3.61 GPA at Rutgers Camden Law School

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
udonisandtrinity

3.61 GPA at Rutgers Camden Law School

Postby udonisandtrinity » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:46 pm

I'm really irked about one class where I received a B (Torts).
Last edited by udonisandtrinity on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wholigan

Re: 3.61 GPA at Rutgers Camden Law School

Postby Wholigan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:23 pm

That will put you outside of the top 5%, which is usually around 3.75-3.80. If you are looking to transfer, you probably won't have finality until you get next semester's grades, apply, and hear back. Transferring is unpredictable.

If you keep the same GPA, I would say you have a chance of getting in somewhere in the T25, but outside of the T14, if you apply broadly. Aside from that, you should have a very good chance at schools in the lower part of T1. If your torts grade was an outlier and you bring your full year GPA over 3.7, you may have a chance at lower T14 schools, especially GULC.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:59 pm

Wholigan wrote:That will put you outside of the top 5%, which is usually around 3.75-3.80. If you are looking to transfer, you probably won't have finality until you get next semester's grades, apply, and hear back. Transferring is unpredictable.

If you keep the same GPA, I would say you have a chance of getting in somewhere in the T25, but outside of the T14, if you apply broadly. Aside from that, you should have a very good chance at schools in the lower part of T1. If your torts grade was an outlier and you bring your full year GPA over 3.7, you may have a chance at lower T14 schools, especially GULC.

Yeah, people in the 3.6 range got into T25 schools; however you need to be pretty close to a 3.8 to break the T14/T10 (I had a 3.79 and I'm pretty sure I had the lowest GPA of anyone who transferred to a T14 and the Penn kids all had over 3.9's). No one from last year broke the T6.

Is there any reason why you don't want to just stay at Rutgers and live in NJ/Philadelphia? I personally miss the area a lot and think it's a cool place. (But I'm also from NJ, albeit the North half)

udonisandtrinity

Postby udonisandtrinity » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:23 am

Thanks. That just makes me more upset about my Torts exam. I feel as if the prof blatantly erred in grading my exam.
Last edited by udonisandtrinity on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

udonisandtrinity

Postby udonisandtrinity » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:29 am

I personally don't mind staying here as well.
Last edited by udonisandtrinity on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:52 am

If you're that concerned about your Torts exam, review it with your professor and figure out what went wrong. Don't whine.

Second, yes I transferred and I'm at Michigan now. But keep in mind, I had over a 3.8 first semester last year. I believe there was/is a guy on here who had a 3.6/3.5 after first semester who ended up at Penn, but he got like 2-3 A+'s in the Spring semester.

You are going to have to talk to T25 transfers to figure out if you would have a better shot at a firm job, but the conventional wisdom is "probably not".

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:57 am

OP, you probably shouldn't transfer to anything outside of GTown/Texas on up. None of the schools in the T20-30 range would make it worth it to give up what you have at Rutgers. Schools between Gtown/Texas and and WashU could possibly be worth it, but then they possibly may not be worth it.
Last edited by Aberzombie1892 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:14 am

udonisandtrinity wrote:Thanks. That just makes me more upset about my Torts exam. I feel as if the prof blatantly erred in grading my exam.

Wholigan - that's exactly what I will be stressing over. My wife's job application process will take 4-6 weeks. We need to move in together. Etc. That's why I was contemplating an EA at GULC so that I can avoid the unpredictability and start making plans.

Keg411 - Did you also transfer from Rutgers Camden? Which school were you able to transfer to?

Thanks again for the responses :)

You can try EA at GULC but I don't think you have much of a chance there. I was semi-closely following that thread last cycle, and although I'm not going to read through it again, I don't recall anyone along the lines of 10%-ish at a T2 getting in. Maybe you should take a look at the thread. I also agree with what the others said; that a T20-30 transfer is probably not "worth it", so you will have to figure out if the value added to your wife's career will outweigh the additional debt you would take on by transferring in the event you aren't able to get a firm job.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:30 am

keg411 wrote:
Wholigan wrote:That will put you outside of the top 5%, which is usually around 3.75-3.80. If you are looking to transfer, you probably won't have finality until you get next semester's grades, apply, and hear back. Transferring is unpredictable.

Yeah, people in the 3.6 range got into T25 schools; however you need to be pretty close to a 3.8 to break the T14/T10 (I had a 3.79 and I'm pretty sure I had the lowest GPA of anyone who transferred to a T14 and the Penn kids all had over 3.9's). No one from last year broke the T6.

Is there any reason why you don't want to just stay at Rutgers and live in NJ/Philadelphia? I personally miss the area a lot and think it's a cool place. (But I'm also from NJ, albeit the North half)

Were there any transfers to dnc or GULC?

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:32 am

drmguy wrote:
keg411 wrote:

Yes.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:06 am

Wholigan wrote:
drmguy wrote:
keg411 wrote:

Yes.

And all of them had 3.8+?

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:51 pm

drmguy wrote:
Wholigan wrote:
drmguy wrote:

Yes.

And all of them had 3.8+?

I don't know everyone's GPA. Maybe keg will tell you if she knows. But judging from the number of T14 acceptances 3.8+ seemed to garner, I would take an educated guess that 3.7 would make at least GULC take a good look at you.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:13 pm

Wholigan, I don't know who went to DNCG (and as far as I knew until now no one did), so PM me and I can probably answer the question better (since I have a pretty good idea of who all of the people at the very top of the class are/were). However, without knowing, I'd guess above a 3.7 might yield GULC -- though I still question whether a GULC transfer is worth it and I spoke to them pretty extensively last year when I was considering it.

