Maximum Number of Transferable Credits

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jessuf

Maximum Number of Transferable Credits

Postby jessuf » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:31 pm

What EXACTLY does maximum number of transferable credits mean? Some schools say, "A maximum of 30 units can be transferred. Upon admission, you will receive a letter indicating which classes will be accepted for transfer."

Does this mean that if I happen to take a class my 1L year that puts me over the maximum number of transferable credits, I will be barred from transferring OR does it mean that simply the summer class credit won't transfer over to the new school when I matriculate?

Edit: I see for one of the schools it flat out states I cannot apply if I've taken more than two semesters of classes so I removed their quoted policy. However, some of the other schools' policies aren't as strictly worded, as quoted above. I know I can call and ask tomorrow - just wondering if anyone had any experience?

concurrent fork

Re: Maximum Number of Transferable Credits

Postby concurrent fork » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Jessuf wrote:Does this mean that if I happen to take a class my 1L year that puts me over the maximum number of transferable credits, I will be barred from transferring OR does it mean that simply the summer class credit won't transfer over to the new school when I matriculate?

The latter.

crazyblink653

Postby crazyblink653 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:51 pm

it usually means the second scenario. however, i was in a similar position and my transfer school allowed me to transfer in all 34 of my credits earned at my first LS, as opposed to only 30 of them. keep in mind, though, not all schools may be as lenient.

wiscohopeful

Postby wiscohopeful » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:16 am

I was given an explanation that the ABA only permits a student to bring in the equivalent of 1/3 of the credits required to graduate from the second school. So if the school requires 84, you can only bring in 28 credits from your 1L year, regardless of how many you earned.

Return to “Transfers”