What Are My Options? Top 5% in Upper T2

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
At the Drive-In

What Are My Options? Top 5% in Upper T2

Postby At the Drive-In » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:59 pm

By some act of Tim Tebow, I finished with good grades after my 1st semester. I attend a strong regional T2 in the 50-65 ranking range. I don't have particularly strong ties to this region, nor do I have any convincing reason to stay, but I am not against to staying in either.

I am pretty geographically open and I don't really have any particular career goals in mind. I may want to do academia one day, but I understand how unrealistic that goal is, so if it doesn't happen, I won't really be upset.

I have grades that, if trends of the past few years hold up, will be within the top 5% of grades at my school. The issue is, I never really felt as if I figured out how law school really worked, and even after grades I am still baffled as to what I got in what class. (Classes I hated/skipped I did the best in.) Long story short, little faith that I will be able to keep my grades up this high until the end of next semester. I don't expect a divebomb, but I doubt I will do as well again.

Anyway, I need to strike while the iron is hot. Are there any good schools with early decision transfer applications that I have a realistic shot of getting into?

Assuming I can at least keep my grades in the 15% range after the second semester, would I have any shot of getting into the likes of Texas, Vanderbilt, Illinois? What about the t14? I doubt anything in the top 10, but maybe Cornell or Georgetown or something?

I really know almost nothing about transferring, so I apologize if a lot of this information is available elsewhere. I never even considered transferring and sat on my butt expecting mediocre grades all break.

Thanks for any help.

Ronburgandy2468

Re: What Are My Options? Top 5% in Upper T2

Postby Ronburgandy2468 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:08 pm

At the Drive-In wrote:By some act of Tim Tebow, I finished with good grades after my 1st semester.

Hahahahah! This thread deserves a bump

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:38 pm

For "Stage One" of the transfer game, I'd suggest that you apply ED to Chicago and EA to Georgetown.

For "Stage Two" of the transfer game, I'd aim much higher:

You'll probably land at least one of the lower T14 with similar stats (5-10% at an upper TT). I'd blanket them all and expect to get into one, but not all of them.

You're unlikely to get into Texas as a transfer (they take a ridiculously low number of transfer students; usually those have "compelling" reasons like 'I've accepted a Texas supreme court internship' or 'I have a dying relative who lives in Round Rock' or 'That building over there? Yeah, it's named for my [insert relative who donates a shitton to UT]').

Vandy is historically transfer-friendly, but I think you'll have better options.

Don't go to Illinois. You're better off where you're at, unless you absolutely MUST go to Chicago (and even then, some on this board would advise against it).

Most important: concentrate on repeating your performance this semester. Congrats and GL!

emptyflare

Postby emptyflare » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:57 pm

At the Drive-In wrote:By some act of Tim Tebow, I finished with good grades after my 1st semester. I attend a strong regional T2 in the 50-65 ranking range. I don't have particularly strong ties to this region, nor do I have any convincing reason to stay, but I am not against to staying in either.

I am pretty geographically open and I don't really have any particular career goals in mind. I may want to do academia one day, but I understand how unrealistic that goal is, so if it doesn't happen, I won't really be upset.

I have grades that, if trends of the past few years hold up, will be within the top 5% of grades at my school. The issue is, I never really felt as if I figured out how law school really worked, and even after grades I am still baffled as to what I got in what class. (Classes I hated/skipped I did the best in.) Long story short, little faith that I will be able to keep my grades up this high until the end of next semester. I don't expect a divebomb, but I doubt I will do as well again.

Anyway, I need to strike while the iron is hot. Are there any good schools with early decision transfer applications that I have a realistic shot of getting into?

Assuming I can at least keep my grades in the 15% range after the second semester, would I have any shot of getting into the likes of Texas, Vanderbilt, Illinois? What about the t14? I doubt anything in the top 10, but maybe Cornell or Georgetown or something?

