2LE Transferring Options

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nightstudent
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:41 pm

2LE Transferring Options

Postby nightstudent » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:57 pm

I am currently a second year night student at a fourth tier university with a full ride. I work full time at a professional job. So far, my grades have been straight A's and I am the top student in my class. My LSAT was a 164. Due to changes in my personal/professional situation I am considering a transfer back home. This transfer would bring my wife and I back to the state where our families live. It would also allow me to take advantage of some professional opportunities when I graduate. I had a few questions and would appreciate any help that this community can provide. The specific area that I am looking to transfer to is Northern California.

Is there any chance that I might be offered a merit scholarship by another lower tier university in Northern California? I certainly want to go to an ABA accredited school, but I would prefer to avoid taking on a lot of debt if that is an option.

Is there any chance that I could get into a high ranked university such as UC Hastings, Berkeley or Davis? I realize that I would not get a scholarship to go to a school like this, but would I have a realistic chance?

Is it even worth applying to Stanford or would that just be a waste of $80?

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: 2LE Transferring Options

Postby Wholigan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:25 pm

nightstudent wrote:I am currently a second year night student at a fourth tier university with a full ride. I work full time at a professional job. So far, my grades have been straight A's and I am the top student in my class. My LSAT was a 164. Due to changes in my personal/professional situation I am considering a transfer back home. This transfer would bring my wife and I back to the state where our families live. It would also allow me to take advantage of some professional opportunities when I graduate. I had a few questions and would appreciate any help that this community can provide. The specific area that I am looking to transfer to is Northern California.

Is there any chance that I might be offered a merit scholarship by another lower tier university in Northern California? I certainly want to go to an ABA accredited school, but I would prefer to avoid taking on a lot of debt if that is an option.

Is there any chance that I could get into a high ranked university such as UC Hastings, Berkeley or Davis? I realize that I would not get a scholarship to go to a school like this, but would I have a realistic chance?

Is it even worth applying to Stanford or would that just be a waste of $80?


It's worth applying to Hastings, Berkeley and Davis, assuming you meet their policies for part-time and number of credits. I'd imagine you have a pretty good shot at getting one of Hastings and Davis, if you mean you are #1 in the school, and not just the PT class. I'm not aware of any T1/T2 schools offering scholarships to transfers, so I would not count on that. As for SLS, my $0.02 is that it would be a waste of $80.

Coolgrnmen
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Re: 2LE Transferring Options

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:25 pm

nightstudent wrote:My LSAT was a 164.


Why were you at a TTTT to start with?

nightstudent
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:41 pm

Re: 2LE Transferring Options

Postby nightstudent » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:48 am

Coolgrnmen wrote:Why were you at a TTTT to start with?


I was working at a good position for a major company which fully supported me going to law school and was offering me a very nice in-house legal position upon graduation. The only evening program in my area was at a TTTT, but the TTTT offered me a full ride. They say that your degree only determines your first job, so I was planning on the nice placement diluting the impact of the TTTT degree. However, in this economy nothing is certain and the job at the end of the road is no longer there due to corporate restructuring.

I was admitted to some top 100 schools and some even offered me small scholarships. However, I chose to go with the essentially free TTTT degree which allowed me to keep my day job. Now that I don't have the nice in-house position with a big name corporation waiting for me the risk of a TTTT degree has become much more of an issue. There are also various personal issues that have arisen with my wife and our families which would encourage the move.

I am primarily looking for any insight into my chances of either getting into one of the UC law schools or getting offered a significant scholarship from a t2-t4 school in Northern California. I believe that going to a UC (Davis, Hastings or Berkeley) would greatly increase my professional prospects upon graduation enough to justify the cost. Alternatively, the opportunity for a scholarship may take enough financial bite out of the move to justify it for the personal reasons alone. If anyone here has any other comments on my general situation or thought process I welcome those as well.

Coolgrnmen
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Re: 2LE Transferring Options

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:04 am

nightstudent wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:Why were you at a TTTT to start with?


