Top 10%, Mid-TT - No Scholarship. Transfer?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Rocketman20

Top 10%, Mid-TT - No Scholarship. Transfer?

Postby Rocketman20 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:48 am

Hey all -

Long-time reader, first-time poster here. I am a 1L at a mid-TT school. I got my grades, and am well within the top 10% of my class. Coming into school, I had absolutely no scholarship (which I know was a major risk in itself). I am fairly happy with the location, market, and school. I am definitely open to the idea of transferring, but it is not a necessity, especially if I can manage to negotiate a scholarship with my current school. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I would go about negotiating for money? (besides the standard threatening to transfer...) Just doesn't seem right that someone sitting at the top of the class should be paying full freight. Any info regarding scholarship negotiation or potential transfer prospects/ideas would be greatly appreciated

bceagles182

Re: Top 10%, Mid-TT - No Scholarship. Transfer?

Postby bceagles182 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:09 am

Rocketman20 wrote:Hey all -

Long-time reader, first-time poster here. I am a 1L at a mid-TT school. I got my grades, and am well within the top 10% of my class. Coming into school, I had absolutely no scholarship (which I know was a major risk in itself). I am fairly happy with the location, market, and school. I am definitely open to the idea of transferring, but it is not a necessity, especially if I can manage to negotiate a scholarship with my current school. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I would go about negotiating for money? (besides the standard threatening to transfer...) Just doesn't seem right that someone sitting at the top of the class should be paying full freight. Any info regarding scholarship negotiation or potential transfer prospects/ideas would be greatly appreciated

This is the only way that works. And you generally need to have a transfer acceptance in hand. Exactly how high in the class are you? If you're only top 10%, you're a borderline t14 candidate for transfer, and probably a safer bet at a t20.

Rocketman20

Postby Rocketman20 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:10 pm

Thanks for the response. I'm literally at the 10% cut-off mark, so I just made it. What's your opinion? I don't see the point in staying at a TT school paying sticker, when I can just transfer up and pay sticker at a "better" school. That being said, I do enjoy the school, area, and people, so if there is a way to effectively negotiate for more $, I'd like to stay.

In the meantime, do you think it's worth applying EA to GULC? Any ideas on money or transfer schools? Thanks.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:13 am

Rocketman20 wrote:In the meantime, do you think it's worth applying EA to GULC? Any ideas on money or transfer schools? Thanks.

I doubt you'll get in, but it's probably worth the app fee for GULC EA. The only other advice we can give you is to buckle down and get further into the top 10% next semester. You may very well get shut out of the T14 with your current rank.

Return to “Transfers”