maybe the other half bid on firms that were too prestigious, or only DC firms, or on firms outside their ties, etc. (I'm not saying only half got SAs, I just made that up). I'm just saying that, if you transfer, bidding strategy is absolutely critical and its tough to tell how a transfer class (or any class for that matter) did without knowing everyone's bid list.

cool of law

Bronze

Post by cool of law » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:36 pm

When is the application deadline? Is UC the only other school besides GULC that accepts transfer apps after first semester grades?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bld17

New

Post by bld17 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:45 pm

Was an EA admit at GULC last year and will share some observations with you all.

As for admissions, the most important thing for EA is to have all A or A- on your transcript. I do not know a single EA admit with lower than an A-, but, of course, I am sure exceptions exist.

Transfers I know did quite well at GULC. I know people with SA's with firms ranging from V5 - V100 in major markets. I think OCI success is completely dependent on the school your transferring from. Thus, a student that transfers from GW and a student that transfers from a T4 will have a much different OCI experience. This point cannot be overstated. If you can get into Columbia or GULC from a T4, I do not think your 2L OCI prospects would be different at either school. (I do not know what the difference would be after 2L when you have a record at your new school.) This is not to say that transferring from a T4 will not get you a job, just that the school you are transferring from is the most important factor in 2L OCI regardless of where you transfer to.

jess

Post by jess » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:48 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jess

Post by jess » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:54 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arigoldwannabe

Bronze

Post by arigoldwannabe » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:14 am

Jessuf wrote:So I have my app, PS, resume, transcript, and dean's cert ready. However, not sure when my LORs will arrive. Do I benefit at all by submitting my app now, then submitting my LORs later?

Also, I was reading the 2011 transfer thread to see how nuts everyone went in April. If you post your stats in this thread, I'm going to compile a spreadsheet that tracks everyone's rank, school rank, application status, etc. so it'll be easier to compare data.
Stats:
School range: 45-50

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yabuddy

New

Post by yabuddy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:53 pm

How well does GULC normally place their graduates nationally?

More specifically, do they place well in NYC?

jess

Post by jess » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:26 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:15 am

I want to apply but I'd feel like such a prick asking one of my current professors for a recommendation.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:59 am

udonisandtrinity wrote:I may be wrong with the softs for potential transferees from RU-CAMDEN. I imagine this year, you'll need to have LEGITIMATE interests/ties to that area.
Let's hope my lifelong Virginia residency, family in Northern VA & DC, and interest in their environmental law program are enough of personal ties to DC. Don't really want to stick around to see this place become Rowan.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:04 pm

crossarmant wrote:
udonisandtrinity wrote:I may be wrong with the softs for potential transferees from RU-CAMDEN. I imagine this year, you'll need to have LEGITIMATE interests/ties to that area.
Let's hope my lifelong Virginia residency, family in Northern VA & DC, and interest in their environmental law program are enough of personal ties to DC. Don't really want to stick around to see this place become Rowan.
Are there really that many folks transferring out of RU-C that it will be that competitive for y'all?

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:18 pm

TTRansfer wrote:Are there really that many folks transferring out of RU-C that it will be that competitive for y'all?
I'm not sure. I've heard a few whispers about transferring from a few people, but most of them are thinking of going to RU-N. I don't think most are aware of the GW/GULC EAs and most want to stick around the Philly/NJ area. But then again, I don't really talk to anyone on campus so I'm a bad person to give the general campus vibe.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:21 pm

crossarmant wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:Are there really that many folks transferring out of RU-C that it will be that competitive for y'all?
I'm not sure. I've heard a few whispers about transferring from a few people, but most of them are thinking of going to RU-N. I don't think most are aware of the GW/GULC EAs and most want to stick around the Philly/NJ area. But then again, I don't really talk to anyone on campus so I'm a bad person to give the general campus vibe.
A generally disturbing thing, though, I'd assume. Sucks that they are doing that to the school. Could end up seeing 30+ students transfer out, for sure.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:49 pm

Did you guys write a completely new personal statement? Or did you just update yours to "include the reasons for requesting the transfer"?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:50 pm

3|ink wrote:Did you guys write a completely new personal statement? Or did you just update yours to "include the reasons for requesting the transfer"?
New.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:52 pm

3|ink wrote:Did you guys write a completely new personal statement? Or did you just update yours to "include the reasons for requesting the transfer"?
I wrote a completely new PS, with reasons to transfer, highlighting specific programs they have that I'm interested in as well as my ties to the area. But if you had a good PS initially, I'd just supplement it with reasons to transfer, my initial PS was more of an explanation why my GPA was shit.

arigoldwannabe

Bronze

Post by arigoldwannabe » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:09 pm

I tailored my old one to fit GULC.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:44 pm

Thanks all. I'll probably write a new one.

The explanation is going to be tricky. I have to find a way to say "I want to make more money with my JD" without saying "I want to make more money with my JD."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”