I was working at a good position for a major company which fully supported me going to law school and was offering me a very nice in-house legal position upon graduation. The only evening program in my area was at a TTTT, but the TTTT offered me a full ride. They say that your degree only determines your first job, so I was planning on the nice placement diluting the impact of the TTTT degree. However, in this economy nothing is certain and the job at the end of the road is no longer there due to corporate restructuring.

I was admitted to some top 100 schools and some even offered me small scholarships. However, I chose to go with the essentially free TTTT degree which allowed me to keep my day job. Now that I don't have the nice in-house position with a big name corporation waiting for me the risk of a TTTT degree has become much more of an issue. There are also various personal issues that have arisen with my wife and our families which would encourage the move.

I am primarily looking for any insight into my chances of either getting into one of the UC law schools or getting offered a significant scholarship from a t2-t4 school in Northern California. I believe that going to a UC (Davis, Hastings or Berkeley) would greatly increase my professional prospects upon graduation enough to justify the cost. Alternatively, the opportunity for a scholarship may take enough financial bite out of the move to justify it for the personal reasons alone. If anyone here has any other comments on my general situation or thought process I welcome those as well.


Personally, I think you should also throw a transfer app to UC Irvine. School is going to be stellar once fully accredited and, let's face it, it is already kicking butt. Something like 100% employment at graduation is the estimate for the class graduating this year.
I think your proven success can place you at Berkeley, Irvine is estimated to rank (one day) somewhere in the top 20 on US News. Obviously Davis and Hastings are also good choices.

You set on California? Georgetown has an EA program that allows you to apply based on your current grades (4.0) and you are not obligated to accept admission.

nightstudent
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:41 pm

Re: 2LE Transferring Options

Postby nightstudent » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:11 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Personally, I think you should also throw a transfer app to UC Irvine. School is going to be stellar once fully accredited and, let's face it, it is already kicking butt. Something like 100% employment at graduation is the estimate for the class graduating this year.
I think your proven success can place you at Berkeley, Irvine is estimated to rank (one day) somewhere in the top 20 on US News. Obviously Davis and Hastings are also good choices.

You set on California? Georgetown has an EA program that allows you to apply based on your current grades (4.0) and you are not obligated to accept admission.


Moving from my current location to a state other than California would be pretty hard on my wife. I already dragged her away from her home state for a prior work transfer and it is very important to her to get back. It also hurts her career if she bounces around too much.

I had forgotten about Irvine, thank you for reminding me about that option. I am pretty confident that they will go on to do great things, because the UC system in general is top notch. I might put an application into UCLA and UCSD as well. At $80 an application it is probably worth it to have those 3 possibilities on the table.

Your comment about Spring grades worries me. Right now I have a 4.0, but as you know A's are never guaranteed on a law exam. Since I technically became a 2L at the end of last semester do you think that there is any chance that the schools will process my application before my Spring grades come out? Typically they say that they won't do this, but typically a transfer student is a 1L with only one set of grades too.

In any case, thank you very much for your thoughtful replies. This forum in general is a great resource for law school information.

Coolgrnmen
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Re: 2LE Transferring Options

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:21 pm

nightstudent wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
Personally, I think you should also throw a transfer app to UC Irvine. School is going to be stellar once fully accredited and, let's face it, it is already kicking butt. Something like 100% employment at graduation is the estimate for the class graduating this year.
I think your proven success can place you at Berkeley, Irvine is estimated to rank (one day) somewhere in the top 20 on US News. Obviously Davis and Hastings are also good choices.

You set on California? Georgetown has an EA program that allows you to apply based on your current grades (4.0) and you are not obligated to accept admission.


Moving from my current location to a state other than California would be pretty hard on my wife. I already dragged her away from her home state for a prior work transfer and it is very important to her to get back. It also hurts her career if she bounces around too much.

I had forgotten about Irvine, thank you for reminding me about that option. I am pretty confident that they will go on to do great things, because the UC system in general is top notch. I might put an application into UCLA and UCSD as well. At $80 an application it is probably worth it to have those 3 possibilities on the table.