I really know almost nothing about transferring, so I apologize if a lot of this information is available elsewhere. I never even considered transferring and sat on my butt expecting mediocre grades all break.

Thanks for any help.

Congrats on the terrific results. This should be a very helpful overview of everything having to do with transferring: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=82937.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:48 pm

1) ED/EA. I wouldn't waste your time with either of these. It is unlikely you get Chicago ED as I don't think any T2 people got in last year; you are also going to have to waste your $$$ on the GULC seat deposit if you get in there, and you can probably get in otherwise

2) After next semester if you keep your grades, apply to Columbia, NYU, Penn, Michigan, Northwestern and Georgetown. Apply to UVA if you are a resident. Apply to Berkeley if you are a resident or have a compelling reason to be in the area. Don't apply to Cornell because they don't let transfers do the big NYC job fair.

Normally I would advocate staying if you made LR and wanted to stay in your school's region (and had $$). However, since you don't want to stay in your school's region, it doesn't sound like there is much of a reason for you to stay there.

At the Drive-In

Postby At the Drive-In » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:40 am

keg411 wrote:1) ED/EA. I wouldn't waste your time with either of these. It is unlikely you get Chicago ED as I don't think any T2 people got in last year; you are also going to have to waste your $$$ on the GULC seat deposit if you get in there, and you can probably get in otherwise

Yes, I have heard the GULC seat deposit is pretty brutal, and I am as poor as can be right now.

keg411 wrote:2) After next semester if you keep your grades, apply to Columbia, NYU, Penn, Michigan, Northwestern and Georgetown. Apply to UVA if you are a resident. Apply to Berkeley if you are a resident or have a compelling reason to be in the area. Don't apply to Cornell because they don't let transfers do the big NYC job fair.

Wow, is there some history of people who do well at T2's getting into those schools? I would never in a million years have dreamed that if I did well enough where I am now that I could end up at Columbia, NYU, Penn, OR Michigan. It's a shame I hate cold weather.
When I was originally applying to law school, I was pretty neutral as to where I wanted to go. I chose something rather arbitrarily. If I were to get into ANY of those schools, I would go. I guess it can't hurt to try if I stay in the top 5%, or at least the top 10%.

emptyflare wrote:
Congrats on the terrific results. This should be a very helpful overview of everything having to do with transferring: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=82937.

Thank you, and thank you for linking me to this. This was a really good read, and I felt like it exponentially increased my knowledge about transferring.
patrickd139 wrote:For "Stage One" of the transfer game, I'd suggest that you apply ED to Chicago and EA to Georgetown.

If by some miracle I did get into University of Chicago, I am not sure if I would want to go. I know it's a great school and all, but, yeah, i don't like having my hand forced.

patrickd139 wrote:For "Stage Two" of the transfer game, I'd aim much higher:

You'll probably land at least one of the lower T14 with similar stats (5-10% at an upper TT). I'd blanket them all and expect to get into one, but not all of them.

Again, i am absolutely shocked that if I stay within that grade range I'd have a shot at getting into a T14. When I was applying for law school those places seemed so grossly out of reach.

patrickd139 wrote:You're unlikely to get into Texas as a transfer (they take a ridiculously low number of transfer students; usually those have "compelling" reasons like 'I've accepted a Texas supreme court internship' or 'I have a dying relative who lives in Round Rock' or 'That building over there? Yeah, it's named for my [insert relative who donates a shitton to UT]').

Vandy is historically transfer-friendly, but I think you'll have better options.

Don't go to Illinois. You're better off where you're at, unless you absolutely MUST go to Chicago (and even then, some on this board would advise against it).

No worries, I was just arbitrarily throwing out t1 schools that weren't in the t14 because I was trying to feel around where I could transfer. Turns out I underestimated what good grades meant as far as transferring goes. I wouldn't particularly want Illi or Texas. Vandy, maybe. I don't really know much about its placement outside of Tennessee - but that is a different argument entirely.
patrickd139 wrote:Most important: concentrate on repeating your performance this semester. Congrats and GL!

