Transfer with a 3.86 from W&M/W&L/Minn.-type school

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
snuffy smith

Transfer with a 3.86 from W&M/W&L/Minn.-type school

Postby snuffy smith » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:22 pm

Not even sure I'm going to pull the trigger. Just curious, really, after finishing first semester with a 3.86 (A+/A/B+; the A+ is weighted) from a t30. No class rank but historically 3.6 is 10%.

Odds on EA to Gtown? For other schools (spec., UVA, NYU...) what grades do I need in spring semester, y'think? Checked out the yahoo group but not a little info for this type of ranked school...thanks.

AugustaMasters

Re: Transfer with a 3.86 from W&M/W&L/Minn.-type school

Postby AugustaMasters » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:49 pm

So you are most likely in the top 5% of your class, congrats. From a t30 I would say you have a good chance at securing Georgetown EA. With early admissions, being ranked mid semester seems to be a boost. However, if you are at a school that is in the area and sends a lot of transfers to Georgetown, then they may have a better idea of where you place in the class.

If you repeat next semester (or improve), CCN will be in reach. The consensus on TLS is that UVA is difficult to get into as a transfer unless you are a resident, although last year a few people got in who were not residents (try a search). If you are a Virginia resident, then that would be considered a boost and you would have a good chance at getting in.

I will tell you from last year (I am currently a CCN transfer) that applying Georgetown EA was a big help when applying to transfer during the regular admissions process because I already had my letters of rec etc.

Also even if you dropped next semester, you would still have a good shot at t10 schools. I am guessing you could even drop a little and still be top 5%.

Good luck and congrats again.

quiver

Postby quiver » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:30 pm

AugustaMasters wrote:I will tell you from last year (I am currently a CCN transfer) that applying Georgetown EA was a big help when applying to transfer during the regular admissions process because I already had my letters of rec etc.
I agree with all the above but I wanted to highlight this part. Not only does it force you to get everything together early, but an acceptance (which is a very high probability for you) does a lot to ease your mind going into RD. Kinda sucks when you have to decide whether to deposit or not, but just being accepted somewhere is nice.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:38 pm

pull the trigger and go to ccn

cojsterling

Postby cojsterling » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:59 am

I am 95% sure I go to the same school at the OP, but I am more in the top 20% range. Any chance on Georgetown or UVA in-state?

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:02 am

cojsterling wrote:I am 95% sure I go to the same school at the OP, but I am more in the top 20% range. Any chance on Georgetown or UVA in-state?

i think you'd probably need to boost a tiny bit next semester.

cojsterling

Postby cojsterling » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:09 am

Alright that's kind of what I figured, thanks for the advice.

MVPson

Postby MVPson » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:11 am

not sure why you would want to go to gulc. it's a festering TTT. i imagine you could transfer to far better schools with grades like those.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:05 pm

MVPson wrote:not sure why you would want to go to gulc. it's a festering TTT. i imagine you could transfer to far better schools with grades like those.

Agreed, but as said above applying to GULC is helpful because (1) forces you to get your LORs/other shit together early and (2) gives you a feeling of insurance in case your grades fall off a cliff.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:13 pm

If you can transfer from any of those schools to CCN, do it (unless you would be giving up a crazy amount of scholarship $$). I'm a CCN transfer, and transfers as a whole did incredibly well at OCI. I am friends with about 8 or 9 of the transfers at my school, and every one has V25 or higher firm lined up. The chances of success as a transfer to CCN are very high.

snuffy smith

Postby snuffy smith » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:49 pm

cool, thanks augusta, quiver, et al. i'm going to get the ball rolling...not looking forward to the LOR conversations with my profs., but whatevs, u gotta look out for #1 i guess

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:57 pm

With a 3.7 at a similar school, I think I'm between top 5-10%. Any thoughts on 1) whether that could be enough to transfer to C or C? 2) Whether it would even be worth it, when there is a decent chance that I could end up making $160k (if I can maintain), without transferring?

Return to “Transfers”