Your comment about Spring grades worries me. Right now I have a 4.0, but as you know A's are never guaranteed on a law exam. Since I technically became a 2L at the end of last semester do you think that there is any chance that the schools will process my application before my Spring grades come out? Typically they say that they won't do this, but typically a transfer student is a 1L with only one set of grades too.

In any case, thank you very much for your thoughtful replies. This forum in general is a great resource for law school information.


I don't want to speculate too much...but...

As much sense as it would be for them to consider you since you are technically a 2L already, they probably won't...the admission committee won't convene until scheduled times and they want to consider entire application pools - not just a single student.

With that said, it never hurts to submit your application on the first day they say they will accept it even if your grades from this semester are not in.

Glad my opinions and insights are helpful!

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: 2LE Transferring Options

Postby Lawl Shcool » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:22 pm

There is atleast 1 person I know of at my t10 that transfered in a similar situation to you. Apply to any school you would attend and if they have stated policies about this situation call and talk to a dean personally and sell yourself.

nightstudent
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:41 pm

Re: 2LE Transferring Options

Postby nightstudent » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:40 pm

I would like to again thank TLS for your help. My spring grades came in and I was fortunate enough to maintain my 4.0. Since my initial post there have been life events that have made transferring even more appealing, so at this point I am basically committed to transferring. I am currently intending on applying to the following: UC Berkeley, UC Hastings, UC Davis, McGeorge University, SFU, Santa Clara and Golden Gate.

I have a few remaining questions though and would appreciate any help that TLS can provide.

1. I sent LSAC an official transcript with my grades from winter. My school is preparing a second official transcript with my spring grades. If I apply now will the schools be automatically notified when the new transcript arrives? I am worried that LSAC will just send them the old transcript and that my application will be disregarded as incomplete.

2. While I understand that the probability of admittance is an art and not a science, does anyone have any idea on the chances that I may not get into any of the schools listed above? Due to timing issues I may have to give my employer and landlord notice that I am leaving before I hear from any of these schools. While I am nearly certain that I could get into a regionally accredited school in CA as a backup, I would strongly prefer to go to an ABA accredited school.

Coolgrnmen
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Re: 2LE Transferring Options

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:47 pm

nightstudent wrote:I would like to again thank TLS for your help. My spring grades came in and I was fortunate enough to maintain my 4.0. Since my initial post there have been life events that have made transferring even more appealing, so at this point I am basically committed to transferring. I am currently intending on applying to the following: UC Berkeley, UC Hastings, UC Davis, McGeorge University, SFU, Santa Clara and Golden Gate.

I have a few remaining questions though and would appreciate any help that TLS can provide.

1. I sent LSAC an official transcript with my grades from winter. My school is preparing a second official transcript with my spring grades. If I apply now will the schools be automatically notified when the new transcript arrives? I am worried that LSAC will just send them the old transcript and that my application will be disregarded as incomplete.

2. While I understand that the probability of admittance is an art and not a science, does anyone have any idea on the chances that I may not get into any of the schools listed above? Due to timing issues I may have to give my employer and landlord notice that I am leaving before I hear from any of these schools. While I am nearly certain that I could get into a regionally accredited school in CA as a backup, I would strongly prefer to go to an ABA accredited school.


I don't know about #2, but re: #1:

You should be sending official transcripts directly to the schools, not LSAC. If I remember correctly, LSAC is not transfer friendly.

User avatar
ben4847
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: 2LE Transferring Options

Postby ben4847 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:51 pm

Yes, apply to SLS. I don't know enough to know if there is any chance, but I think a slight chance is worth 80 buck.

nightstudent
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:41 pm

Re: 2LE Transferring Options

Postby nightstudent » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:24 pm

SLS requires a statement from the dean of my undergraduate institution. I can certainly get this to them, but I can't make it by their June 15 deadline. Does anyone have any idea if Stanford will even review applications that don't have this at the time of submission?




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.