Thank you and I appreciate the help!

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:09 am

First, props for the user name. One of my favorite bands, and I'm glad to see them reunited.

Secondly, I'm at WUSTL, which is extremely transfer friendly. If you had any midwest interest, throw an app this way. Better than Illinois.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:36 am

Without any definite geographical preference & with a top 5% class rank, you should apply only to T-14 law schools since national placement opportunities are greatest among this group of law schools.

johnB86

Postby johnB86 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:45 am

Last edited by johnB86 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:34 pm

At the Drive-In wrote:
keg411 wrote:2) After next semester if you keep your grades, apply to Columbia, NYU, Penn, Michigan, Northwestern and Georgetown. Apply to UVA if you are a resident. Apply to Berkeley if you are a resident or have a compelling reason to be in the area. Don't apply to Cornell because they don't let transfers do the big NYC job fair.

Wow, is there some history of people who do well at T2's getting into those schools? I would never in a million years have dreamed that if I did well enough where I am now that I could end up at Columbia, NYU, Penn, OR Michigan. It's a shame I hate cold weather.
When I was originally applying to law school, I was pretty neutral as to where I wanted to go. I chose something rather arbitrarily. If I were to get into ANY of those schools, I would go. I guess it can't hurt to try if I stay in the top 5%, or at least the top 10%.

I was about top 5% at a lower T2 and got into Michigan, Northwestern, Cornell and GULC. People at my old school also got into Penn and there are several T2 people on the board that got into Columbia and NYU. I would apply to the schools I suggested based on where your grades end up being in addition to your residency/where you want to end up.

There is no reason to apply to WUSTL or for that matter, ANYWHERE outside of the T14 if you are top 5% at a T2. Those schools are not worth going to, and according to a transfer I know there, only 5 transfers got some type of Summer Associate job as of mid-October.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:56 pm

keg411 wrote:
At the Drive-In wrote:

I was about top 5% at a lower T2 and got into Michigan, Northwestern, Cornell and GULC. People at my old school also got into Penn and there are several T2 people on the board that got into Columbia and NYU. I would apply to the schools I suggested based on where your grades end up being in addition to your residency/where you want to end up.

There is no reason to apply to WUSTL or for that matter, ANYWHERE outside of the T14 if you are top 5% at a T2. Those schools are not worth going to, and according to a transfer I know there, only 5 transfers got some type of Summer Associate job as of mid-October.

This. T2 transfers are very unpredictable, and if I were you I would blanket the T14 minus Y + S. Transferring to WUSTL (or any T30) might actually lower your job prospects.

Lyonsoccer87

Postby Lyonsoccer87 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:00 pm

keg411 wrote:
At the Drive-In wrote:

Keg did your grades get better after your first semester or was your rank appox the same the whole year? I am also very interested in Michigan and one of my professors is an alum. Any advice about the application process esp when you have no ties to the location of the school? Did you participate in OCI at your old school?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:17 pm

To answer your questions:

1) My grades actually dipped at tad second semester because I got a B+ in ConLaw. I still hate the class, though even if I got an A or A-, I don't think my GPA would have been competitive with the three people that got Penn from my school (who all had GPA's well over 3.9). Maybe if I got an A+, but that wasn't going to happen as I got 0 A+'s and that wasn't going to happen in what I knew was my worst class.

2) You generally don't need "ties" for T14's. The only exceptions from last cycle were Berkeley and UVA. For reference, I had no location ties to locations of schools I got into and tons of location ties to three schools I was rejected from (Penn, CLS and NYU).

3) I did not participate in OCI at my old school since it would have been at the same time as at my new school. I did apply for it (since I hadn't decided at that point), but never got my results as I withdrew once I decided to transfer.

At the Drive-In

Postby At the Drive-In » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:33 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
keg411 wrote:
At the Drive-In wrote:

This. T2 transfers are very unpredictable, and if I were you I would blanket the T14 minus Y + S. Transferring to WUSTL (or any T30) might actually lower your job prospects.

