Top 10% at 70-100 TT

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TTRansfer

Top 10% at 70-100 TT

Postby TTRansfer » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:12 am

Thinking about transferring. My grades put me somewhere between top 6%-10%.

Would it be worth it to throw an app to GULC? Or would I have to be ranked higher to get into GULC EA?

Not really sure if transferring up other than a top 20 or so school would be worth it at this point.
Last edited by TTRansfer on Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

CanadianWolf

Re: Top 10% at 70-100 TT

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:43 am

Whether or not transferring is worth it depends upon, in large part, where you want to live & work after law school. If you maintain or improve your class rank next semester, then you should apply to a few T-14s just to see your options.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:13 am

TTRansfer wrote:Thinking about transferring. My grades put me somewhere between top 6%-10%.

School is regional; job prospects here would be solid, but I am thinking that there may be better opportunities elsewhere.

Would it be worth it to throw an app to GULC? Or would I have to be ranked higher to get into GULC EA?

Not really sure if transferring up other than a top 20 or so school would be worth it at this point.

I'm at a similarly ranked school and I have the same question, though I don't know I'm in the top 10%. I have a 3.48, but no idea how many people are above or below my school's 1L B-curve.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:00 pm

Lawst wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:Thinking about transferring. My grades put me somewhere between top 6%-10%.

School is regional; job prospects here would be solid, but I am thinking that there may be better opportunities elsewhere.

I'm at a similarly ranked school and I have the same question, though I don't know I'm in the top 10%. I have a 3.48, but no idea how many people are above or below my school's 1L B-curve.

I used the calculator on the Law School Students forum. It is a rough estimate, but I'd assume within 5% (it had me at 6.3%, but I think 10% is a bit more realistic). Also, speaking with past students, this may put me in that 6-10% range. I used some past numbers for top 25% from previous years.

If I had a 3.8x, this would have been a much easier situation -- I'd apply EA to Georgetown and probably be good to go. 3.64, though, is a bit lower than that. Still gives me a CHANCE of getting in GULC, but I'm probably looking at the bottom end of the top 20 on down. I think I'm going to throw both GULC and GW some EA applications, since they are both non-binding. I mean, what's the worst that can happen? I lose a couple bucks?

There is just this strange dead zone, I feel, from 3.6-3.8. If you are caught in the middle there it makes it a lot more difficult to transfer.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:05 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Whether or not transferring is worth it depends upon, in large part, where you want to live & work after law school. If you maintain or improve your class rank next semester, then you should apply to a few T-14s just to see your options.

I actually don't care where I work. Everyone is like, "Well, that's stupid!" But I don't. I just want a job. I'd be content working anywhere east of the Mississippi, I guess. Or California. So I'm pretty easy. I just want to make sure I get a good job.

My home, local big market is NYC, but the only realistic transfer there is Fordham. And no offense to them, but screw missing out on the first week of OCI.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:54 pm

Schools that I am looking at:

Chicago (just so I can keep their rejection letter)
Cornell (reach)
GULC (reach)
Vandy (reach)
GW
BU
Notre Dame
BC
William and Mary
Fordham
UNC (though I don't think they take many transfers and would probably be insanely hard to get in without being from NC)
Washington & Lee
Ohio State
Wake Forrest

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:03 am

TTRansfer wrote:
Lawst wrote:

I used the calculator on the Law School Students forum. It is a rough estimate, but I'd assume within 5% (it had me at 6.3%, but I think 10% is a bit more realistic). Also, speaking with past students, this may put me in that 6-10% range. I used some past numbers for top 25% from previous years.

If I had a 3.8x, this would have been a much easier situation -- I'd apply EA to Georgetown and probably be good to go. 3.64, though, is a bit lower than that. Still gives me a CHANCE of getting in GULC, but I'm probably looking at the bottom end of the top 20 on down. I think I'm going to throw both GULC and GW some EA applications, since they are both non-binding. I mean, what's the worst that can happen? I lose a couple bucks?

There is just this strange dead zone, I feel, from 3.6-3.8. If you are caught in the middle there it makes it a lot more difficult to transfer.