The only places I know people transferred to were Penn, Mich (me), WUSTL, BC, Hastings and San Diego.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:12 pm

My GPA is even lower, around 3.5, and I'm in a similarly ranked school. I guess I have no realistic shot at GULC. Maybe Fordham, assuming my grades for spring are the same or better?
I really do not like my current school or its location. I need out.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:30 pm

Same boat and was wondering about BC/BU, maybe ND? Are those feasible in that range?

quiver

Postby quiver » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:03 pm

Lawst wrote:aybe Fordham, assuming my grades for spring are the same or better?
IIRC Fordham doesn't let transfers participate in OCI. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. That's a huge negative though.

ellebee

Postby ellebee » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:21 pm

OP, where do you wanna go?

I think a 3.6 will get you into at least a T1. If you have ties to a certain location then it's worth it. Otherwise like Keg said, if you're doing well just stay.

All California kids eventually transferred back to California.

As a piece of advice, I don't think you'll have ANY finality until your second semester grades come out (barring an EA application). Don't plan anything just yet. People tend to do better and are more competitive in the second year. Considering the whole Rowan/Camden issue, maybe you should transfer...

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:44 pm

ellebee wrote:Considering the whole Rowan/Camden issue, maybe you should transfer...

I was going to say... this changes the equation a lot. A minute before the news came out, I was still questioning whether it was smart to leave. I was pretty set on eventually giving money to the law school too (when I actually have some :lol:), so this whole thing sucks.

Also ellebee, apparently they give actual ranking cut-offs now. This year a 3.7 is top 5% and a 3.6 is top 10%. I think a 3.6 gets OP into a BU/BC/WUSTL type school (with a "maybe" on UCLA/Vandy).

secretaryoftaste

Postby secretaryoftaste » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:06 pm

Is this "3.7 is top 5% and 3.6 is top 10%" published anywhere? Is this for the first semester? I'm just super curious as I just got my grades back recently and would like to know where I stand with a 3.5 :?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:10 pm

secretaryoftaste wrote:Is this "3.7 is top 5% and 3.6 is top 10%" published anywhere? Is this for the first semester? I'm just super curious as I just got my grades back recently and would like to know where I stand with a 3.5 :?

I dunno, a couple of posters told me they were published. I'm not at the school anymore, so I wouldn't know, but you can try PM-ing a couple of the other RU-C 1L's that are around on the threads. You can probably figure out who they are.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:33 pm

keg411 wrote:
secretaryoftaste wrote:Is this "3.7 is top 5% and 3.6 is top 10%" published anywhere? Is this for the first semester? I'm just super curious as I just got my grades back recently and would like to know where I stand with a 3.5 :?

I dunno, a couple of posters told me they were published. I'm not at the school anymore, so I wouldn't know, but you can try PM-ing a couple of the other RU-C 1L's that are around on the threads. You can probably figure out who they are.

There's nothing explicitly published that I am aware of. If you look at the construct of the curve, it's a 3.05 median curve and 60% of each course (And maybe the 1L class) must fall within the B range. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking 20% would fall around 3.3, 80% would be a 2.7. I could be wildly guessing.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:42 pm

crossarmant wrote:
keg411 wrote:

There's nothing explicitly published that I am aware of. If you look at the construct of the curve, it's a 3.05 median curve and 60% of each course (And maybe the 1L class) must fall within the B range. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking 20% would fall around 3.3, 80% would be a 2.7. I could be wildly guessing.

Hm, that's interesting since two other posters told me that they were published AND that the A+ was gone. Maybe they were confused with the class distributions? Or maybe they were trolling me :lol:. Because the curve last year was pretty close to the new distribution and we had a top 10% at 3.7 and a top 5% around 3.76-3.8 or so.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:53 pm

keg411 wrote:Hm, that's interesting since two other posters told me that they were published AND that the A+ was gone. Maybe they were confused with the class distributions? Or maybe they were trolling me :lol:. Because the curve last year was pretty close to the new distribution and we had a top 10% at 3.7 and a top 5% around 3.76-3.8 or so.

Well, I know that the A+ is still there. There were a few classes I heard of that no one got an A and an A- was the highest grade, so that may have influenced things. But I've seen no publication of where a cut off is... maybe I haven't been looking.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:01 am

crossarmant wrote:
keg411 wrote:Hm, that's interesting since two other posters told me that they were published AND that the A+ was gone. Maybe they were confused with the class distributions? Or maybe they were trolling me :lol:. Because the curve last year was pretty close to the new distribution and we had a top 10% at 3.7 and a top 5% around 3.76-3.8 or so.

Well, I know that the A+ is still there. There were a few classes I heard of that no one got an A and an A- was the highest grade, so that may have influenced things. But I've seen no publication of where a cut off is... maybe I haven't been looking.

That's certainly an interesting development. Guess there are some liars out there... maybe they have no A+ and published percentiles at Rowan School of Law :lol:.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:50 am

keg411 wrote:That's certainly an interesting development. Guess there are some liars out there... maybe they have no A+ and published percentiles at Rowan School of Law :lol:.

That does really worry me. And it gives me more motivation to try and transfer (Besides not being from around here, being far from family/fiancee, not particularly caring for the area, and possibly better job opportunities). I'm really not sure how that will affect this place, but I fear that it could only be for the worst.

Return to “Transfers”