Georgetown EA Applicants Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
arigoldwannabe

Bronze

Georgetown EA Applicants

Post by arigoldwannabe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:02 am

Sent in my app yesterday. T1 top 6%.

Who is with me???

crossarmant

Silver

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Post by crossarmant » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:21 am

Sent mine in, you've a much better chance since I'm a long shot. Top 10% at a TT.

arigoldwannabe

Bronze

Post by arigoldwannabe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:07 am

crossarmant wrote:Sent mine in, you've a much better chance since I'm a long shot. Top 10% at a TT.
I still think you are definitely in the running though. I spoke to a guy that was in a slightly worse spot (top 7%) than me last year from my school, and he was deferred. He ended up improving his rank a bit and is at NYU now. We gotta keep up the hard work this semester!

I would like as many opinions as possible from those who have gone through this before.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:16 am

That's at least hopeful. I'm expecting to be flat rejected, so anything besides that will be pleasing. I submitted with my app an economic diversity statement too, not sure how much of an effect that will have on them. I am a white male in my 20s, but I grew up in poverty in Appalachia; I figured this was quite different from the rest of Georgetown's student body seeing how as for their UG 60% of the student body receives no financial aid on a $60k a year bill and only 11% of the school received Pell Grants for need-based aid. So... let's at least hope that diversity statement didn't hurt me.

arigoldwannabe

Bronze

Post by arigoldwannabe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:59 am

crossarmant wrote:That's at least hopeful. I'm expecting to be flat rejected, so anything besides that will be pleasing. I submitted with my app an economic diversity statement too, not sure how much of an effect that will have on them. I am a white male in my 20s, but I grew up in poverty in Appalachia; I figured this was quite different from the rest of Georgetown's student body seeing how as for their UG 60% of the student body receives no financial aid on a $60k a year bill and only 11% of the school received Pell Grants for need-based aid. So... let's at least hope that diversity statement didn't hurt me.
I couldn't see it hurting you either. I think GULC is the only T-14 that i am hesitant about whether the transfer would be worth it. Im not sure if it's just TLS bashing GULC for not being Harvard or whether it is deserved. My state school tuition is 18k, so debt wont be overwhelming for me if i stay. I guess I want some information about how transfers do with regards to OCI and the job search as a transfer to GULC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yabuddy

New

Post by yabuddy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:58 pm

I'm also interested to hear about their OCI, from what I've read on TLS it doesn't sound very good.

I havent applied yet, but I plan on doing so in the next week or two.

I'm at a lower TI, top 5%

arigoldwannabe

Bronze

Post by arigoldwannabe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:58 pm

yabuddy wrote:I'm also interested to hear about their OCI, from what I've read on TLS it doesn't sound very good.

Looks like we are in about the same boat.

As far as OCI goes, I was in correspondence with one of last year's transfers. He said all of the transfers he knew that wanted biglaw got it. He did particularly well ending up with a SA with a V5. Obviously that is just one guy's report. Hopefully this thread can spark some interest in the topic, and we can get participation from those who have solid knowledge on the area. The more info we get, the more informed our decision can be.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:05 pm

arigoldwannabe wrote:
yabuddy wrote:I'm also interested to hear about their OCI, from what I've read on TLS it doesn't sound very good.

As far as OCI goes, I was in correspondence with one of last year's transfers. He said all of the transfers he knew that wanted biglaw got it. He did particularly well ending up with a SA with a V5. Obviously that is just one guy's report. Hopefully this thread can spark some interest in the topic, and we can get participation from those who have solid knowledge on the area. The more info we get, the more informed our decision can be.
Yeah, you guys since you're both near top of you class at T1's have much better chances of BigLaw from your schools without transferring. Different story in my case; especially since I'm at Rutgers-Camden and there's that whole "Merger with Rowan" debacle that's scaring everyone. I'd bite at GULC in a heartbeat.

What range T1s are you guys at? It may just be good to use a GULC acceptance to fight for more money; or if you get into anything Northwestern and up take them up on their transfer offers.

arigoldwannabe

Bronze

Post by arigoldwannabe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:36 pm

crossarmant wrote:
arigoldwannabe wrote:

Yeah, you guys since you're both near top of you class at T1's have much better chances of BigLaw from your schools without transferring. Different story in my case; especially since I'm at Rutgers-Camden and there's that whole "Merger with Rowan" debacle that's scaring everyone. I'd bite at GULC in a heartbeat.