Ah, I hadn't even seen that, thanks! I wasn't able to get much out of it. It doesn't help that my school refuses to rank its classes and won't even reveal grade distribution of graduates to NALP. I think I'm at least in the top 15%, hopefully higher - class size is around 250, curve is 3.0, and I have a 3.49.
But now I'm not feeling so strongly about my EA chances at GULC if 3.6 is a dead zone. Sounds like 3.49 = haha, seriously, but no.
The GULC website says you need an A-/B+ average to be competitive, and that's where I fall. I'll give it a shot anyway.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:20 am

I know 1Ls aren't supposed to post in the transfer threads, but I've heard second hand not so good things about transferring to Cornell. Like they won't let you participate in their OCI.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:34 am

cinephile wrote:I know 1Ls aren't supposed to post in the transfer threads, but I've heard second hand not so good things about transferring to Cornell. Like they won't let you participate in their OCI.

IIRC, that was just Fordham. If it's Cornell, too, that'd suck.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:50 am

TTRansfer wrote:
cinephile wrote:I know 1Ls aren't supposed to post in the transfer threads, but I've heard second hand not so good things about transferring to Cornell. Like they won't let you participate in their OCI.

It was Cornell, too.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:00 am

Well, that sucks. Either way, I think Cornell was a reach.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Wholigan wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:

It was Cornell, too.

Fordham & Cornell...glad I went to BU...haha

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:30 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:Fordham & Cornell...glad I went to BU...haha

I was curious about Cornell as well, I'm in the same tier of schools as OP and was thinking of trying for Cornell. So if those that transfer to Cornell are denied OCI, does anyone know how well they fare with finding firm jobs?

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:49 pm

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:15 pm

crossarmant wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:Fordham & Cornell...glad I went to BU...haha

I was curious about Cornell as well, I'm in the same tier of schools as OP and was thinking of trying for Cornell. So if those that transfer to Cornell are denied OCI, does anyone know how well they fare with finding firm jobs?

My sister's year, they let transfers participate in OCI, but it's stopped since (she did OCI before the crash). If Cornell let transfers do OCI, I would probably be there now since I did get in.

I do know someone who's SO transferred to Cornell and he still got sort-of BigLaw, but he had to go back to his first school's market and hustle one -- and he really only transferred to have the Cornell name long term since he had a HYPS undergrad.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:46 am

I could probably hustle a job out where I am with Cornell (even though I am not FROM where I am at). I think it's too prestigious not to work out. But, then again, why bother leaving?

Cornell is probably pointless for me (and a reach).

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:58 am

I think the real question is:

Are GW, BU/BC, or William & Mary worth it for a transfer? As previously mentioned, I really don't care where I end up working in the long run. I think I am probably out at GULC (unless I bring up my grades another .1 or .2 this semester) and the rest of the T14.

TTRansfer

Re: Top 3-5% at 70-100 TT

Postby TTRansfer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:46 pm

Any other opinions? I think I got most of the information I needed. Thanks to anyone who commented!

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:27 am

TTRansfer wrote:I think the real question is:

Are GW, BU/BC, or William & Mary worth it for a transfer? As previously mentioned, I really don't care where I end up working in the long run. I think I am probably out at GULC (unless I bring up my grades another .1 or .2 this semester) and the rest of the T14.

I transferred to BU...feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

sgoingIP

Postby sgoingIP » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:33 pm

As a transfer from a TT to a T20, I know quite a few people from my old school who wish they had transferred to a school in the T20s due to the complete lack of big-medium law jobs for TT grads.

As a 10%, you could very well strike out at OCI at either your TT or a T20 school. But, the opportunities are greater and easier to find as a 3L at the T20 school compared to a TT school. With a T20 you never have to explain where or why you went to school.

If they gave you a full ride at the TT, maybe a different story.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:40 pm

sgoingIP wrote:As a transfer from a TT to a T20, I know quite a few people from my old school who wish they had transferred to a school in the T20s due to the complete lack of big-medium law jobs for TT grads.

As a 10%, you could very well strike out at OCI at either your TT or a T20 school. But, the opportunities are greater and easier to find as a 3L at the T20 school compared to a TT school. With a T20 you never have to explain where or why you went to school.

If they gave you a full ride at the TT, maybe a different story.

You have hit the nail on the head on my views and concerns. I think transferring is the best thing for me job-wise, unless I really luck out at OCI and get one of the few nice SA jobs where I am at. Even then, 2L SA and beyond are not guaranteed at all.

And I agree on the full ride part. I will be, at the minimum, looking to transfer if only to negotiate a scholarship.

Return to “Transfers”