DCNG --> Columbia?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PinkCow

DCNG --> Columbia?

Postby PinkCow » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:29 pm

Please don't hate me. I've searched through pages and pages and haven't really found anything similar.

Not sure what my actual percentage is, but somewhere between Top-25% and Top-20%, maybe slightly higher.

I know that the sticky says top 5-10% for T1, but I've gotta hope that DCNG puts transfers in a better place than a lower T1.

Help?

lawschoolgrapedme

Re: DCNG --> Columbia?

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:15 pm

I know someone who transferred to CLS from DCNG this cycle who was top 10-15%.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:33 pm

PinkCow wrote:Please don't hate me. I've searched through pages and pages and haven't really found anything similar.

Not sure what my actual percentage is, but somewhere between Top-25% and Top-20%, maybe slightly higher.

I know that the sticky says top 5-10% for T1, but I've gotta hope that DCNG puts transfers in a better place than a lower T1.

Help?

Why would you want to? Your job prospects aren't going to increase, and may decrease. At least tell me you are aiming of NYC at OCI.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
PinkCow wrote:Please don't hate me. I've searched through pages and pages and haven't really found anything similar.

Help?

Why would you want to? Your job prospects aren't going to increase, and may decrease. At least tell me you are aiming of NYC at OCI.

Yes. Maximizing NYC was the plan, and I thought Columbia would make that happen. Also, my SO has job prospects at CLS. I'm a little confused about the consequences of transferring. If you don't mind, could you tell me how my job prospects would decrease?

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:33 am

PinkCow,

It's only natural to want to GTFO of Ithaca (second semester is worse, if you can believe it!). I transferred from Cornell to NYU (but was admitted at all three of CCN). Transferring (to NYU) was the best decision I've ever made and the other Cornell transfers feel similarly. PM me if you want to hear more as to why.

Also, remember that this is just one semester. You're really going to need to be closer to top 10% to make any kind of significant jump. Last year, Cornell had 6 or 7 transfers to Harvard and all of those seemed to have top 10ish percent PLUS good work experience. CCN transfers from Cornell (though no one actually matriculated to CC, per my knowledge) were also top 10-15 percent, but none of us had any pre-LS work experience. So draw what conclusions you wish to from that.

Cornell to CN is really competitive because everyone wants to leave Ithaca for the city, Chicago may be less so because of the presumedly reduced applicant pool. Penn might also be an option if your grades stay the same and your SO is in the city.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:39 am

PinkCow wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Help?

Yes. Maximizing NYC was the plan, and I thought Columbia would make that happen. Also, my SO has job prospects at CLS. I'm a little confused about the consequences of transferring. If you don't mind, could you tell me how my job prospects would decrease?

The idea is generally that if you're high enough in your class at lower T14 to transfer, you already have a surer shot at biglaw than presumed median (which is the general guess at how transfers are viewed at OCI) at CCN. In your case specifically, I personally don't know enough to know whether top 20-25% at DCNG is a lock or not, but that's the reason someone's job prospects could decrease.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:53 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Help?

The idea is generally that if you're high enough in your class at lower T14 to transfer, you already have a surer shot at biglaw than presumed median (which is the general guess at how transfers are viewed at OCI) at CCN. In your case specifically, I personally don't know enough to know whether top 20-25% at DCNG is a lock or not, but that's the reason someone's job prospects could decrease.

This is VERY WRONG. Almost embarassingly so. Though Bai might be right that some transfers are viewed as median, if a firm at CCN OCI recruits at your DCNG, they are going to look at you in exactly the same manner as if you were at DCNG. So, if their grade cutoff is a 3.7 at DCNG, and you had a 3.7 during 1L, they are not going to consider you as a median student at CCN, they are going to look at you as a 3.7 student from DCNG.

The real advantage in the DCNG to CCN transfer is that CCN has a much higher callback to screener ratio (ie firms will give out 10 callbacks per 20 screeners where they may only give out 6-7 to DCNG).

DesertFox is also similarly wrong. The DCNG transfers at my CCN all felt that transferring significantly improved out job prospects. Anecdotally, I had more CALLBACKS during oci at my CCN than I did SCREENERS scheduled at my DCNG's pathetic oci and other DCNG to CCN transfers felt the same.

tww909

Postby tww909 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:43 pm

i don't understand where the "transfers seen as median" meme even started. my experience is in line with what koalatriste says. if they have a cutoff for your school they will treat you as that, not as a median student at whatever school you transferred to.

even if they likely don't have a cutoff for your school, i saw a willingness at SLS's oci to treat transfers who were #1 or close to it in their class at t30-t2 schools better than median students at SLS. among my transfer class it seemed like those who targeted NYC (or split their targets NYC/some other major market) within this group had at least 1 v5 offer, and in some cases as many as 4/5 (with wachtell being the exception). my sense of the most common result for non-transfer students (as good a proxy for median results as anything i can offer) here was maybe 1 v5 offer, but more likely several offers in the simpson/cleary/weil/debevoise range.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:46 pm

This is VERY WRONG. Almost embarassingly so. Though Bai might be right that some transfers are viewed as median, if a firm at CCN OCI recruits at your DCNG, they are going to look at you in exactly the same manner as if you were at DCNG. So, if their grade cutoff is a 3.7 at DCNG, and you had a 3.7 during 1L, they are not going to consider you as a median student at CCN, they are going to look at you as a 3.7 student from DCNG.

The real advantage in the DCNG to CCN transfer is that CCN has a much higher callback to screener ratio (ie firms will give out 10 callbacks per 20 screeners where they may only give out 6-7 to DCNG).

DesertFox is also similarly wrong. The DCNG transfers at my CCN all felt that transferring significantly improved out job prospects. Anecdotally, I had more CALLBACKS during oci at my CCN than I did SCREENERS scheduled at my DCNG's pathetic oci and other DCNG to CCN transfers felt the same.

This sounds awesome.

So transferring out from DCN to a higher T14 pretty much puts you in a better position than any non transfer unless you get onto law review at your old school?

It's the only conclusion that I could come to considering:
1. You get the better prestige of the higher T14 school
2. Same or better firms at your new schools OCI
3. The firm will most likely recruit from a DCN school, so you still keep your 1L grades!
4. You get out of Ithaca!

Seriously, after reading your posts I don't get why someone in your position wouldn't transfer out unless they had law review at the old school.

Why are there not as many lower t14--> CCN transfers!?!?! It can only help you!

Return to “Transfers”