Alright, so a few questions.

I take it that schools are used to grade deflation/inflation? My school's grades seem to be rather deflated. For example, I saw someone in the transfer forum who had a 3.7 at Cornell, which was something like the top 11% there. Here, that grade would probably be in the top 2%, maybe higher. I understand that 10% at Cornell > 5% here, but what I am wondering is if 3.8/3.9s are typical top 5%-10% grades at most law schools.
There's something a little wonky about the rankings here, and I won't elaborate because of anonymity, but basically, I am hoping that the rank in the class, to a transfer institution, is a lot more important than the GPA, because my GPA is a lot lower than a lot of the people here who have transferred, but my class rank (within the top 5%) is pretty spot on. Granted, my rankings aren't due out for a month or two, and my grades may very well be the top 10% rather than the top 5% (Knock on wood). If you need more details about that, PM me.

Secondly, I am not a resident nor do I have any ties to Texas, Virginia, or California.
So, assuming I stay in the top 5% at my school, would it be wise for me to apply to every T14 below Stanford other than Texas, Virginia, and Berkeley? (Therefore, Georgetown, Cornell -even though it won't allow NYC OCI, Duke, Penn, Michigan, NYU, Columbia, and Chicago?) Columbia or NYU would be an absolute dream for me, but I imagine those would be the hardest to get into. But I would be happy getting into any of these schools.

Thirdly, someone recommended that I only apply to T14 if my grades stay the same. I sure hope my chances are that good, but would a transfer to a t25 such as Vanderbilt or ND really not be worth it? Again, I don't really care where I end up, but I will say I don't have any interest in working in California so I wouldn't consider USC or anything like that.

Thank you all for all of your help!

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:08 pm

At the Drive-In wrote:Alright, so a few questions.

I take it that schools are used to grade deflation/inflation? My school's grades seem to be rather deflated. For example, I saw someone in the transfer forum who had a 3.7 at Cornell, which was something like the top 11% there. Here, that grade would probably be in the top 2%, maybe higher. I understand that 10% at Cornell > 5% here, but what I am wondering is if 3.8/3.9s are typical top 5%-10% grades at most law schools.
There's something a little wonky about the rankings here, and I won't elaborate because of anonymity, but basically, I am hoping that the rank in the class, to a transfer institution, is a lot more important than the GPA, because my GPA is a lot lower than a lot of the people here who have transferred, but my class rank (within the top 5%) is pretty spot on. Granted, my rankings aren't due out for a month or two, and my grades may very well be the top 10% rather than the top 5% (Knock on wood). If you need more details about that, PM me.

Secondly, I am not a resident nor do I have any ties to Texas, Virginia, or California.
So, assuming I stay in the top 5% at my school, would it be wise for me to apply to every T14 below Stanford other than Texas, Virginia, and Berkeley? (Therefore, Georgetown, Cornell -even though it won't allow NYC OCI, Duke, Penn, Michigan, NYU, Columbia, and Chicago?) Columbia or NYU would be an absolute dream for me, but I imagine those would be the hardest to get into. But I would be happy getting into any of these schools.

Thirdly, someone recommended that I only apply to T14 if my grades stay the same. I sure hope my chances are that good, but would a transfer to a t25 such as Vanderbilt or ND really not be worth it? Again, I don't really care where I end up, but I will say I don't have any interest in working in California so I wouldn't consider USC or anything like that.

Thank you all for all of your help!

To answer your questions in order:

1. Your actual GPA is meaningless except as an indicator of class rank. So no, the fact that your school curves lower than others will not be held against you. Most adcomms will have a pretty good idea of where you fall in the class based on past transfer applications from your school, although you should send a grade distribution chart if you have access to one.

2. Yes, the schools you listed are exactly where I would apply. I would also add HLS. Don't sell yourself short -- many TT students transfer into NYU and Columbia every year.

