T2 Transfer to NYU? Top 1%

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lo709

T2 Transfer to NYU? Top 1%

Postby lo709 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:26 pm

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

I just got all first semester grades back and I am top 1% with over a 4.0. I chose a lower tier school over a few T20-30 options because of the full ride, and because I was honestly not sure if I was going to be good at law school - I've never been a particularly strong student. I didn't have a very good GPA in college (3.4) and I didn't do as well as I wanted to on the LSAT so I decided to take the option with the lowest downside - that is to say, even if I didn't do spectacularly well, I wouldn't have a crazy amount of debt to pay back upon graduation.

I have two years of experience working for a V5 along with an internship at a bank. Ivy undergrad. White male. Strong undergrad softs, good interviewer.

What are my chances for transferring to NYU assuming I maintain my grades for the current semester? More importantly, how much will the transfer stigma affect my OCI at NYU, assuming a successful transfer?

On the other hand, what are people's thoughts on remaining at the current school and taking the chance on the weak (read: horrendous) OCI that they provide, and hoping to land a big lawl job that way?

My objective is to work in big law for a few years to build a small nest egg and then go out on my own or to a very small firm.

CanadianWolf

Re: T2 Transfer to NYU? Top 1%

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:33 pm

Coinsider Harvard, Columbia, NYU & Chicago as well as Penn. Chicago accepts transfers based on first semester grades but the decision is in the form of binding ED.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:51 pm

lo709 wrote:Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

I just got all first semester grades back and I am top 1% with over a 4.0. I chose a lower tier school over a few T20-30 options because of the full ride, and because I was honestly not sure if I was going to be good at law school - I've never been a particularly strong student. I didn't have a very good GPA in college (3.4) and I didn't do as well as I wanted to on the LSAT so I decided to take the option with the lowest downside - that is to say, even if I didn't do spectacularly well, I wouldn't have a crazy amount of debt to pay back upon graduation.

I have two years of experience working for a V5 along with an internship at a bank. Ivy undergrad. White male. Strong undergrad softs, good interviewer.

What are my chances for transferring to NYU assuming I maintain my grades for the current semester? More importantly, how much will the transfer stigma affect my OCI at NYU, assuming a successful transfer?

On the other hand, what are people's thoughts on remaining at the current school and taking the chance on the weak (read: horrendous) OCI that they provide, and hoping to land a big lawl job that way?

My objective is to work in big law for a few years to build a small nest egg and then go out on my own or to a very small firm.

Where do you go to school?
Where do you want to practice?
And how large is your current scholarship?

In most cases, you're probably better off transferring, but the answers to the above can change that. The problem is that it's hard to assume that you can maintain top 1%. There is a fair amount of luck involved, and that can mean the difference between top 1% and top 5%.

lo709

Postby lo709 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:03 pm

T2 is New York city, I want to work in New York city. Scholly is 100 percent with top 40 percent stip.

Law school grading is random I agree - a lot of my friends got A's and A-'s in all classes and then got a random B- in one class seemingly out of nowhere. I realize that I am on the good end of the random stick.

How much would the transfer chances change given your suggested drop of 1% to top 5%? Will it be significantly impacted?

lo709

Postby lo709 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:29 pm

Anyone else?

westbayguy

Postby westbayguy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:38 pm

If you want NY and BigLaw- NYU or Columbia make the most sense. See what $ they offer you.

YOU might also look at your T2 OCI results- if the top of the class places well in NYC- staying might be a reasonable alternative- unless NYU or Columbia comes through with $$.

Lastly ask here or at schools how transfers are treated at OCI- it varies from school to school.

Lastly, consider whether you want to clerk, as the opportunities will differ from school to school.

crazyblink653

Postby crazyblink653 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:46 pm

westbayguy wrote:If you want NY and BigLaw- NYU or Columbia make the most sense. See what $ they offer you.

YOU might also look at your T2 OCI results- if the top of the class places well in NYC- staying might be a reasonable alternative- unless NYU or Columbia comes through with $$.

Lastly ask here or at schools how transfers are treated at OCI- it varies from school to school.

Lastly, consider whether you want to clerk, as the opportunities will differ from school to school.

they won't give you any money as a transfer.

given your work experience, Ivy undergrad, and taking you at your word that you're a good interviewer, you should have no problem during OCI at a new school. there are a handful of firms and individual interviewers that look down on transfer but they're in the minority. for the most part being a transfer's perceived as either an advantage or as a non factor.

however, if you want nyc big law, you can get that just as easily from penn or michigan as a transfer. since you'll have no scholarship when you transfer you might consider a school like penn instead of nyu or columbia, since the COL in philly is WAY less than it is in NYC, so you could at least save money there over your last two years.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:46 pm

Dear OP - I was in a remarkably similar position to you last year: finished top 1% at a NYC-area T2 and ended up transferring to Columbia. I will try to give you a few suggestions and answer some of the questions you asked:

1. If you drop from 1% to 5%, that's a big change in the schools that will likely accept you. Think more T14-20 schools, rather than T10 and T6. I know it's very possible to slip too, because I was on the other side of that drop. I was probably around 3-5% after first semester but (extra) rocked second semester and shot up to top 1%.

You have to realize that everyone learns from first semester, and will improve at the exam gamemanship that you already have figured out. So you must improve too - I would recommend going over your exams, even those you aced, to see where you did well and where you can improve. This is particularly important if you have any courses that span two semesters.

