Early Decision Transfers

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jayt2012

Early Decision Transfers

Postby jayt2012 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:40 pm

Any experience on transferring from a school in the 40s to a T20 via early decision?

I'm currently a 1L and my first semester grades are as follows:

Civ Pro: A+ (highest grade in class)
Contracts: A
Criminal Law: A
Property: A-

My LSAT score was 165.

I don't know my LRW grade yet for this semester. I'm also not sure what percentage that puts me at, but I'm assuming either in the top 5 or top 10.

Thanks

Wholigan

Re: Early Decision Transfers

Postby Wholigan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:58 pm

You have a 4.0 GPA, as long as all of your classes count for the same number of credits. I'm sure that's higher than top 5%. I wouldn't apply to any schools under binding early decision, except maybe Chicago, which you may have a reasonable chance at - especially if you get an A in LRW as well.

jayt2012

Postby jayt2012 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:34 pm

Yes Chicago is actually my top choice (just didn't know if my LSAT score would be acceptable), so I plan to apply ED there. Hopefully LRW turns out well.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:26 pm

jayt2012 wrote:Yes Chicago is actually my top choice (just didn't know if my LSAT score would be acceptable), so I plan to apply ED there. Hopefully LRW turns out well.

LSAT is not relevant. The issue is that they only take a handful of people ED, but in your situation it's worth a shot. ED to Chicago and GULC if you think you'd transfer there. EA to GULC is not binding, and you'll probably get in.

trooper492

Postby trooper492 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:02 am

And don't discount H - you have a great shot there if you can rank in the top 5% of your class or higher.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:53 am

As top 5-10%, I wouldn't even consider a "T20" transfer. Some schools in that range are only marginally better than your current school. You should be looking primarily at T6.

If you want to buy some second semester insurance with a non-binding ED, apply to GULC (but that's the lowest I would go).

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:28 pm

You should clearly not do a binding ED to any school other than Chicago, if you ED at all.

My anecdotal experience:

I did 1L at a T-35 last year and contemplated applying ED to Chicago after first semester. I decided against it and at the end of the year applied to HYSChicago (The enormous transfer classes at Columbia and NYU turned me off).

I was out at H and Y, out at S in the last round of cuts ( :( ), and in at Chicago. Applying ED to Chicago would have been nice because I would have done the write-on competition, but also not wondering "what if" now has its psychological benefits.

Obviously your mileage may vary and last year was a particularly tough year for transferring. If you know you want to be here and/or are risk-averse, then apply ED. The impression I get is that the vast majority of our transfer class applied early decision and I was one of the few (The entire transfer class is only 14ish kids) to get in RD. If you want a shot at HYS and think you can repeat your performance second semester, roll the dice.
Last edited by Transferthrowaway on Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jayt2012

Postby jayt2012 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:59 pm

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I'll definitely apply ED to GULC since it is nonbinding.

What would be considered the advantages for applying early decision? Cons?

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:42 pm

jayt2012 wrote:Thanks for all the helpful responses. I'll definitely apply ED to GULC since it is nonbinding.

Well, if you are talking about GULC, the main advantage is that if your second semester grades are worse, you still have the option to transfer to a T14 school. The only disadvantage is that you have to drop a deposit to hold the spot. I think it was $1500 last year. For Chicago the disadvantage is that if you get in you don't get to see if you could have been accepted at HYS.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:03 pm

jayt2012 wrote:Thanks for all the helpful responses. I'll definitely apply ED to GULC since it is nonbinding.

The only real ED you should consider right now is Chicago, so I'll focus on the pros and cons of that decision. I alluded to a few of them in my post, but distilled:

Advantages:
1. You'll have an answer in time for the write-on competition this summer. University of Chicago, like H and unlike Y and S, does not have a separate competition for transfer students.
2. From just the make up of my year's transfer class, it seems like there were more ED admits than RD admits.
3. You can breath a little bit easier with grades and can even have a small drop in grades. But it's important to note that your ED acceptance is contingent on "similar performance", so you can't outright shit the bed second semester.
4. You'll be able to be more leisurely about finding housing.

Disadvantages:
1. If you continue to do well, there is a good chance you'll suffer from a "what if" mentality for HYS.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:35 am

Transferthrowaway wrote:

The only real ED you should consider right now is Chicago, so I'll focus on the pros and cons of that decision. I alluded to a few of them in my post, but distilled:

Advantages:
1. You'll have an answer in time for the write-on competition this summer. University of Chicago, like H and unlike Y and S, does not have a separate competition for transfer students.
2. From just the make up of my year's transfer class, it seems like there were more ED admits than RD admits.
3. You can breath a little bit easier with grades and can even have a small drop in grades. But it's important to note that your ED acceptance is contingent on "similar performance", so you can't outright shit the bed second semester.
4. You'll be able to be more leisurely about finding housing.

Disadvantages:
1. If you continue to do well, there is a good chance you'll suffer from a "what if" mentality for HYS.

I don't see a good reason for you to ED to Chicago - your shot at HYS is too good. Also keep in mind that HY do need-based aid for transfers, which can be significant (this is what really makes me have 'what if' issues).

Return to “Transfers”