3. IMHO, transferring TT --> T25 is rarely worth it unless you absolutely hate your current geographic market. Transferring provides diminishing returns as you target schools further down in the rankings, and once you get outside of the T14 it becomes increasingly likely you will strike out at OCI.

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:28 am

How much debt are you facing/what kind of scholarship are you on, and how strong is your current TT in the region (as far as job placement)?

At the Drive-In

Postby At the Drive-In » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:36 am

jeeptiger09 wrote:How much debt are you facing/what kind of scholarship are you on, and how strong is your current TT in the region (as far as job placement)?

I have a maxed grad stafford loan, but nothing else. That's still a good chunk of debt, but it could be substantially worse. I don't know if there is any hope of getting a scholarship for having good grades here, I would bet not. Maybe if I dangle a potential transfer? I don't know, there aren't a lot of recent transfers out of here. I would be taking A LOT more debt no matter where I chose to transfer it would seem.

This TT is strong in the region, but primarily within this state. I would guess that a substantial majority stay within this state after graduation. I don't really want to stay in the state, but I would. And while there are some better schools within a few hours in a few directions, most grads from those schools don't come around here.

PM me if you need more details.

At the Drive-In

Postby At the Drive-In » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:59 am

Helmholtz wrote:UChicago ED is almost certainly not even worth the app fee / time submitting the app. I would not transfer unless it's to a T14. Transferring into a school like WUSTL sounds like a horrible idea.

As things stand now, that is what I want to do. I never had any plans to transfer to a school like WUSTL, but I was testing the waters on how wise that would be. Given that a lot of people said it wouldn't be worth it, I guess it's T14 or bust.

At the Drive-In

Postby At the Drive-In » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Ok, I'm back. I'm bumping this thread rather than starting a new one because not much has changed and anyone who needs to know my situation can just read this thread rather than having me re-explain it.

Two things:
I am not in the top 5% at my school, I am in the top 10%. We round to tenths, and I got rounded down from a x.x4. If I average even .1 better than I did this semester then I did last semester I will be in the top 5%. Does this really make much of a difference? I guess there is this mythical barrier between 5% and 10%, but really if we didn't round I would be in the 5%. Kind of bitter. MY LIFE IS SO HARD. Anyway, enough about that.

The list of schools that people in this thread recommended I apply to are Columbia, NYU, Penn, Michigan, Northwestern and Georgetown. Would a slightly lower than expected class rank change any of this? UVA/Berkeley were left off because they prefer in-state residents, correct? (Don't REALLY want to go to California anyway, but I could live with UVA.) Cornell doesn't allow transfers to participate in their main OCI, which is why Cornell wasn't recommended (and why so few people transfer there). Also, what about Duke? Are they particularly transfer unfriendly or something? I don't really have any preference for duke or anything, was just wondering. What about University of Chicago?

To reiterate for those that didn't read the thread- I don't particularly want to be where I am anymore. But I also have no preference at all where I end up. I want to go to a T14, obviously, and I had originally planned on trying to transfer to some non-T14 schools, but I don't think I am anymore. I didn't ED to anything. At the time of making this thread I wasn't sure if I wanted to transfer, but since making it I am about 95% sure that I want to. When I say I have no preference, I mean I have NO preference. Every T14 is exactly the same to me as far as preference. Even California. I don't know any of the areas and I don't care!

I guess another question while I think about it:

I am about to start seeking letters of rec, and I definitely have one locked up. The second one is what I am going to have difficulty with, as my second highest grade last semester (with my highest grade being the prof. who I plan on asking to write the first letter) was a professor who isn't exactly known for being approachable or really knowing his students, and the professor I know well I didn't particularly get an amazing grade in his class. Which one should I go for?

As always, any tips would be appreciated.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Duke doesn't take many transfers, and you're not getting Chicago unless you're closer to top 1% (they're really hard on T2 transfers).

