DePaul Top 5% ---> NU, UChi, Mich, T14

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Rurik

Re: DePaul Top 5% ---> NU, UChi, Mich, T14

Postby Rurik » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:36 pm

Anecdotally, from a friend who transferred, people who transferred to Northwestern did not end up doing that well in terms of OCI jobs.

Not sure how it went for people at U of Chicago.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:39 pm

Rurik wrote:Anecdotally, from a friend who transferred, people who transferred to Northwestern did not end up doing that well in terms of OCI jobs.

Everyone who wanted biglaw got it and 40% of the transfer class at UChicago had at least one V5 offer. But apparently we would have all gotten those from our 1L schools.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:44 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
Rurik wrote:Anecdotally, from a friend who transferred, people who transferred to Northwestern did not end up doing that well in terms of OCI jobs.

Everyone who wanted biglaw got it and 40% of the transfer class at UChicago had at least one V5 offer. But apparently we would have all gotten those from our 1L schools.

Don't you guys have at least 2 NU transfers and 1 Michigan transfer? Those guys were definitely getting V5 from their 1L schools. Where are you getting this 40% number?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:50 pm

Okay, I'll bite on this. There were here that got some insane offers that they definitely wouldn't get from their 1L schools -- and there were also people that probably would have done the same. I mean, when you have people from New York schools and DC schools getting SF offers and people from Michigan schools getting Boston/NYC offers.... (and most of these people went to schools that TLS would have told them "DO NOT GO HERE EVER IT IS A FESTERING TTT", so it's not like I'm talking about transfers from T25 schools).

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:51 pm

IAFG wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:

Don't you guys have at least 2 NU transfers and 1 Michigan transfer? Those guys were definitely getting V5 from their 1L schools. Where are you getting this 40% number?

One from each of those schools. Only one of those had a V5 offer. I am getting the 40% number from counting the number of people who had at least one V5 offer and dividing it by the total number of transfers.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:54 pm

keg411 wrote:Okay, I'll bite on this. There were here that got some insane offers that they definitely wouldn't get from their 1L schools -- and there were also people that probably would have done the same. I mean, when you have people from New York schools and DC schools getting SF offers and people from Michigan schools getting Boston/NYC offers.... (and most of these people went to schools that TLS would have told them "DO NOT GO HERE EVER IT IS A FESTERING TTT", so it's not like I'm talking about transfers from T25 schools).

I think it's definitely true that transferring is going to get you national reach that your old school isn't, so to that end I probably over-reached. The OP was talking about a cross-town transfer targeting the same market, which is a different call.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:58 pm

IAFG wrote:
keg411 wrote:Okay, I'll bite on this. There were here that got some insane offers that they definitely wouldn't get from their 1L schools -- and there were also people that probably would have done the same. I mean, when you have people from New York schools and DC schools getting SF offers and people from Michigan schools getting Boston/NYC offers.... (and most of these people went to schools that TLS would have told them "DO NOT GO HERE EVER IT IS A FESTERING TTT", so it's not like I'm talking about transfers from T25 schools).

I think it's definitely true that transferring is going to get you national reach that your old school isn't, so to that end I probably over-reached. The OP was talking about a cross-town transfer targeting the same market, which is a different call.

Oh, I agree about that. We have a few transfers here that focused on their 1L school's market, but I'd say most of the transfers here used the national reach.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:02 am

IAFG is clearly a transferring expert. I will defer.

NotoriousIIED

Postby NotoriousIIED » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:33 am

I would transfer. DePaul doesn't seem to be doing so hot right now in terms of Chicago BIGLAW placement even for the very top of the class. Sidley, Kirkland, Mayer, Winston will each take a couple people from Loyola/Kent but I don't think they are taking anyone from DePaul these days, certainly not like they used to. Jenner seems even tougher for whatever reason.

