WUSTL 3L Transfer taking questions......

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wustltransfer

WUSTL 3L Transfer taking questions......

Postby wustltransfer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:16 am

Wustl transfer taking questions... I transfered from a t1/t2 top 10%.
Last edited by wustltransfer on Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegalEagle2014

Re: WUSTL 3L Transfer taking questions......

Postby LegalEagle2014 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:52 pm

Spring OCI / employment results relative to other students at WUSTL?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:51 pm

Are there any TTT transfers that you know of?

What are employment or internship prospects like in Chicago or DC?

wustltransfer

Postby wustltransfer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:50 pm

LegalEagle2014 wrote:Spring OCI / employment results relative to other students at WUSTL?

There are like 3 firms that come to spring OCI. I think its the same way at other T25 ish schools. As a matter of fact, I think its like that at t14s too.

Your best chance at getting midlaw/biglaw is to get it in the fall.

OCI in my year was pretty brutal. The students that are from STL and transferred back to STL from a non STL school did very well at OCI. However, the rest didn't do that well. I think only about 5-8 people in my 35 person transfer class have jobs lined up for graduation. I think only 3-4 had SA positions. It is basically par for the course since WUSTL places around 20% in NLJ250 firms anyways. Most of the transfers who transferred in to WUSTL were from T3 and T4 schools.

wustltransfer

Postby wustltransfer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:57 pm

Jessuf wrote:Are there any TTT transfers that you know of?

What are employment or internship prospects like in Chicago or DC?

Yes. Wustl takes a lot of T3 and T4 transfers. I heard there was a transfer from cooley this year. I think accepting a ton of T3 and T4 transfers hurts transfers in general at OCI. I think top 20% will get you into WUSTL from a T3/T4. ~Top 1/3 will get you into WUSTL from a T1 or T2 school.

Il be honest, the opportunities at WUSTL for Chicago and DC are pretty bleak.
Chicago- the Chicago market is really hurting. Wustl doesn't really place well in Chicago anyways. I think its the same problem at other non T14 schools.

DC- DC is also pretty bleak. However, WUSTL started a DC clinic and I think that has been helping students get jobs in DC. I don't think most students get biglaw jobs, but I've heard stories of students getting decent law and non law jobs. Again... ymmv. If you are really set on DC and cant get into GULC, you should consider GW.

In order to get jobs in those places you mentioned from WUSTL, you need to do a lot of your own leg work. Good grades IE (top 15% at WUSTL) are necessary but not sufficient for a biglaw job.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:46 pm

wustltransfer wrote:Yes. Wustl takes a lot of T3 and T4 transfers. I heard there was a transfer from cooley this year. I think accepting a ton of T3 and T4 transfers hurts transfers in general at OCI. I think top 20% will get you into WUSTL from a T3/T4. ~Top 1/3 will get you into WUSTL from a T1 or T2 school.

Il be honest, the opportunities at WUSTL for Chicago and DC are pretty bleak.
Chicago- the Chicago market is really hurting. Wustl doesn't really place well in Chicago anyways. I think its the same problem at other non T14 schools.

DC- DC is also pretty bleak. However, WUSTL started a DC clinic and I think that has been helping students get jobs in DC. I don't think most students get biglaw jobs, but I've heard stories of students getting decent law and non law jobs. Again... ymmv. If you are really set on DC and cant get into GULC, you should consider GW.

In order to get jobs in those places you mentioned from WUSTL, you need to do a lot of your own leg work. Good grades IE (top 15% at WUSTL) are necessary but not sufficient for a biglaw job.

Thanks for the candid advice! I was considering WUSTL because they have EA and I saw they have a DC clinic now. However, I'm really looking for DC first, then Chicago, so I will probably stick to applying to schools in only those areas.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:59 am

I don't want to intrude on what is sure to be a helpful thread, and I'm not a transfer myself, but I've observed the same things that OP is talking about (I'm a 2L). Unless you have a specific reason to come here, like being from STL and wanting to return for a job, you probably are better off not coming here. We take an insane number of transfers. It is probably my least favorite thing about the school actually. Not because I don't like the transfers... we are very welcoming and they're good peeps, but because it is basically taking advantage of most of them. The school takes their tuition dollars and leaves most of them high and dry without a job, all while watering down our employment stats.

Anyways, carry on.

Return to “Transfers”