lowest rank possible to transfer to penn from t25?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dreakol

lowest rank possible to transfer to penn from t25?

Postby dreakol » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:31 am

title says it all. any idea what the cut off to transfer to penn is from a t25? according to last years statistics i am top 20 percent.

concurrent fork

Re: lowest rank possible to transfer to penn from t25?

Postby concurrent fork » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:16 am

No one can give you a hard cutoff, but for a T30 --> mid T14 transfer you usually need to be more like top 10-15%. You should still send in an app though b/c transfers are not as predictable as 0L admissions.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:48 am

Lowest rank probably depends upon your reasons for transferring to Penn; for example, if your primary reason is purely for better job prospects, then my best guess is top 20%, but, if due to an urgent family matter in the Philadelphia area, then top 25% to top third. However, these are just my best guesses offered in an effort to generate further discussion.

tww909

Postby tww909 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:18 pm

i would personally put the number a little closer to top 10-15%, but all of this is conjecture. the facts are that you are not way out of the range of possibility, but to have any confidence about getting into penn you will probably want to do somewhat better next semester.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:46 pm

Lowest possible rank? Who the hell knows! As far as what will make you competitive, 10-15% sounds about right. A compelling reason to transfer might help, but I wouldn't count on it. Certainly worth an application, though, as I am sure people outside of the top 15% of a t25 have been admitted to Penn. Plus I assume you are a 1L who just finished first semester, so your rank could still improve into that more competitive 10-15% range.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:16 pm

thank you for the responses. i guess the bottom line is i need to improve my class rank this semester and come up with a compelling reason to transfer.

quick question: what is everyones thoughts on bringing up that i applied ED to penn initially? i'm hoping a strong desire to attend penn would be looked at favorably. other than that, i just have the basic "have family in the area and want to end up there after graduation" reasons.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:31 pm

dreakol wrote:thank you for the responses. i guess the bottom line is i need to improve my class rank this semester and come up with a compelling reason to transfer.

quick question: what is everyones thoughts on bringing up that i applied ED to penn initially? i'm hoping a strong desire to attend penn would be looked at favorably. other than that, i just have the basic "have family in the area and want to end up there after graduation" reasons.

wouldn't make it a large focus of your PS but it doesn't hurt to just drop it in there.

Return to “Transfers”