What range T1s are you guys at? It may just be good to use a GULC acceptance to fight for more money; or if you get into anything Northwestern and up take them up on their transfer offers.
UF/FSU. I have heard that schools aren't very accepting of the whole scholarship negotiation at this stage, but I have thought about it and will give it a try if accepted. I dont think I would go to NW, Cornell or Berkeley for personal reasons. The list i put together in my head is: HYS (Obviously, but 99.99% not happening), CCN, MVP, DG. I know a kid at my school who was in a worse spot than me after first semester, but improved to top 4%ish and got NYU. I think i have a fighting chance at D (who says most transfers are in the top 25%) and G, but will need to break into the top 5% to get any of the other. The good news is, like you said before, we are all in a good spot and I feel blessed to be even having this conversation. My LSAT was 3 pts below my schools median and my GPA right at it, so I did not expect to perform better than classmates that were "objectively" smarter than me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:46 pm

arigoldwannabe wrote:UF/FSU. I have heard that schools aren't very accepting of the whole scholarship negotiation at this stage, but I have thought about it and will give it a try if accepted. I dont think I would go to NW, Cornell or Berkeley for personal reasons. The list i put together in my head is: HYS (Obviously, but 99.99% not happening), CCN, MVP, DG. I know a kid at my school who was in a worse spot than me after first semester, but improved to top 4%ish and got NYU. I think i have a fighting chance at D (who says most transfers are in the top 25%) and G, but will need to break into the top 5% to get any of the other. The good news is, like you said before, we are all in a good spot and I feel blessed to be even having this conversation. My LSAT was 3 pts below my schools median and my GPA right at it, so I did not expect to perform better than classmates that were "objectively" smarter than me.
Hey, preaching to the choir here; I had a 2.1 GPA at my undergrad college. I'm not holding my breath on this app, but if I do better next semester I'll probably throw apps all over the place (LSAC fee waiver). I feel incredibly fortunate that an opportunity like this is even possible, especially considering before I found TLS I was debating on attending some T4s; this place really helped me with pointers, aiming high, and how to actually attack LS.

yabuddy

New

Post by yabuddy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:53 pm

crossarmant wrote:
arigoldwannabe wrote:UF/FSU. I have heard that schools aren't very accepting of the whole scholarship negotiation at this stage, but I have thought about it and will give it a try if accepted. I dont think I would go to NW, Cornell or Berkeley for personal reasons. The list i put together in my head is: HYS (Obviously, but 99.99% not happening), CCN, MVP, DG. I know a kid at my school who was in a worse spot than me after first semester, but improved to top 4%ish and got NYU. I think i have a fighting chance at D (who says most transfers are in the top 25%) and G, but will need to break into the top 5% to get any of the other. The good news is, like you said before, we are all in a good spot and I feel blessed to be even having this conversation. My LSAT was 3 pts below my schools median and my GPA right at it, so I did not expect to perform better than classmates that were "objectively" smarter than me.
Hey, preaching to the choir here; I had a 2.1 GPA at my undergrad college. I'm not holding my breath on this app, but if I do better next semester I'll probably throw apps all over the place (LSAC fee waiver). I feel incredibly fortunate that an opportunity like this is even possible, especially considering before I found TLS I was debating on attending some T4s; this place really helped me with pointers, aiming high, and how to actually attack LS.
Its funny you guys say that because I barely got into the school I'm at now, its in the bottom ten of the T1. The next closest ranked school I got into was in the 80's. And I'm with you I just feel lucky to have a shot at transferring to the T14.

But I hope we can get some GULC people in here to talk a little more about transfers at OCI.

arigoldwannabe

Bronze

Post by arigoldwannabe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:27 pm

yabuddy wrote:
crossarmant wrote:
Its funny you guys say that because I barely got into the school I'm at now, its in the bottom ten of the T1. The next closest ranked school I got into was in the 80's. And I'm with you I just feel lucky to have a shot at transferring to the T14.

But I hope we can get some GULC people in here to talk a little more about transfers at OCI.
Just shows you that knowledge of how law school actually works coupled with hard work can pay off big time. I guess part of being smart is doing research before you spend thousands of $$ on something. I would not like to see where I would be if it wasn't for this website. My wife makes fun of me all the time for being on here, but she is now realizing how much it is paying off.

Im sure if we keep the discussion flowing someone with good info is bound to see it. We can also check out the transfer OCI threads.

jess

Post by jess » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:24 pm

Jessuf wrote:i think you all have really great chances at gulc (maybe not ea but def rd). have you looked at the yahoo transfer apps group?
Yeah, the database of former transfers is actually quite helpful for gauging if you have a chance. I think more than anything, it just illustrates the fact that the transfer process is really a crapshoot. People from TTT's in top 10% getting into T10 schools while T1's in top 3% get rejected... I think the schools have something in particular they're looking for with a lot of these applicants. But it seems if you cast a wide enough net, you'll catch something worthwhile.

arigoldwannabe

Bronze

Post by arigoldwannabe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:48 pm

crossarmant wrote:
Jessuf wrote:i think you all have really great chances at gulc (maybe not ea but def rd). have you looked at the yahoo transfer apps group?
Yeah, the database of former transfers is actually quite helpful for gauging if you have a chance. I think more than anything, it just illustrates the fact that the transfer process is really a crapshoot. People from TTT's in top 10% getting into T10 schools while T1's in top 3% get rejected... I think the schools have something in particular they're looking for with a lot of these applicants. But it seems if you cast a wide enough net, you'll catch something worthwhile.
Agreed. It will cost a pretty penny but worth it.

