Transferring to a Chicago School

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Transferring to a Chicago School

Postby 4gttngBrandonMarshal » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:29 pm

Anyone know much about transferring to Chicago schools? What grades do you need? I understand there are a lot of factors but here's a snapshot of some info:

School is at the top of 3rd Tier (very close to #100)
Fall 2011 Semester: Out of 15 credits - 3cr. C+, 3cr. C+, 1cr. Pass, 4cr. Not Yet Reported, 4cr. Not Yet Reported

Won't be attending Spring '12 semester due to financial reasons. Going to start working to build up my resume. Looking to return to law school in spring '13 or fall '13.

I realize that Chicago, U of I, and Northwestern are out of the picture. Looking to go to Chicago-Kent, DePaul, Loyola, or John Marshall.

Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: Transferring to a Chicago School

Postby S-IV » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:35 pm

I wouldn't do it. If you're going to transfer to a better school, transfer to one that dominates its market. Chicago, as far as I've gathered, is oversaturated with lawyers. So, without C or N, you might be SOL.

Postby traehekat » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:40 pm

Who is eligible to apply for admission as a transfer student?
To be eligible for transfer admission, students must have completed at least one year of study within the
past two years (day or evening) at an ABA-accredited law school. While most transfer applicants have
earned approximately 30 semester hours, there is no specific hour requirement.

I'm pretty sure that is standard across most schools, including Loyola, Kent, and John Marshall. So you would need to finish another semester at your current law school before you could transfer to another school. As far as grades go, I would imagine you would have to be at least top third to go from T3 to T2. I'm not sure where a C+ falls on your curve, but if it puts you significantly below median then it is obviously going to be tough to transfer. Although your hand may have been forced, I think forgoing law school at this point might be a wise decision. Even if you take time off, get some solid work experience, come back to your current school, kill it and get your GPA up, and then transfer to Loyola/DePaul/Kent, your job prospects out of these schools are still going to be rough.

Postby 4gttngBrandonMarshal » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:58 pm

Thanks for the helpful post. I was aware of the 1 year rule and I asked my dean about it. She says that it is a standard rule but they have made concessions for people under certain circumstances before. Hopefully the schools that I'm looking to go to will be willing to do something similar. I've gotten into DePaul once before so hopefully they saw something they liked and are willing to help me out. Hopefully the grades that have yet to come out will be good.

Return to “Transfers”