Transfer Advice

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Hon. Art Vandelay

Transfer Advice

Postby Hon. Art Vandelay » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:54 pm

Long time lurker here, first time poster.

Curent 1L at T2 in the 70's. Finished first semester in at least top 5%, probably closer to top 3%. I've looked on yahoo transfer groups, but its hard to find many people with similar stats from a similar ranking transfering up. How high up do you think I can transfer if (huge if) I can finish with similar numbers next semester?

Also, one school I've in love with since high school is ND (also I visited and the new law school is awesome), just wondering if people think it would be really stupid to transfer there over a T14. What do you think my employment chances would be at as a ND transfer comming from a T2 w/ top 5% vs T14 w/ top 5% from T2.

Thanks for all the help!

concurrent fork

Re: Transfer Advice

Postby concurrent fork » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:50 am

Hon. Art Vandelay wrote:How high up do you think I can transfer if (huge if) I can finish with similar numbers next semester?

Everywhere is possible (perhaps excluding Y). Realistically, I think you would get one of CCN.

Hon. Art Vandelay wrote:Also, one school I've in love with since high school is ND (also I visited and the new law school is awesome), just wondering if people think it would be really stupid to transfer there over a T14. What do you think my employment chances would be at as a ND transfer comming from a T2 w/ top 5% vs T14 w/ top 5% from T2.

Yes, this would be stupid since you will pay full tuition at ND. ND places about 25-30% in the NLJ 250 while NW and Chi are each about 55-60%. So, for roughly the same price (I would guess tuition at Chi and NW is slightly higher) you:
(1) double your chance of landing a decent firm job;
(2) get access to a larger and more diverse OCI;
(3) get significantly better clerkship opportunities;
(4) get a degree with more prestige and mobility.

You could make an argument for ND if the only T14 you get is GULC and you want to practice in the midwest. But, assuming your current school is already in your desired market, I would just stay at that point.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:53 am

apply to Uchicago ED. Also apply to GULC ED. I don't think GULC is binding early... at least it wasn't when I applied.

you want to lock something up and not take a risk of doing poorly second semester. There was a kid in my class who was top 2-5% 1st semester who didn't apply anywhere and fell all the way to the top 15-20% after 2nd semester.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:11 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
Hon. Art Vandelay wrote:How high up do you think I can transfer if (huge if) I can finish with similar numbers next semester?

Everywhere is possible (perhaps excluding Y). Realistically, I think you would get one of CCN.

Hon. Art Vandelay wrote:Also, one school I've in love with since high school is ND (also I visited and the new law school is awesome), just wondering if people think it would be really stupid to transfer there over a T14. What do you think my employment chances would be at as a ND transfer comming from a T2 w/ top 5% vs T14 w/ top 5% from T2.

Yes, this would be stupid since you will pay full tuition at ND. ND places about 25-30% in the NLJ 250 while NW and Chi are each about 55-60%. So, for roughly the same price (I would guess tuition at Chi and NW is slightly higher) you:
(1) double your chance of landing a decent firm job;
(2) get access to a larger and more diverse OCI;
(3) get significantly better clerkship opportunities;
(4) get a degree with more prestige and mobility.

You could make an argument for ND if the only T14 you get is GULC and you want to practice in the midwest. But, assuming your current school is already in your desired market, I would just stay at that point.

H and S would probably require you to be in the top 1 or 2 students at a T2. Columbia is more like top 2%

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:34 pm

Harvard doesn't restrict Tier Two transfers to top few students. Other posters reported success from Tier Two law schools in top 5%-10%. OP's top 3% should receive fair consideration.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:59 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Harvard doesn't restrict Tier Two transfers to top few students. Other posters reported success from Tier Two law schools in top 5%-10%. OP's top 3% should receive fair consideration.

Maybe. I haven't scoured the results, but when I transferred, that was my recollection. I could be wrong.

A quick search of only a few data points, here, though, indicates the results are bleak.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=161381&hilit=harvard&start=50

Which posters are you referring to?

Return to “Transfers”