When should I start working on applications?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
to_transfer_or_not

When should I start working on applications?

Postby to_transfer_or_not » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:25 pm

Considering transfer apps for HY (and maybe S). Not sure what the timeline is like for applications (particularly recommendations). Do professors generally limit the number of students that they are willing to write recommendations for? Does it make a difference if one of your recommenders is a big name professor?

crazyblink653

Re: When should I start working on applications?

Postby crazyblink653 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:32 pm

to_transfer_or_not wrote:Do professors generally limit the number of students that they are willing to write recommendations for?

Maybe a few, but most probably don't. keep in mind that most students aren't in a position to transfer and many that are choose not to, so the number itself usually isn't that high to begin with.

to_transfer_or_not wrote:Does it make a difference if one of your recommenders is a big name professor?

Probably not for transfer purposes. would prob make a bigger difference for clerkship purposes later down the line, though.

right now i would focus mainly on maintaining your performance. if you have a professor you want to ask for a rec from this past semester, might as well ask them now so that they write it while you're fresh in their mind. as for the rest, don't worry too much about it until after finals for this semester.

Return to “Transfers”