Transferring to a lower ranked law school

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
graciebren

Transferring to a lower ranked law school

Postby graciebren » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:08 pm

Hello all. I am a 1L at American. I don't have all my grades back yet so this may be premature; but so far it looks like I'm at or near the top 1/3 unless the last grade I'm waiting on is either truly terrible or truly amazing. Anyway, I suffered a pretty severe spinal injury shortly before class began in the fall and it has become very debilitating. This is going to be a chronic, long term problem. I need help with basic daily tasks, etc. I'm doing my best not to take a medical leave. I want to transfer to a school back home because I need long term help getting around. I really need to live at home with my family, and not in DC with my S&C associate boyfriend who just doesn't have time to take care of me (understandably). Really, my options are transfer to either a north Florida or south Florida school, near my family or drop out. I know my grades aren't stellar; but under these circumstances would I have a shot at transferring into U. Miami? or FSU? Do they really care about my situation? Or will they judge me negatively based on my medical problems if I disclose them?

traehekat

Re: Transferring to a lower ranked law school

Postby traehekat » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:31 pm

You would be a shoe-in at Miami and FSU, I would think. You have an excellent (although certainly unfortunate!) reason to transfer, and that's what schools - to some degree - care about. I highly doubt any school would judge your medical problem as a negative unless there is a strong indication that you would not be able to finish law school.

Is Gainesville not in the cards? My understanding is that if you want to practice in FL then UF is where you want to be. Plus I think you would probably have a decent shot at transferring there, although I'm not positive how many transfers they typically take. If you don't want to practice in FL, though, disregard this.

graciebren

Re: Transferring to a lower ranked law school

Postby graciebren » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:50 pm

That is very helpful. Actually, UF isn't in the cards because I don't have any family there to help me. It's a good school but it is often neck in neck with FSU. (Also I am an FSU law legacy; and I graduated from FSU undergrad suma cum laude, and did a lot of PhD work there...and taught at FSU too!...I'm pretty sure UF would hold that against me) In Tallahassee and the South Florida area I have family that can help me with things like driving/errands/daily living tasks. Here in DC, I am on my own and I know I would have done better this last semester if I had gotten some help. I appreciate your insight. This makes me feel better. I mean I know for certain that I could transfer to a school like Nova or FIU with my grades/law school rank but the job prospects aren't great. I would really hate to go from American to Nova. I obviously will if I have to, but it wouldn't be ideal. The thing is, despite my situation I really need to get a job so I'm very motivated to graduate law school. My condition is going to be pretty long term according to the doctors and I need to make sure I never loose my health insurance.
Anyway, thank you again!

Return to “Transfers”