High rank at tier four versus transfer to T2? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TexasStudent

New

High rank at tier four versus transfer to T2?

Post by TexasStudent » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:29 pm

I am currently a 1L at a tier four school in Texas. Based on last semester, I am in the top 1% of my class. Without considering location, would you transfer to a T2 like SMU or U of H as opposed to staying at my current school and keeping my ranking with a near guarantee of law review? Additionally, I have a federal district court internship and mid/big law summer associate position lined up for this summer. I'd love all the advice I can get.

Gold

Re: High rank at tier four versus transfer to T2?

Post by 20130312 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:31 pm

Even ITE, the top 1% at T4 can find pretty good employment. Whereas OCI at a TT could be a crap shoot for you.

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:35 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Even ITE, the top 1% at T4 can find pretty good employment. Whereas OCI at a TT could be a crap shoot for you.

unless the T4 is TSU, in that case good employment will still be hard to find.

TexasStudent

New

Post by TexasStudent » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:38 pm

I'm not at TSU.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:58 pm

I'm not too familiar with Texas schools (and I'll defer to others with more knowledge) but I would think that you have a decent shot at UT. Almost certainly enough of a shot to make it worth the application IMO.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TexasStudent

New

Post by TexasStudent » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:02 pm

quiver wrote:I'm not too familiar with Texas schools (and I'll defer to others with more knowledge) but I would think that you have a decent shot at UT. Almost certainly enough of a shot to make it worth the application IMO.
I probably will just in case. But, if I only got into one of the T2 Texas schools, I'm curious if anyone thinks it's worth the move. I'm really fine where I am. The only major consideration is if I did decide I wanted to clerk, I would think my chances would be considerably better out of a T2. Then again, I'm risking the possibility of not doing as well at the new school. It's really a toss-up and I'm not sure what to do.

wiscohopeful

Bronze

Post by wiscohopeful » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:32 pm

My gut feeling (and i'm not basing this on anything), is that you don't have much to gain from giving up top 1% for a T2 school. The only school I would consider transferring to (in Texas), is UT. Otherwise, you give up cream of the crop status for potential mediocrity at a less than stellar school. UT or stay your ass put.

Enjoy being at the top!

TexasStudent

New

Post by TexasStudent » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

wiscohopeful wrote:My gut feeling (and i'm not basing this on anything), is that you don't have much to gain from giving up top 1% for a T2 school. The only school I would consider transferring to (in Texas), is UT. Otherwise, you give up cream of the crop status for potential mediocrity at a less than stellar school. UT or stay your ass put.

Enjoy being at the top!
Thank you. I'm pretty much in agreement with you. And probably moreso once I know what scholarships I can get next year.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:51 pm

TexasStudent wrote:But, if I only got into one of the T2 Texas schools, I'm curious if anyone thinks it's worth the move.
No. Transferring into a T2 school is rarely worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:24 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
TexasStudent wrote:But, if I only got into one of the T2 Texas schools, I'm curious if anyone thinks it's worth the move.
No. Transferring into a T2 school is rarely worth it.
Why are you aiming so low?

Apply to SMU Dedman and UT for transfer. UT is a long shot, but still possible if you can convince them to let you in. (Yes yes, I know they say something on their website about accepted only if possible the first time around...but still worth the shot).

If you are Top 1%, you are aiming too low at TT schools...IMHO.

fixer

New

Post by fixer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:34 am

Depends where you want to work. If you want to work in Dallas Transfer to SMU. UT might be ranked higher but having a presence in Dallas provides endless networking/job opportunities simply not available to those living in Austin. Same goes for U of H in Houston.

What firms interview on campus at your current school? Regardless of your rank, there are a lot of firms that simply won't hire from less prestigious schools.

Also, SMU let's transfers write on to law review so you don't necessarily lose the opportunity if you transfer.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:55 pm

University of Texas is worthwhile. UHouston if you want to work in Houston. SMU, which is a Tier One (#50), for Dallas.
I don't know anything about Texas Wesleyan or St. Mary's other than their locations. My best guess is that a #1 ranking at St. Mary's would be valuable for the San Antonio market.

Coolgrnmen

Bronze

Post by Coolgrnmen » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:42 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:University of Texas is worthwhile. UHouston if you want to work in Houston. SMU, which is a Tier One (#50), for Dallas.
I don't know anything about Texas Wesleyan or St. Mary's other than their locations. My best guess is that a #1 ranking at St. Mary's would be valuable for the San Antonio market.
St. Mary's is T4...I did my undergrad in San Antonio. St. mary's use to have a good rep in San Antonio, but with UT only 45 minutes away, the good jobs are taken by UT grads. St. Mary's is hardly worth it. All the St. Mary's grads I know are jobless or started their own private practice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:00 pm

I would say UT or stay where you are, if you're in a market where you would be willing to work.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:21 pm

@Coolgrnmen: Agree for the most part, but not for someone ranked #1 at St. Mary's (however, I'm still just offering my best guess).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”