I'm back. With grades this time.

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nonprofit-prophet

Re: I'm back. With grades this time.

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:21 pm

Curiosity Bevo wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Curiosity, I'm pretty sure you're in my section.

There is a 25% chance that that is the case.

Clever. Now, I'm pretty sure you're in my small group.

Edit: I wasn't trying to be a dick or anything, was just curious. Hope everything works out for ya.

Curiosity Bevo

Postby Curiosity Bevo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:24 pm

MrKappus wrote:OP: the goods news is if you can bring up the grades a little closer to top third or quarter, your diversity boost might give you a shot at PNW anyway.

As fellow Texan George W. Bush would say, people misunderestimate the University of Texas all the time. Even median (or slightly below) can still give me a shot in the PNW, considering my commitment to the region and sincere desire to stay. There is this myth that you have to be top 20% to get out of Texas. Plainly stated, that is false. 35% of UT's graduates take jobs out of Texas. As a state school, they can only accept 35% of their students from out of state. Thus, the fact that 65% of their students stay in Texas dovetails neatly with the fact that 65% of their students are from Texas.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:29 pm

Curiosity Bevo wrote:
MrKappus wrote:OP: the goods news is if you can bring up the grades a little closer to top third or quarter, your diversity boost might give you a shot at PNW anyway.

As fellow Texan George W. Bush would say, people misunderestimate the University of Texas all the time. Even median (or slightly below) can still give me a shot in the PNW, considering my commitment to the region and sincere desire to stay. There is this myth that you have to be top 20% to get out of Texas. Plainly stated, that is false. 35% of UT's graduates take jobs out of Texas. As a state school, they can only accept 35% of their students from out of state. Thus, the fact that 65% of their students stay in Texas dovetails neatly with the fact that 65% of their students are from Texas.

You're being a bit too optimistic (if you're talking about biglaw), especially regarding PNW--which has a reputation of being difficult to crack since there just aren't too many biglaw spots open.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:34 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
You're being a bit too optimistic (if you're talking about biglaw), especially regarding PNW--which has a reputation of being difficult to crack since there just aren't too many biglaw spots open.

You have to take into consideration that OP thinks that it is worth the time, money, and potentially burned bridges to send transfer applications to Berkeley/Stanford as a below-median student at UT. Realistic thinking is clearly not OP's strong suit.

Curiosity Bevo

Postby Curiosity Bevo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:44 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

You have to take into consideration that OP thinks that it is worth the time, money, and potentially burned bridges to send transfer applications to Berkeley/Stanford as a below-median student at UT. Realistic thinking is clearly not OP's strong suit.

OK, before I get into the forum mood and just start blindly attacking, if I thought it was worth risking all of what you just listed, I wouldn't even ask. I'm just weighing my options. I'm trying to keep the thread civil. Please join me.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Curiosity Bevo wrote:

source?

Curiosity Bevo

Postby Curiosity Bevo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:52 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
Curiosity Bevo wrote:

source?

I'd say that my source is that I've talked extensively with both the Dean and Director of Admisions but that doesn't mean dick on the internet. So here's the fact sheet (LinkRemoved). Look under diversity: nonresident maximum.

ETA: our avatars would have beautiful children.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:00 pm

ETA: our avatars would have beautiful children.

Well, thats interesting.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:16 pm

Curiosity Bevo wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Is this for real? Below median looking to transfer to Stanford?

First of all, I'm not denying the point you're making. But below median summons the concept of bottom 25%. Something like that. .06 of a GPA is not bottom 25%. With that small of a differentiation, don't you think saying at median is more definitive.

I'm not laughing at you for your class rank. I'm laughing at you because you think you have a shot at transferring up (and not just up, but WAY up) with mediocre grades. FWIW, I'd probably say the same thing to someone with top quarter or even third grades. It'd be like me asking how I should tailor my Wachtell letter. It's just not a question you ask on TLS if you don't want to get some lulz.

