Georgetown EA Applicants Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
yabuddy

New

Re: Georgetown EA Applicants

Post by yabuddy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:18 pm

I dont know if its just me, but I get the feeling its going to be more competitive than past years. The reason I say that is because I know of at least 3 people from my school (T1) that are applying EA. I dont know what their rank is, but that seems like a lot to be coming from my smaller school (and there are probably others that I dont even know about). If this is going on at other schools it makes me think that it'll be tougher to get in this year.

jess

Post by jess » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:25 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

opX

Bronze

Post by opX » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:28 pm

is your school east coast or?

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:09 pm

yabuddy wrote:I dont know if its just me, but I get the feeling its going to be more competitive than past years. The reason I say that is because I know of at least 3 people from my school (T1) that are applying EA. I dont know what their rank is, but that seems like a lot to be coming from my smaller school (and there are probably others that I dont even know about). If this is going on at other schools it makes me think that it'll be tougher to get in this year.
This is probably hard to conclude. GULC has gotten a ton of transfer applications for quite a while now.

yabuddy

New

Post by yabuddy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:13 pm

Mce252 wrote:
yabuddy wrote:I dont know if its just me, but I get the feeling its going to be more competitive than past years. The reason I say that is because I know of at least 3 people from my school (T1) that are applying EA. I dont know what their rank is, but that seems like a lot to be coming from my smaller school (and there are probably others that I dont even know about). If this is going on at other schools it makes me think that it'll be tougher to get in this year.
This is probably hard to conclude. GULC has gotten a ton of transfer applications for quite a while now.

I agree that its tough to conclude this because I only have a small sample size. But it surprised me that this many people in my school were taking this route. Especially since my school is on the west coast (to answer the previous question).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:08 pm

I've heard some idle talk about it from one or two people. I don't think that (1) most people who idly speak of it will actually go through with it. Many people like their school and the friends they've made there and seem to stick it out where they are instead of jumping. And (2) it seems that most people who aren't on TLS aren't exactly aware of the early app transfers from GULC/GW/WUSTL, etc. So they probably get a tiny fraction of applicants compared to RD.

All merely conjecture and hearsay, but that's my take.

opX

Bronze

Post by opX » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:43 am

i know we've already gone through with it, and we are in it to win it (positive thoughts, positive thoughts), but....

.... for whatever isolated anecdotal advice is worth, big law contact told me transfers are going to have a hard time next year if they want big law. Basically he said that big law is cutting back and taking less chances... apparently we are "chances." I dont think thiis really applies to upper t10. Also, apparently less people are clerking or doing PI because of the economy.

contact actually encouraged me to consider keeping my scholarship money and hustling for a job.

w/e

lets prove them wrong?!

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:40 am

opX wrote:i know we've already gone through with it, and we are in it to win it (positive thoughts, positive thoughts), but....

.... for whatever isolated anecdotal advice is worth, big law contact told me transfers are going to have a hard time next year if they want big law. Basically he said that big law is cutting back and taking less chances... apparently we are "chances." I dont think thiis really applies to upper t10. Also, apparently less people are clerking or doing PI because of the economy.

contact actually encouraged me to consider keeping my scholarship money and hustling for a job.

w/e

lets prove them wrong?!

You mean, let's prove him wrong.

opX

Bronze

Post by opX » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:28 pm

opX wrote:You mean, let's prove him wrong.
unfortunately, two other firm contacts told me the same thing....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:34 pm

opX wrote:
If you get biglaw, it's most likely going to be coming out of a 2L SA position, which will most likely be given from OCI. So, I don't really see how transferring can hurt. Arrow talks about this in the transfer post. Whether you're at the old school or the new school, they're looking at the same first year transcript. It might as well be supplemented by a future with a better brand name school. Of course we're not as desireable as someone who has solid grades at the new school, but that doesn't mean you should stay put if you have options.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:42 pm

Mce252 wrote:If you get biglaw, it's most likely going to be coming out of a 2L SA position, which will most likely be given from OCI. So, I don't really see how transferring can hurt. Arrow talks about this in the transfer post. Whether you're at the old school or the new school, they're looking at the same first year transcript. It might as well be supplemented by a future with a better brand name school. Of course we're not as desireable as someone who has solid grades at the new school, but that doesn't mean you should stay put if you have options.
True, but if you're currently somewhere that takes in 5% BigLaw and at top 10% there, you probably have a much better chance as someone who was top 10% and transferred somewhere that takes 30-40%.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:02 pm

crossarmant wrote:
Mce252 wrote:If you get biglaw, it's most likely going to be coming out of a 2L SA position, which will most likely be given from OCI. So, I don't really see how transferring can hurt. Arrow talks about this in the transfer post. Whether you're at the old school or the new school, they're looking at the same first year transcript. It might as well be supplemented by a future with a better brand name school. Of course we're not as desireable as someone who has solid grades at the new school, but that doesn't mean you should stay put if you have options.
True, but if you're currently somewhere that takes in 5% BigLaw and at top 10% there, you probably have a much better chance as someone who was top 10% and transferred somewhere that takes 30-40%.