I have no idea why this is the case because I think DePaul is a really good school and it has tons of grads in Chicago. However, I would leave a full ride at DePaul for UChicago, NU or Michigan without even a moment's hesitation.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:31 am

i admit students may get CBs/offers from firms they otherwise would not have if they stayed, but that is not a result of the prestige of the school they are at now. it is just a matter of access. by transferring to a school with a more robust OCI and lottery, you are going to get 14-17 screeners right off the bat. if you stayed put at a school out of the market, then you probably wouldn't have ANY of those firms at your school doing OCI and you would have to mass mail to get them. good chance you aren't going to receive the same number of screeners because by the nature of the lottery the firms HAVE to interview you, they dont have a choice unlike when you mass mail. so, you get the interview at OCI that you may not have got if you stayed and now you have a shot to wow them. knock it out of the park and you will likely get a CB, and hopefully an offer.

this is why i said in another thread that transferring can be more beneficial for people who interview well (and also for people who have WE). this is, of course, an idea that concerns the decision to transfer at all, not whether to transfer to UChi over NU. i stand by what i said earlier that you are going to be put in front of basically the same firms and they are going to evaluate you similarly.

random note: i think transfers do worse at NU because they are immediately being compared to so many students with work experience, which is becoming even more valued by firms. i underestimated this argument, but i think there was some truth to it, even though it doesn't make much sense for similar reasons as the above.

wiscohopeful

Postby wiscohopeful » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:01 pm

I didn't read the other posts so if I repeat info sorry. I transferred from DePaul to NU and I'd be willing to share my experience with you if you pm me.

If not, here are some general experiences...

1) If you have a big scholly and want to stay in Chicago, negotiate more money and sit tight. The market hasn't recovered yet but firms should consider you in the Chicago market as you likely are sitting at top 1-3% in the class. I don't really see the benefit of taking on that massive debt unless you want a better name on your resume. However, if you want to work outside of Chicago I would consider transferring as DePaul don't mean shit outside of the city. That being said, some places won't look at you because of the school you're at. From what I recall Depaul's OCI is kinda a joke but that may change now that some time has passed since 2008. Transferring may not be worth it because to some extent the interviewers look to your previous school to gauge you and that is something you can't really undo. You do have a great GPA though so maybe that cuts against it.

2) You are a lock for law review at depaul unless they changed the policy of grading on the top 10%. At NU, there is a write on for all the transfers (and AJDs) and i believe they took like 5 people on LR from my transfer class. It's by no means guaranteed.

3) What type of law do you want to practice? NU has a great deal more clinics and course offerings that are geared towards transactional law that DePaul does not have.

4) From my experience, only one student from depaul was accepted to NU in my year (2 years ago)...well actually 2, another guy was a 2L who gave up his entire second year of credits to transfer in but he transferred into the JD/MBA so I'm not counting him. That same year noone was accepted to UChi (and from what I hear depaul hasn't transferred someone there in like 10 years...and have only sent like 5 total). Umichigan i think takes the most from depaul because of the large transfer class size there. I personally know two people who did it and I believe its an annual thing sending students there.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:40 pm

wiscohopeful wrote:Umichigan i think takes the most from depaul because of the large transfer class size there. I personally know two people who did it and I believe its an annual thing sending students there.

I'm pretty sure we actually don't have anyone from DePaul this year (maybe two years ago there were a couple). I know we have a couple from Loyola.

wiscohopeful

Postby wiscohopeful » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:14 am

keg411 wrote:
wiscohopeful wrote:Umichigan i think takes the most from depaul because of the large transfer class size there. I personally know two people who did it and I believe its an annual thing sending students there.

I'm pretty sure we actually don't have anyone from DePaul this year (maybe two years ago there were a couple). I know we have a couple from Loyola.

I know one who is a 3L now and a high school friend of mine (also went DePaul for 1L) is there now as a 2L...obviously not gonna say their names but i know for a fact they are there.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:46 am

wiscohopeful wrote:
keg411 wrote:

I know one who is a 3L now and a high school friend of mine (also went DePaul for 1L) is there now as a 2L...obviously not gonna say their names but i know for a fact they are there.

Hm, went through the whole transfer directory and couldn't figure it out. Pretty much know where everyone did 1L except for 2-3 people (who I don't even know), so I'm guessing it's one of them.

Return to “Transfers”