I don't know a ton about the PNW legal market, but I agree with Kappus. If you get your grades up a bit, I think you may have a shot at a decent job in the PNW with above median grades (and maybe even now). You have the diversity factor going in your favor, above median at Texas isn't bad at all, and you sound like you have ties. True "biglaw" may be out of the picture since the market is small, but you'll at least have a shot at a job there that doesn't suck.

Curiosity Bevo

Postby Curiosity Bevo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:29 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Curiosity Bevo wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Is this for real? Below median looking to transfer to Stanford?

First of all, I'm not denying the point you're making. But below median summons the concept of bottom 25%. Something like that. .06 of a GPA is not bottom 25%. With that small of a differentiation, don't you think saying at median is more definitive.

I'm not laughing at you for your class rank. I'm laughing at you because you think you have a shot at transferring up (and not just up, but WAY up) with mediocre grades. FWIW, I'd probably say the same thing to someone with top quarter or even third grades. It'd be like me asking how I should tailor my Wachtell letter. It's just not a question you ask on TLS if you don't want to get some lulz.

I don't know a ton about the PNW legal market, but I agree with Kappus. If you get your grades up a bit, I think you may have a shot at a decent job in the PNW with above median grades (and maybe even now). You have the diversity factor going in your favor, above median at Texas isn't bad at all, and you sound like you have ties. True "biglaw" may be out of the picture since the market is small, but you'll at least have a shot at a job there that doesn't suck.

I can take some tough advice from you Romo. I don't mind lulz, I just don't like the people who cross the line and turn vitriolic and nasty.

The truth is, even if I could transfer, I probably wouldn't. And for the exact reasons I chose to go here over more highly ranked schools to begin with. If I go and work in Houston for 3-4 years, I'm sitting on top of three swelling waves - University of Texas, Texas and energy.

Texas is turning purple and energy is turning green. This is a great spot to be in.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:35 pm

Curiosity Bevo wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Curiosity Bevo wrote:

I can take some tough advice from you Romo. I don't mind lulz, I just don't like the people who cross the line and turn vitriolic and nasty.

The truth is, even if I could transfer, I probably wouldn't. And exactly for the reasons I chose to go here over more highly ranked schools to begin with. If I go and work in Houston for 3-4 years, I'm sitting on top of three swelling waves - University of Texas, Texas and energy.

Texas is turning purple and energy is turning green. This is a great spot to be in.

Job wise, being black and slightly below median at UT should be pretty decent. Good luck.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:43 pm

johansantana21 wrote:Job wise, being black and slightly below median at UT should be pretty decent. Good luck.

And he's only got one semester's worth of grades. Above median URM at UT is going to be competitive for jerbs

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:33 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
Curiosity Bevo wrote:

Also, yeah, I was looking at it. It's more shocking that you're surprised I would want to go to Stanford. And Stanford is obviously a reach. But I've heard that sometimes if you are at median in the T14/5 it's a crap shoot to move up 5 or so places, which is where Cal came into the conversation.

No wonder you got below median with this kind of thinking. Surprised you didn't end up bottom 5%.

And you have no shot. Don't waste your time or your professors time by trying to transfer without significantly improving your below median grades.

yeah this was an unnecessarily dick comment from johan. OP is obviously just misinformed about the transfer process, and lots of people are (although most of them don't pop up on TLS).

otherwise what johan and others have said is true - it DOES hurt to try (for the reasons everyone has stated). you aren't in an absolutely terrible spot right now, so just get back to the grind and see if you can't get your grades up a bit. good luck.

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:09 pm

Apply to higher ranked schools if you really want to transfer. All they can say is no. Median at UT means you can compete and you will graduate. It also means they get to bump their diversity numbers without offering you money. I really don't know what the stats are, but a reasonable person would argue that you have mitigated the risk to the school and are a better candidate now than you were a year ago.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:28 pm

Diversity isn't a factor in transfers...not one that would give a boost to any transfer decision.

You could transfer down to get to that region...but "don't waste your time, kid" on anything above UT.

Return to “Transfers”