Oglethorpe

New

Post by Oglethorpe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:57 pm

Lower TT. No rank, but somewhere between 2%-5% is my best guess. I'm just getting my application together now. I would also like to know more about OCI for TT transfers. I'm nervous to take on all that debt, but it would be worth it for a big law gig.

Also, I hate personal statements...

arigoldwannabe

Bronze

Post by arigoldwannabe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:58 pm

Oglethorpe wrote:Lower TT. No rank, but somewhere between 2%-5% is my best guess. I'm just getting my application together now. I would also like to know more about OCI for TT transfers. I'm nervous to take on all that debt, but it would be worth it for a big law gig.

Gotta agree with your sentiment about the PS. Mine felt awkward but I got through it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Oglethorpe

New

Post by Oglethorpe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:03 pm

arigoldwannabe wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:Lower TT. No rank, but somewhere between 2%-5% is my best guess. I'm just getting my application together now. I would also like to know more about OCI for TT transfers. I'm nervous to take on all that debt, but it would be worth it for a big law gig.

Gotta agree with your sentiment about the PS. Mine felt awkward but I got through it.

I've got to write a PS and a LRRW memo this weekend...should be fun.

AlexanderSupertramp

Bronze

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:16 pm

I've started an application. Don't know if I am going to send it though. I am in the top two percent at a regional TTT on full scholarship plus stipend. I really love my school and feel almost guilty that I am considering transferring.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:28 pm

Top 4-8% at a low TT. Application done. Going to work on PS this weekend. Then work on getting some LORs after OCI.

Oglethorpe

New

Post by Oglethorpe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:44 pm

TTRansfer wrote:Top 4-8% at a low TT. Application done. Going to work on PS this weekend. Then work on getting some LORs after OCI.

Do you guys think the possibility of transferring will come up at OCI? I can see that being a huge negative for the employers in my region. I wasn't planning on mentioning it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:03 pm

Oglethorpe wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:Top 4-8% at a low TT. Application done. Going to work on PS this weekend. Then work on getting some LORs after OCI.

Do you guys think the possibility of transferring will come up at OCI? I can see that being a huge negative for the employers in my region. I wasn't planning on mentioning it.
Generally, from what I gather, is if you move from a regional market to a new school, you can pretty much scratch working in that city off the list for a while. Beside that, I don't think there's too much in terms of transfer stigma at OCI, at least from what I've seen and heard of previous transfers.

LS-boundNYC

Bronze

Post by LS-boundNYC » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:49 pm

My school (T30) doesn't rank, nor does it give percentiles until the end of the first year. That said, I'm hovering just under 10% based on last year's stats for class of 13/14, and between 10% and 25% for class of 12. Do I have much of a chance at EA? I'll be applying, but am worried it's for naught.

My main reason is that I really want to work in DC. I have good friends and some WE there, but no real personal ties.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:20 pm

GULC EA is a scam.

Chances are, if you can get accepted EA, you will get into a better T10 school in July. Except GULC will make you pay a deposit in May, and keep that $1500 when you bail for a higher ranked law "school."

Even GULC RD has the odor of a scam. I was accepted RD in June (denied EA, thankfully), but the seat deposit deadline is intentionally scheduled before other T10 schools release their decisions. They will not grant an extension to allow you to hear from other schools. Eventually I decided to pass on the seat deposit at GULC and wait for decisions at the T10 schools I applied to, and it worked out.

It all adds up to the Admissions department pocketing thousands of dollars by timing the Transfer application process.

What are you hoping to gain by an EA admission? Some peace of mind during May finals? I doubt that will be the case, because you all will know that if you get accepted EA, there's a strong chance for admission in the T10 and T6. That will keep you working hard through finals.

Georgetown thanks you in advance for your donation of $1500.

udonisandtrinity

Bronze

Post by udonisandtrinity » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:52 pm

They're doing their best to welcome in a huge group of transfer students. They need commitments sooner than other schools because 1) they are very transfer friendly and need prep time 2) make sure they aren't being leveraged for T-10's and take away consideration from other worthy candidates.
Last edited by udonisandtrinity on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”