At just outside of the top 5% at a T2 (or somewhere on the cusp), your best shots are probably Michigan, Northwestern and GULC. It's going to be hard to get CLS/NYU unless you get well into the top 5%, and same probably goes for Penn. I was about top 5% at a T2 last year (not sure if just in or just out because we didn't rank and cut-offs were weird and by semester) and got into GULC/NW/Michigan but was rejected from everything higher ranked.

As for LOR's, it doesn't matter if the profs don't know you that well. Go talk to the professor you had the highest grade and in pose a question like you are considering transferring and just want to chat about it. It's a good way both so she/he can get to know you and your goals and will also be a great way of feeling out of whether the prof would be willing to write a rec at all.

At the Drive-In

Postby At the Drive-In » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:32 pm

keg411 wrote:At just outside of the top 5% at a T2 (or somewhere on the cusp), your best shots are probably Michigan, Northwestern and GULC. It's going to be hard to get CLS/NYU unless you get well into the top 5%, and same probably goes for Penn. I was about top 5% at a T2 last year (not sure if just in or just out because we didn't rank and cut-offs were weird and by semester) and got into GULC/NW/Michigan but was rejected from everything higher ranked.

Are transfer apps evaluated before second semester grades are in? (Obviously schools take longer or shorter amounts of time getting grades in). A lot of these apps go "available" via LSAC in April, and are due in early July (or June 15 for GULC). I would hope my school's grades are in by then, but no guarantee.

Is the right way to go about doing this just applying when apps become available, and then just sending in the second semester grades when they come in? My concern is that IF my second semester grades are better, the schools I apply to would have made a decision already and they wouldn't matter. I mean, it doesn't seem likely that a school waits for the completion of your file in its entirety before they start reviewing, and as I imagine some schools are so slow with grades that they might not even be available until after the deadline. I am having a hard time expressing what I am trying to say.

Obviously it's hard to speak in general terms about these transfer apps, but basically

If I send in an application to a school and it is entirely complete OTHER THAN second semester grades, will a school wait until second semester grades are in before they look at it, or wait until second semester grades are submitted before they review it?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:53 pm

I sent most of mine afterwards, but I was personally afraid of a grade drop. But if you feel confident, might as well go ahead and do it before and then send an e-mail .pdf once you get all your second-semester grades (some schools might start reviewing your app before that, but they probably won't reject you before that). Just like in regular admissions, it's a pretty big advantage to have your stuff in super-early. Also, do all of the Dean's Certification stuff before you get your grades. Waiting on this killed a ton of my apps.

Additionally, get your PS done NOW. And personalize it as much as you can to each school (which can be a bitch and half).

reasonable troll

Postby reasonable troll » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:09 pm

Hey Keg, for specialized personal statements, what do you think about the warning against just going off of info available on the school's website? Did you do extra research? I guess even a ps geared toward a specific school that only uses general info is still better than a ps that doesn't even mention the school and obviously was written to be used in multiple applications. Thoughts?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:25 pm

reasonable troll wrote:Hey Keg, for specialized personal statements, what do you think about the warning against just going off of info available on the school's website? Did you do extra research? I guess even a ps geared toward a specific school that only uses general info is still better than a ps that doesn't even mention the school and obviously was written to be used in multiple applications. Thoughts?

I talked about specific professors and classes that I was interested in, all of which I pulled off the school's website. Got the suggestion from someone who worked in admissions (though not law school admissions); you can also look for other programs as well (journals, centers, clinics, etc.). I mean, you don't want to sound like you're regurgitating the website, but you should also think of specific reasons why you want to transfer to the school. I have no idea if my PS's helped, but my numbers were pretty borderline.

Lyonsoccer87

Postby Lyonsoccer87 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:57 pm

Hey Keg, you said to get your Dean certification letter in before waiting for second semester grades, but isn't that where they place your class rank? My first semester official transcript made no mention of a rank, and i saw in the dean cert/good standing there was a blank for class rank. Did your transcript list your class rank along with your GPA?

Return to “Transfers”