25% at NU to Harvard?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Snape

25% at NU to Harvard?

Postby Snape » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:35 am

Looking for any thoughts or advice:

Me: 3.63 GPA first semester (roughly 25%): Peace Corps + 3 Years of Public Service work in the US + Married with wife wanting to move her career to Boston area (near her entire family).

I hear Harvard should be top 10% from NU but also that they really like work experience and outside factors from transfer applicants.

Assuming I stay the same (I didn't work very hard first semester and have 2 non-curved courses as opposed to 0 last semester (excluding legal writing)--So there is a good chance I could do better with a motive and focus for my pestering wife and some courses I actually am excited about taking.

Is there any chance at a transfer? Any idea how much very good work experience and family reasons for a move to Boston would help--Is it possible to overcome a 25%~ and get into that top 10% to be more competitive?

Thanks!

dietcoke0

Re: 25% at NU to Harvard?

Postby dietcoke0 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:26 pm

Probably not. Wait till Spring Score. But you are basically above average at a school several rankings lower. What about you are they going to say, he would be a great fit here at Harvard.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:31 pm

Yeah, my hunch is at least top 10 percent.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:22 pm

Return to “Transfers”