LLS -->USC/UCLA or head east?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

LLS -->USC/UCLA or head east?

Postby Crescent » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi everybody. I'm a current LLS student, probably going to place somewhere in the 5-10% range after this semester. Have started to consider the option of transferring, and I was wondering what the possibility of transferring to a USC/UCLA might be. I would love to go to either of these schools, and I want to practice in CA (LA), but I find it difficult to come up with a compelling argument as to why I should be accepted as a transfer to a school right next door (besides the better rank/prestige, of course). They both have programs that I am very interested in, but I'm having trouble finding a good angle. I'm also open to applying out of state depending on my how my final GPA turns out, so does anybody know of transfer stats from a school like LLS to schools like Columbia/GULC/Duke? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cool forum!

Re: LLS -->USC/UCLA or head east?

Postby gangstar » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:58 am

Don't transer- LLS is amazing! (current LLS Student)

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:44 am

Increased job prospects are a legitimate reason.

Cast a wide net.

Postby emoticons777 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:07 am

You could probably get into UCLA, USC is hard to tell. The thing is that you will get the same job at UCLA as you would at Loyola. Schools that do OCI at UCLA are very familiar with Loyola, and apply their Loyola grade cut offs (and general review stuff) to Loyola transfers. You don't really get a bump. If you want to practice in CA, I say you stay at Loyola. I also believe they're one of the few schools that gives increased scholarships for better grades.

Postby thrillerjesus » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:16 am

If you want to practice in LA, don't go east. If you want Biglaw in LA, top of the class at LLS is about the same as transferring T14 (except for HYS). If you don't want biglaw, your grades matter far less than your networking, and you can't network all that well from 3,000 miles away.

I can't speak to the OCI benefits of transferring to UCLA or USC from LLS, but you don't need a compelling reason other than their "strong national reputation, particularly in southern california." The admissions people know what's up.

Return to “Transfers”