Transfer possibility below median

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
unexpected

Transfer possibility below median

Postby unexpected » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Currently slightly below 1L at T4 in Texas and looking to transfer to another T4 in a different Texas city. Curve here is B- and i have 2 C's, C+, and 2 B-. Im looking to transfer back to my hometown for family reasons. Would it be possible if I got above median grades in the spring semester?
Last edited by unexpected on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Re: Transfer possiblity below median

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:02 pm

If you are willing to pay full tuition at a Tier Four law school & have survived the first year elsewhere, then you should be accepted. Tier Four law schools often have many openings in the 2L class due to transfers & drop-outs.

unexpected

Postby unexpected » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:13 pm

yeah im actually basically paying full tuition here now that Im losing most of my scholarship. I followed a combination of the how to succeed advice on TLS but I guess I freaked out during the final. Good to know im dumber than most of my class.

concurrent fork

Re: Transfer possibility below median

Postby concurrent fork » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:47 pm

Don't mean to be harsh, but you are probably better off just dropping out and moving home.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:47 pm

concurrent fork wrote:Don't mean to be harsh, but you are probably better off just dropping out and moving home.

+1, unless your undergrad degree is useless, in which case the jd might give some job opportunity even if it is contract work.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:54 pm

unexpected wrote:yeah im actually basically paying full tuition here now that Im losing most of my scholarship. I followed a combination of the how to succeed advice on TLS but I guess I freaked out during the final. Good to know im dumber than most of my class.

After going through one semester of grades, you must know that grades tend to be more random than based on just smarts. Nerves can play a huge part. I'm very sorry to hear you are losing most of your scholarship.

Here is the thing - don't get down on yourself. Put this behind you. Figure out what is best for you and your family going forward. You are in a good place to make a good decision now, you probably have little debt.

Law school isn't for everyone. Think really hard if it is worth it to you to continue.

At any rate, don't think of yourself as dumb.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:50 am

merc280 wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:Don't mean to be harsh, but you are probably better off just dropping out and moving home.

+1, unless your undergrad degree is useless, in which case the jd might give some job opportunity even if it is contract work.

Not to pile on, but 'contract work' doesn't exist in Texas in the same capacity as it does on the East Coast.

OP: I'll second a lot of what's been said already. If you're not set on becoming a lawyer, I'd at least devote some serious thought to the pros and cons of dropping out while you're (relatively) debt free. It's a tough job market out there right now for lawyers. Most people are not really in a great position to do more than hang out a shingle if you're below median at a T4 in Texas. Luckily, that can put food on the table in Texas if you go about it the right way, and in the right location. But, man, it'd be a really, really tough life if you're not 1000% devoted to practicing law as an end.

Good luck!

Return to “Transfers”