2. Re: Employment Prospects. The caliber of the NYC T2 really does make a different. I know from having been through the OCI process and taking a look at the schools where different top firms officially interview. Brooklyn and Cardozo and NYLS get a fair number of firms who come directly to the campus.

Given that you have already worked at a V5 and have some banking experience, I'm sure you'll be able to land a decent job whatever you do. The question you should ask yourself is, how critical is it to work at a V5? You will have much greater access to those firms if you transfer. In my transfer class, there are several students going to Cravath, Kirkland, Cleary, and other similarly awesome firms. Many others are headed to firms in the V10-V30 range.

Looking back on my transfer decision, I can say now that I probably would have been able to land a V100 SA if I had stayed at my school last year, and would've come out of school with about $90k less in debt (I wasn't full scholly but 3/4). Having transferred, I had much more exposure to top firms. (I even interviewed with WLRK even though I had no shot... but it was kind of surreal and at least they were polite and smiled and nodded during the interview).

There are obviously other benefits, but if you're taking a strict Debt-and-Job approach, you are *likely* to get a decent job if you stay given you background. If you are dead set on working at Cravath, S&C, Skadden, or DPW, you should probably transfer. I would wager that there is a good chance you get one of them if you end up at C/N. I also know that 99% of my transfer class got a big law SA.

3. What's your obsession with NYU? You should realize: (a) you have a very good shot at one of Columbia or NYU if you stay in the top 1%, but exactly which one is a guessing game, and (b) NYU admissions office is, IMO, much less organized and professional than Columbia's. I was not accepted at NYU but got into Columbia, and could easily be that way or the other way around for you. Columbia accepted most of the transfer class in late July, whereas NYU kept many hanging on until mid to later august. I actually emailed NYU to withdraw once I got into Columbia, got not response, and then get a rejection letter from them 3 weeks later, after OCI had already begun. Other transfer at my school had problems with their admissions process too, such as having to send transcripts multiple times.

In reality, they are about the same, except that Columbia is stronger for firms whereas NYU is stronger for public interest. You should also understand that Columbia has much broader national and international name recognition. Apply to both no matter what you do.

4. Given your firm exit goals, you might benefit from the alumni network of C/N rather than your current school, especially if you want to go into I-banking, in-house, or lateral. I do think you gain a great deal of stability throughout your career by having a T6 diploma rather than a TT diploma. This is a more substantial factor than the "Can a get a job?" question, because you probably will be able to get one given your rank and school location. You can easily contact the firms in NY that don't interview at your school and get callbacks on your own, so OCI isn't the only option for you.

5. There is really no such thing as transfer stigma except at WLRK and W&C. Don't even bother interviewing with them (unless you want to). In fact, almost every other firm considers kick-ass grades as a transfer to be equal to median, or above median, at your new school. Every interviewer at OCI will ask you about transferring, so if you have a compelling story to tell, that's already 1/3 of the interview in your favor. Transferring gives you something to talk about, and separates you from the sea of other students in the middle of the class.

let me know if you have any more questions.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:19 pm

You should apply, at a minimum, to HLS, CLS, and NYU. If your grades are that strong (and stay that strong in the spring) you have a shot at HLS, and it certainly places well in NYC. If you're already doing that well, the real value of transferring is what name you'll have on your resume in the long term, years or decades from now. Given that, aim high and keep options open. Focusing on just one school, and just NYU at that, would be a mistake.

JD2014

Postby JD2014 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:56 am

I'm in a similar position to the OP, and had a few questions that weren't answered on Arrow's overview post.

1. When do transfer applications typically become available?
2. Are applications transmitted through LSAC? (I assume so).
3. When should applications be submitted? Do people typically wait for second semester grades before applying (excluding binding ED schools)?
4. What are the odds that I could use a transfer acceptance to leverage more money from my T2? (V5 is not my priority; I'd rather get a good ROI out of law school).
5. Is V30 unrealistic at a NY-based T2 with comparable stats to the OP?

Thanks in advance.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:12 pm

JD2014 wrote:I'm in a similar position to the OP, and had a few questions that weren't answered on Arrow's overview post.

1. When do transfer applications typically become available?
Depends on the school, but usually late April/early May. You have to check individual websites or LSAC for the availability dates.

2. Are applications transmitted through LSAC? (I assume so).
You can transmit some of your materials through LSAC (the app form, personal statement), but it's often easier to send LORs directly to the school to avoid LSAC's processing time. Also, you should send your 1L transcript directly to the transfer schools (I don't think LSAC processes 1L grades and even if they do it's not worth the wait). Of course, if a school states a particular preference you should follow their instructions.

3. When should applications be submitted? Do people typically wait for second semester grades before applying (excluding binding ED schools)?
ASAP. Most schools accept in waves and having your app complete before the first wave increases your chances of getting in. You can send the rest of the materials without grades, but your app will not be considered complete without a full transcript. Nonetheless it's a good idea to have everything else in as early as possible while you wait for your grades to come out.

4. What are the odds that I could use a transfer acceptance to leverage more money from my T2? (V5 is not my priority; I'd rather get a good ROI out of law school).
Depends on the school. My school refused to offer any money, but I know many others had success at their schools. The only way to know is to ask (with acceptance in hand).

5. Is V30 unrealistic at a NY-based T2 with comparable stats to the OP?
No. V10 isn't even unrealistic for top 1% T2.

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Transfers”