Hastings --> UCLA/Other

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DildaMan

Hastings --> UCLA/Other

Postby DildaMan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:53 pm

I will probably place in 15%-20% the percentile judging from my first semester grades at Hastings.

Does anyone have any idea if its possible to transfer to UCLA or similarly ranked school with my numbers? I'm open to practice anywhere.

I've checked the transfer threads and the yahoo transfer groups but was unable to find any useful statistics.

Thank you!

tww909

Re: Hastings --> UCLA/Other

Postby tww909 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:24 pm

big day for hastings, wow.

i will reiterate the advice i've given elsewhere. i would say your odds of admission are decent. certainly it wouldn't hurt to apply. nevertheless if you are heart set on UCLA and want to be more certain you'll be admitted i would say top 10% is a safer bet.

the more difficult decision is whether or not that move is worth it for you. do you want biglaw? then it might be worthwhile, but i don't have any knowledge of how transfers in your position do at UCLA's OCI. how is your current debt load/what would it be if you transferred? can you negotiate a scholarship? in the end nobody can weigh the factors as well as you can, because it's hard to know how things will turn out until after the fact.

adonai

Postby adonai » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:45 pm

I really cannot see how it would be a benefit to transfer ~15 spots unless you want to be in the LA market specifically.

Postby 071816 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:50 pm

UCLA/USC probably wouldn't be worth it. Berkeley probably would be, but it really depends on what kind of money you're getting at Hastings right now and what your career goals are, etc.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:52 pm

Hastings TLSers killed it this semester :D

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:05 pm

I'm attending at sticker right now so leaving isn't an issue. I'll definitely try to use transfers to negotiate some scholarship money. Living in SF is ridiculously expensive.

Thanks for all the replies.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:26 pm

I think you'll be competitive for UCLA/USC, but I'd echo what others have said about the minimal benefits of transferring to either of those schools.

emoticons777

Postby emoticons777 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:38 pm

I know at least one person with that rank who transferred from Hastings to UCLA within the past 3 years. That person got a biglaw job, but barely. At UCLA, transfers generally get OCI jobs if they were competitive for them before they transferred.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:34 am

DildaMan wrote:I will probably place in 15%-20% the percentile judging from my first semester grades at Hastings.

Does anyone have any idea if its possible to transfer to UCLA or similarly ranked school with my numbers? I'm open to practice anywhere.

I've checked the transfer threads and the yahoo transfer groups but was unable to find any useful statistics.

Thank you!

Top 10% is more like what is necessary. I don't know anyone here from Hastings that was lower than Top 12%.

Tough year.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:35 am

DildaMan wrote:I'm attending at sticker right now so leaving isn't an issue. I'll definitely try to use transfers to negotiate some scholarship money. Living in SF is ridiculously expensive.

Thanks for all the replies.

Won't happen.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:42 am

chimp wrote:UCLA/USC probably wouldn't be worth it. Berkeley probably would be, but it really depends on what kind of money you're getting at Hastings right now and what your career goals are, etc.

I'd agree, to an extent. People who got biglaw could have gotten it at Hastings. On the other hand, some people got biglaw at firms that didn't interview at Hastings.

A lot of factors at play, including location. Or whether you might want to clerk down the road. Although you'd want to transfer higher to improve those odds.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:59 pm

missinglink wrote:
chimp wrote:UCLA/USC probably wouldn't be worth it. Berkeley probably would be, but it really depends on what kind of money you're getting at Hastings right now and what your career goals are, etc.

I'd agree, to an extent. People who got biglaw could have gotten it at Hastings. On the other hand, some people got biglaw at firms that didn't interview at Hastings.

A lot of factors at play, including location. Or whether you might want to clerk down the road. Although you'd want to transfer higher to improve those odds.

Thanks for the information. A transfer to Berkeley from Hastings would only be competitive at or above the top 5% percentile?

tww909

Postby tww909 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:55 pm

DildaMan wrote:
missinglink wrote:

Thanks for the information. A transfer to Berkeley from Hastings would only be competitive at or above the top 5% percentile?

i would say the line is probably closer to 10%. it's hard to say how the regional thing plays out. my friend who transferred to boalt told me they take a significant number from USF and hastings, so i think the local angle alters the calculus from a transfer at just any t1 school. either way it would be worth the application fee if you were anywhere in the top 10%.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:01 pm

adonai wrote:I really cannot see how it would be a benefit to transfer ~15 spots unless you want to be in the LA market specifically.

More like 30

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:05 am

DildaMan wrote:I will probably place in 15%-20% the percentile judging from my first semester grades at Hastings.

Thank you!

I'm in almost the same exact position at Hastings and thinking the same thing. I'm also paying sticker and willing to practice anywhere.

If you don't mind saying, where are you going to apply?

I still haven't decided. I'll probably apply to several schools at slightly above Hastings' rank and several in the T14. If I get accepted to a T14 it might be worthwhile to transfer. If I'm accepted to UCLA/USC it will provide excellent leverage for a larger 2L/3L merit scholarship.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:16 pm

I was going to apply to the lower T-14, UCLA, and USC. Hopefully I'll be able to pull this semester's grades up slightly.

Return to “Transfers”