Top 1% after first semester part-time, any advice?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Top 1% after first semester part-time, any advice?

Postby rogermurdoch » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:01 pm

Last edited by rogermurdoch on Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Top 1% after first semester part-time, any advice?

Postby EliHBCU » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:17 pm

I don't know much about transferring as a part time student to a T14 school. If you are positive you want to transfer then I think your intuition to not take summer classes is the correct choice. You don't want to waste your time and money on credit hours which won't transfer to your new school.

#1: You said you have a full time job. I assume that it's non-legal or else you wouldn't be asking if you should get a research position. If I were you, I wouldn't. Work your regular job, intern if you have spare time, but if you don't really have extra time I wouldn't try to cram in a research position.

#2: Depends. Like you said, you don't know what your grade or rankings will be at the end of your full #1L year. After that you'll have a better idea of where you can get into. (Below I included a link to an article about transferring law schools and what a student should consider. The author transferred from Brooklyn Law to Harvard Law and it may be worth the read even though it doesn't specifically discuss part time students.)

Return to “Transfers”