Top 5% at Upper T2

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
philly87

Top 5% at Upper T2

Postby philly87 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:29 pm

We aren't officially ranked at Temple until the end of the year, but my approximate class rank is right near top 5%.

What apps are worth doing? I don't have a scholarship (but do have in-state tuition), and i'm not against practicing in Philadelphia but it'd be nice to have more opportunities. (EDIT: Would like to have Big Law)

Also, I was thinking about doing a summer abroad program with Temple for the month of June. Does anyone know how this would work with the transfer application process? Also, if I wanted to ask someone in admissions/career planning about that, what's the best way to bring it up? Is it totally cool to say - oh by the way i'm going to be doing transfer applications so how do I do that around this summer program?

keg411

Re: Top 5% at Upper T2

Postby keg411 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:29 pm

OP, get a legal job this summer (even if it's a non-paying job). Don't waste your money on study abroad.

x7227

Postby x7227 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:19 am

philly87 wrote:We aren't officially ranked at Temple until the end of the year, but my approximate class rank is right near top 5%.

What apps are worth doing? I don't have a scholarship (but do have in-state tuition), and i'm not against practicing in Philadelphia but it'd be nice to have more opportunities. (EDIT: Would like to have Big Law)

Also, I was thinking about doing a summer abroad program with Temple for the month of June. Does anyone know how this would work with the transfer application process? Also, if I wanted to ask someone in admissions/career planning about that, what's the best way to bring it up? Is it totally cool to say - oh by the way i'm going to be doing transfer applications so how do I do that around this summer program?

If its Rome, don't do it (imo). Every 2L and 3L I've talked to about Rome has said its a great trip but an awful idea when it comes to employment and future credit problems. If you're gonna stay at Temple, get a summer job first and clear missing the 6 weeks for Rome with them (some employers will be OK with that if you're upfront with them). If you're gonna transfer, well then you've got a couple options (again, imo): 1) Have transfer apps in before you leave (schools will be waiting on your spring grades anyways, but this may require someone in the states to help out); 2) Don't go. Profit. Also don't be afraid to talk with the administration about your pending transfer and see if they won't pony up some dough for you.

Congrats btw!

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:21 am

Sounds like you should (1) transfer and (2) not study abroad

quiver

Postby quiver » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:09 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:Sounds like you should (1) transfer and (2) not study abroad
I agree with this. Also, blanket the T14 and see where you get in. If you can inch your way into the top 5% I think you have a good shot at Penn (and other T14s).

Return to “Transfers”