Lateral/Downward Transfer

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bujd

Lateral/Downward Transfer

Postby bujd » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:54 pm

I'm wondering what the options are for someone who is looking to transfer laterally or down for non-marital or market reasons. I'm currently at a T25 and I really just don't enjoy it in every single aspect. It became apparent to me very early on that I chose the wrong school. I don't get along with any of my classmates, I don't like the area, the school doesn't really offer me any edge in employment, and I hate the culture here. It has gotten to the point where for the first time in my life, I really think I'm beginning to suffer from serious depression from going here and I'm thinking about getting counseling. Although I can handle myself for the rest of the year in terms of putting up with this place, the thought of being here and dealing with all of this for three years is unbearable.

In terms of my prospects, last semester I followed all of the advice on here and worked incredibly hard for the sole purpose of getting out of here. Unfortunately, I ended up at about the 40% mark. Does this afford me any opportunity to make a lateral transfer? I would even be willing to transfer down, all the way to a T35 school. However, I don't know how schools look at students with my grades. I would imagine even a lower school than mine would rather take someone in the top 5% from a tier two than a 40% from a T25. Any advice (besides do better this semester that is)?

RodneyBoonfield

Re: Lateral/Downward Transfer

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:40 pm

Sorry to hear that. From what I've heard, lateral transfers usually require you to be top 1/3. I could be wrong though. I would assume you should be able to get T35. Where are you thinking about going? Sounds like you should go somewhere with a good social scene and good weather. Also, I would aim all the way down to t50s as well if you are as committed to leaving as you seem to be. Maybe focus on going somewhere with a large population or a big college town? Good luck. Law school sucks, and I hope things pick up for you. Hang in there.

People will also probably encourage you to drop out. That's an option as well, if you're willing to cut your losses.

bujd

Re: Lateral/Downward Transfer

Postby bujd » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:47 pm

Thanks for the response and information. I don't think the dropout route is really in my mind. My drive and passion to become a lawyer is still there, and I am enjoying the process. As weird as it sounds, I've wanted to be a lawyer since the age of twelve. It's mostly just the school and my class that is upsetting. This is a completely new experience for me too. Not to sound too conceited, but I'm a very sociable guy. I was very popular in high school, and had an amazing time and made tons of friends in college. For some reason though, this just isn't the place for me. I guess I'll just do my best this semester to improve, apply at schools ranging from lateral to T40 and see what happens.

Return to “Transfers”