Chances at NYU/Columbia/Berkeley Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Chances of Admission to one of Columbia/NYU/Berkeley?

Guaranteed with good PS and letters.
8%
Very Good (75%)
36%
Average (50%)
32%
Not Great (25% or less)
24%

Total votes: 25

boblasidy

New

Chances at NYU/Columbia/Berkeley

Post by boblasidy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:22 pm

Long time reader--first time poster. I know there have been a few similar articles but thought Id see what people thought:

Im currently between top 1/3 and 1/4 at one of MV (3.65 gap)

My wife and I thought we could move back to a college town after 5 years in New York but we would really like to get out of here. It seems that Berkeley, COlumbia, and NYC take a high number of transfer students--what do you think the chances of a successful transfer are for someone with numbers like mine if they stay about the same (hopefully they go up slightly)?????

P.S. My work experience should be a strong factor.

lawschoolgrapedme

Bronze

Re: Chances at NYU/Columbia/Berkeley

Post by lawschoolgrapedme » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:47 pm

Most transfers to CCN from MVP are at the top 25%. If they go higher than that, they typically move to HYS. So for CCN, if you stay the same you have a shot. Go up and you are a lock. Also, unlike in regular admissions, your work experience will have little impact - it is a straight school/rank decision in transfers.

boblasidy

New

Post by boblasidy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:28 pm

I thought work experience was a considerable factor--if borderline. Doesn't a school want someone with great resume work experience for their OCI as compared to young kid straight from undergrad?

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:07 pm

boblasidy wrote:I thought work experience was a considerable factor--if borderline. Doesn't a school want someone with great resume work experience for their OCI as compared to young kid straight from undergrad?
Yes, and unlike the poster above I think it is actually more important for transfers than 0L admission. Schools want to make sure the transfer class boosts their employment numbers, and those with meaningful work experience tend to fare better at OCI. That said, it's still 90% numbers and not all work experience will help you (waiting tables at Chili's =/= consulting or i-banking experience).

boblasidy

New

Post by boblasidy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:15 pm

Bump to see how much my chances go up to Columbia/NYU since I now have a 1L position at a V10 firm in New York--isnt big thing they are worried about employment stats?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:17 pm

boblasidy wrote:Bump to see how much my chances go up to Columbia/NYU since I now have a 1L position at a V10 firm in New York--isnt big thing they are worried about employment stats?
I think they meant past employment. Then again, having a 1L SA makes you more employable in the future, and schools love to boost their employment numbers.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:50 pm

boblasidy wrote:Bump to see how much my chances go up to Columbia/NYU since I now have a 1L position at a V10 firm in New York--isnt big thing they are worried about employment stats?
It doesn't really make a difference, but congrats on the 1L SA anyway.

What would make it easiest for you is if your SO could line up a job in NYC so that you have a real reason to be in NYC full time. I think someone on here was able to transfer to Chicago from around top quarter at M last year due to a spouse situation, so I'm guessing CLS/NYU should be even easier.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”