. Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TB12

New

Post by TB12 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:46 pm

Thanks for all the advice to everyone who posted in here
Last edited by TB12 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helmholtz

Gold

Re: BC 80k debt v. Chicago 150k debt

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:58 pm

If you'd be fine with Boston or the east coast, I would stay put. Maybe I'm wrong, but right now you seem to be a shoe-in for a top Boston firm like Ropes / WilmerHale / Goodwin Proctor. And BC fairs pretty well in NYC too, right? I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be competitive for a V15 there.

If you want academia or to work in biglaw in the midwest / on the west coast, it might be worth it. But otherwise, eh. You're getting good money.

TB12

New

Post by TB12 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:03 pm

Helmholtz wrote:If you'd be fine with Boston or the east coast, I would stay put. Maybe I'm wrong, but right now you seem to be a shoe-in for a top Boston firm like Ropes / WilmerHale / Goodwin Proctor. And BC fairs pretty well in NYC too, right? I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be competitive for a V15 there.

If you want academia or to work in biglaw in the midwest / on the west coast, it might be worth it. But otherwise, eh. You're getting good money.
Just seems like there's a few kids I know of who did very well but have nothing through OCI. Even top 20% seems hit or miss

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:08 pm

TB12 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:If you'd be fine with Boston or the east coast, I would stay put. Maybe I'm wrong, but right now you seem to be a shoe-in for a top Boston firm like Ropes / WilmerHale / Goodwin Proctor. And BC fairs pretty well in NYC too, right? I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be competitive for a V15 there.

Just seems like there's a few kids I know of who did very well but have nothing through OCI. Even top 20% seems hit or miss
How good is a 3.9? At a lot of schools, that would be the top 2 percent of the class. Also, if you transferred from BC to UChi, you can essentially cross Boston off of the places you could get a job.

TB12

New

Post by TB12 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:35 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
TB12 wrote:

How good is a 3.9? At a lot of schools, that would be the top 2 percent of the class. Also, if you transferred from BC to UChi, you can essentially cross Boston off of the places you could get a job.
It's tough to say because they don't rank, but 2% is probably about right. Last year's 5% cutoff was 3.70 at the end of 1L. Cutting off Boston is obviously a tough decision to make as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:39 pm

No need to ED to Chi. You will almost certainly get one of CCN after next semester unless your grades drop significantly, and you'll have a pretty good shot at HLS.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:41 pm

Apply to Harvard if you finish well within the top 5% & want Boston to remain as an option. However, if you fear moving out of the top 5% by year's end, then Chicago ED is your best option, in my opinion.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:18 am

hls or no dice if you want boston.

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:28 am

Check your PMs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:50 am

YourCaptain wrote:hls or no dice if you want boston.
I would say HLS or no dice in general if you're top 2% at BC. Unless you are from the Midwest and want to work out there, transferring out of your current market would generally be a poor decision. You clearly are comfortable in Boston since you did so well; no reason to leave all of your friends/connections.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:23 am

I wouldn't blow your shot at HYS for Chicago ED, especially since you want to stay on the east coast. If you were 100% committed to being in Chicago, it would be a closer call, but even then your class rank is too high and your school is too high in the rankings to justify losing the HYS shot.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”