Why? If you apply to work for the same firms, what has really changed? If they were willing to give you a look the first time around, are you telling me that transferring is making them not look at you? I think that argument makes sense if we're talking about applying after you get subpar grades at the new school, but I'm referring to OCI, before you even start classes at the new school.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:11 pm

The transfer game is huge this year. I am at a T2 and I think the top 10% or so is trying to transfer out. But I don't think a lot of people have been able to get there applications in by the EA deadlines.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

opX

Bronze

Post by opX » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:29 pm

Mce252 wrote:
opX wrote:
If you get biglaw, it's most likely going to be coming out of a 2L SA position, which will most likely be given from OCI. So, I don't really see how transferring can hurt. Arrow talks about this in the transfer post. Whether you're at the old school or the new school, they're looking at the same first year transcript. It might as well be supplemented by a future with a better brand name school. Of course we're not as desireable as someone who has solid grades at the new school, but that doesn't mean you should stay put if you have options.
I agree with everything you said, thats why I am trying to transfer, except for "I don't see how transferring can hurt." What I was reporting was that apparently some big law recruiters have been explicitly told not to take transfers this year. Being that this came from the directly from big law sources, I tend to believe them.

Personally, I am still going to try and transfer, but people should probably consider this fact when they make their decisions.

edit: they probably will still love transfers from t14 to t5 though. I am pretty sure the recruiter meant tt to t14.
Last edited by opX on Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:33 pm

opX wrote:
Mce252 wrote:
opX wrote:
I agree with everything you said, thats why I am trying to transfer, except for "I don't see how transferring can hurt." What I was reporting was that apparently some big law recruiters have been explicitly told not to take transfers this year. Being that this came from the directly from big law sources, I tend to believe them.

Personally, I am still going to try an transfer, but people should probably consider this fact when they make their decisions.

edit: they probably will still love transfers from t14 to t5 though. I am pretty sure the recruiter meant tt to t14.
I'm skeptical without hearing a reason for why that would be communicated to recruiters. The only thing I've ever heard or read is that many recruiters like transfers because it shows hard work and initiative. "Big law sources" is also a bit vague for my comfort.

opX

Bronze

Post by opX » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:41 pm

Mce252 wrote: "Big law sources" is also a bit vague for my comfort.
If that makes you feel better, sure. I am not making generalizations, I just reported what I have been told.

Like I said, Im still going to transfer if I can - do what you want with the information.

opX

Bronze

Post by opX » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:56 pm

Anyone know when we hear back about EA and how?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jess

Post by jess » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:00 pm

Last edited by jess on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

opX

Bronze

Post by opX » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:51 pm

Jessuf wrote:
opX wrote:Anyone know when we hear back about EA and how?
Mail, beginning around 4/20.

Or via sneakily logging into the admitted students website.
the whole "forgot my password thing" and if they email it to you you are in?

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:35 am

Mce252 wrote: I'm skeptical without hearing a reason for why that would be communicated to recruiters. The only thing I've ever heard or read is that many recruiters like transfers because it shows hard work and initiative. "Big law sources" is also a bit vague for my comfort.
It sounds about as vague as people describing OCI at school and claiming a certain job has already offered, etc. but they've only heard "some dude" got the offer.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:26 pm

Still waiting on my professor to send my LOR to the LSAC. It's been 2 weeks. When is a good time to follow-up?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

opX

Bronze

Post by opX » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:42 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
Mce252 wrote: I'm skeptical without hearing a reason for why that would be communicated to recruiters. The only thing I've ever heard or read is that many recruiters like transfers because it shows hard work and initiative. "Big law sources" is also a bit vague for my comfort.
It sounds about as vague as people describing OCI at school and claiming a certain job has already offered, etc. but they've only heard "some dude" got the offer.
sorry guys, i am not dropping names. Most of TLS is subtle and people often feel the need to prospect their identities or that of employers/recruiters.

The bottom line is, some law firms will not hiring transfers this year, or at least substantially raising the threshold. Prepare yourselves however you see fit.

opX

Bronze

Post by opX » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:46 pm

3|ink wrote:Still waiting on my professor to send my LOR to the LSAC. It's been 2 weeks. When is a good time to follow-up?
did you tell him/her when the deadline was? and that LSAC can take a week to process it?

for the record, my prof had it for amonth, then just sat down arnd wrote it 20 minutues. so dont think all hope is lost.
Last edited by opX on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:48 pm

Regardless of BigLaw transfer stigma, etc; I feel that gainful employment is probably more likely from GULC anyways than from whatever T2-4 we all currently attend. Especially considering we all have a proven track record of doing pretty well in law school.

opX

Bronze

Post by opX » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:51 pm

crossarmant wrote:Regardless of BigLaw transfer stigma, etc; I feel that gainful employment is probably more likely from GULC anyways than from whatever T2-4 we all currently attend. Especially considering we all have a proven track record of doing pretty well in law school.
Agreed - thats why I am transferring anyway (if possible).

plus, my current school's OCI is trash.

-

Thats a good point, anyone have the inside scoop on who is coming to GULC OCI next year?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”