Georgetown EA Applicants

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SammyJ

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Postby SammyJ » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:22 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
3|ink wrote:Based on TFR's response, I think you're safe.

So general census....a transfer student from a T2 would do better at GULC than a T2?

I think it depends on each applicant's situation. Some transfers may be ranked so highly at their previous school that they are a lock to get biglaw there.. On the other hand, once you transfer, you may not be a lock. Generally though, transferring from a T2 to GULC will give you a better shot at getting biglaw. There should be many threads on this exact topic if you are interested in getting some more (and better) information. Good luck either way!

onceandfuturelawyer

Postby onceandfuturelawyer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:57 am

Hey guys,
Emory Law (US News 24) 1L who just submitted his Gtown EA application right before the March 15th deadline. Solid rec and 3.71 GPA, which puts me in the top ten percentile, but not top five percentile, of my class. Absolutely NO extracirricular activities to speak of... I literally just study for 5-6 hours a day, run, eat sandwiches, and play nintendo wii.

Trois questions
1)Odds?
2)When should we be hearing back?
3)Will my lack of extracirriculars hurt me?

Any input is appreciated. Good luck!

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:44 pm

onceandfuturelawyer wrote:Hey guys,
Emory Law (US News 24) 1L who just submitted his Gtown EA application right before the March 15th deadline. Solid rec and 3.71 GPA, which puts me in the top ten percentile, but not top five percentile, of my class.

I'm just another 1L, but I think that given that it's not that huge a jump in the rankings for you, you stand a pretty decent chance.

Also, my application has been complete for about a month now but I just got news that I got a pretty great intern position this summer. I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be worthwhile, now that the application deadline has passed, to email GULC's Admissions and inform them of the summer position. Would adding that even make a difference or would the addition of new info after the deadline only complicate things and make it worse?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:39 pm

crossarmant wrote:Also, my application has been complete for about a month now but I just got news that I got a pretty great intern position this summer. I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be worthwhile, now that the application deadline has passed, to email GULC's Admissions and inform them of the summer position. Would adding that even make a difference or would the addition of new info after the deadline only complicate things and make it worse?

I would e-mail them an updated resume. People did that last year long past the deadline, and it was fine.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:58 pm

I think that I will be taking Georgetown if I get it. Been doing a ton of soul searching. Will probably decline GW and accept Georgetown if I get into both. I will probably just stay where I am at if I don't get into Georgetown or BC/BU/other T14 schools.

With my SA, it doesn't make sense to leave otherwise. I've basically been told by the firm that I will be brought back (since they have brought back their SAs as much as possible) unless I am a complete fuck-up.

So, plz accept me Georgetown.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:59 pm

The professor I spoke with about transferring said it would probably be worth my effort to apply to G-town, but he warned me to avoid GW like the plague.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:07 pm

3|ink wrote:The professor I spoke with about transferring said it would probably be worth my effort to apply to G-town, but he warned me to avoid GW like the plague.

Their job placement fucking sucks. I could still have my SA job lined up regardless of where I go to school, but GW terrifies me. BC and BU on the other hand look great by comparison. Those two schools are underrated, if you ask me.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:41 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
3|ink wrote:The professor I spoke with about transferring said it would probably be worth my effort to apply to G-town, but he warned me to avoid GW like the plague.

Their job placement fucking sucks. I could still have my SA job lined up regardless of where I go to school, but GW terrifies me. BC and BU on the other hand look great by comparison. Those two schools are underrated, if you ask me.

I have heard anecdotal things about GWU's placement. It does place some big law, it is a pretty good school. But then I have also heard that the real job prospects coming out of GWU are for IP people.

MakeItHappen3

Postby MakeItHappen3 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:57 pm

I don't know, GW's median starting salary is pretty impressive, as is its perennial #20 ranking. Are they really not placing well in DC biglaw as of late?

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:23 pm

Realistically when do you think we will hear at the earliest?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:47 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Realistically when do you think we will hear at the earliest?

Around 4/20

arigoldwannabe

Postby arigoldwannabe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:25 am

Jessuf wrote:

Around 4/20

Considering it took 10 months for me to get into my current school, I can handle another month.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:33 am

arigoldwannabe wrote:
Jessuf wrote:

Around 4/20

Considering it took 10 months for me to get into my current school, I can handle another month.

Anyone starting to really hate there current school or experience any "anti-transfer" policies from the administrations? I haven't yet, but there is a lot of out of touch faculty and administrators here that think there T2 is like a Harvard.

arigoldwannabe

Postby arigoldwannabe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:12 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
arigoldwannabe wrote:
Jessuf wrote:

Around 4/20

Anyone starting to really hate there current school or experience any "anti-transfer" policies from the administrations? I haven't yet, but there is a lot of out of touch faculty and administrators here that think there T2 is like a Harvard.

Not from the administration, yet. The professor that wrote my letter of rec. told me i was crazy if I didn't transfer. He was pumped at the idea of me going elsewhere.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:25 am

Found out what I am doing for the summer...should I send an updated resume? I called the said email or updated resume would be ok.

I feel like a resume is more professional what do you folks think? Plus I reformatted my resume and career services made it all snazzy.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:31 am

jarofsoup wrote:Found out what I am doing for the summer...should I send an updated resume? I called the said email or updated resume would be ok.

I feel like a resume is more professional what do you folks think? Plus I reformatted my resume and career services made it all snazzy.

Just had this issue. Sent them an updated resume of mine after getting my summer employment. They replied back with an enthusiastic email thanking me on updating the info... but yeah, who knows... let's hope it helps on the app.

TFR

Postby TFR » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:35 am

status update with date change for completed date!
anyone else have this?

2transferornot

Postby 2transferornot » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:56 am

TFR wrote:status update with date change for completed date!
anyone else have this?

Not me. Did you send in an extra LOR/ transcript/ Dean's certification or something later?

TFR

Postby TFR » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:18 pm

2transferornot wrote:TFR wrote:status update with date change for completed date!anyone else have this?Not me. Did you send in an extra LOR/ transcript/ Dean's certification or something later?

not that i know of... it was complete for over a week then the date changed, i was assuming they started placing people in review...

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:15 pm

Hasn't happened to me as of yet. I'm still on complete 2/24. Anyone else in the same boat?

yabuddy

Postby yabuddy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:17 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:Hasn't happened to me as of yet. I'm still on complete 2/24. Anyone else in the same boat?

Yep

MakeItHappen3

Postby MakeItHappen3 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:40 pm

Does anyone have stats on how many full-time vs. part-time transfers Georgetown accepts every year? I've read that the number of "transfers in" reported to the ABA is usually between 90-100, but am curious if this includes both FT and PT.

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:57 pm

So do we only have one person so far with a status date change?

lnllnl

Postby lnllnl » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:04 pm

TFR wrote:
2transferornot wrote:TFR wrote:status update with date change for completed date!anyone else have this?Not me. Did you send in an extra LOR/ transcript/ Dean's certification or something later?

not that i know of... it was complete for over a week then the date changed, i was assuming they started placing people in review...

When did you originally go complete?

DD352

Postby DD352 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:58 pm

MakeItHappen3 wrote:Does anyone have stats on how many full-time vs. part-time transfers Georgetown accepts every year? I've read that the number of "transfers in" reported to the ABA is usually between 90-100, but am curious if this includes both FT and PT.

Related to this, can anyone speculate as to the number of EA admits compared to the number of EA admission offers?

Return to “Transfers”