UT-K academically dismissed - will TTTT school accept me?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ou812c

UT-K academically dismissed - will TTTT school accept me?

Postby ou812c » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:43 pm

For example, if a student at U. T. Knox. is academically dismissed for his gpa, is Florida Coastal likely to accept them?

Killingly

Re: UT-K academically dismissed - will TTTT school accept me?

Postby Killingly » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:47 pm

You already made a thread asking this question. Pretty sure you got your answer.

ou812c

Postby ou812c » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:56 pm

Yea. Quitting is not an option though - unless I'm just not accepted anywhere. I am hoping to get more than 2 or 3 opinions.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:52 pm

A non-ABA school might accept you. ABA schools will probably require a break of a certain.

See here - --LinkRemoved--

Standard 505. PREVIOUSLY DISQUALIFIED APPLICANT
A law school may admit or readmit a student who has been disqualified previously for
academic reasons upon an affirmative showing that the student possesses the requisite
ability and that the prior disqualification does not indicate a lack of capacity to complete
the course of study at the admitting school. In the case of admission to a law school other
than the disqualifying school, this showing shall be made either by a letter from the
disqualifying school or, if two or more years have elapsed since that disqualification, by
the nature of interim work, activity, or studies indicating a stronger potential for law
study. For every admission or readmission of a previously disqualified individual, a
statement of the considerations that led to the decision shall be placed in the admittee’s
file.
Interpretation 505-1
The two year period begins on the date of the original determination to disqualify the student for
academic reasons.
Interpretation 505-2
A student who enrolled in a pre-admission program but was not granted admission is not a student
who was disqualified for academic reasons under this Standard.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:54 pm

ou812c wrote:Yea. Quitting is not an option though

Actually it is an option and it's what you should do.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:08 pm

ou812c wrote:Yea. Quitting is not an option though - unless I'm just not accepted anywhere. I am hoping to get more than 2 or 3 opinions.

That's noble and everything, but the time to not quit was in undergrad where you should have strived for better grades and on the LSAT where you should not have quit after receiving the score you did. Quitting is absolutely the best option.

legallyhot

Postby legallyhot » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:35 pm

Actually I called the ABA to ask for clarification of standard 505 and spoke with someone pretty high up who said "there is no two year wait period"[color=#0000BF][/color]. The two years language is intended to guide schools as to what may constitute an affirmative showing, if two years or more has passed. She told me many people get confused by the standard and there is a committee working on rewriting many standards. I am writing a letter to get the ABA to be more specific that there is no two wait period. Re-read 505 and you'll see what I mean the two year's is not referring to when an academically dismissed student may apply, but what may be used as an affirmative showing after two years have passed. Many schools have adopted the two year period either out of confusion or prejudice against academically dismissed students. So re-apply and also speak with admissions, but many schools will just say it's "our policy" not the ABA's. Don't quit!
Last edited by legallyhot on Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:37 pm

Attending FL Coastal will make you want to quit life via a .38 slug to your brain.

legallyhot

Postby legallyhot » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:45 pm

Grizz wrote:Attending FL Coastal will make you want to quit life via a .38 slug to your brain.

IF the OP attends FL Coastal he/she can transfer out to a better school. Just use it, as much as it's using you.

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:47 pm

Do you have a connection that guarantees you a good job as long as you have a law degree? This is the only reason that I can think of for going to a TTTT in this circumstance.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:47 pm

legallyhot wrote:
Grizz wrote:Attending FL Coastal will make you want to quit life via a .38 slug to your brain.

IF the OP attends FL Coastal he/she can transfer out to a better school. Just use it, as much as it's using you.

What fucking planet are you from? He can transfer out IF he does well enough, and the chances of that are incredibly slim.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:49 pm

legallyhot wrote:

lolololololololol you don't realize how hard it is to transfer. 90% chance you wouldn't be able to transfer to even UF or FSU. And apparently you don't realize how many people Coastal fails each year.

legallyhot

Postby legallyhot » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:01 pm

Grizz wrote:
legallyhot wrote:

lolololololololol you don't realize how hard it is to transfer. 90% chance you wouldn't be able to transfer to even UF or FSU. And apparently you don't realize how many people Coastal fails each year.

There are many third and fourth tier schools that will accept the OP as a transfer ( maybe some in the second tier), but getting back into law school is the biggest challenge. Outside of the 1st tier most schools are based on a pyramid scheme... accept a large first year class and then weed them out instead of train them, to get more money without investing in educating a large student body. Knowing this the OP's eyes should be wide open and the path they chose will be his/her own. Like I said earlier use the school as much as it uses you. That said the OP should not quit, the situation is not ideal but pursing your dream is more important than pursuing the ideal.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:15 pm

legallyhot wrote:
Grizz wrote:
legallyhot wrote:

There are many third and fourth tier schools that will accept the OP as a transfer ( maybe some in the second tier), but getting back into law school is the biggest challenge. Outside of the 1st tier most schools are based on a pyramid scheme... accept a large first year class and then weed them out instead of train them, to get more money without investing in educating a large student body. Knowing this the OP's eyes should be wide open and the path they chose will be his/her own. Like I said earlier use the school as much as it uses you. That said the OP should not quit, the situation is not ideal but pursing your dream is more important than pursuing the ideal.

What terrible advice. Please never go into any advice-giving profession, you will just ruin people's lives.

OP, you did crappy in undergrad, poorly on the LSAT and have demonstrated no reason why you would do well in law school. Unless you have a family member saying "You have a good job waiting for you once you get your JD" odds are that going to law school will be the worst decision of your life.

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:23 pm

Transferring out of Coastal is not THAT hard. Because of OP's history, though, I would be very hesitant to say that this is a good idea. Why did you do so poorly? Were there any personal or family problems? Did you just not study? If it was the former, I'd say give it a shot. If it was the latter, I would say don't. I don't see why all of a sudden you would be exponentially more motivated than you were last semester. That being said, I was exponentially more motivated my first year of law school than I ever was ever, and I changed my study habits accordingly and transferred out of Coastal. If you're gonna do it, you better get your nerd on.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:35 pm

RodneyBoonfield wrote:Transferring out of Coastal is not THAT hard.

Maybe, maybe not. Transferring out of Coastal into a school worth sticker price? It is THAT hard.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:40 pm

Are the choices really transfer down or quit? Can't you withdraw and take some time off to work and then start over at UT-K? That would be my advice. I would also advise not to follow your dreams if it won't support you and your family.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:51 pm

LAWL this is funny. Run away from law school, duder. You failed out of a mediocre school already. The game is up. Even if you graduated from some shithole TTTT, your life would be a miserable mess of debt and joblessness. If you aren't smart enough to cut your losses now then you and Coastal are made for each other.

Also, legallyhot please walk in front of a bus. Three generations of imbeciles is enough. Kthxbai.
Last edited by romothesavior on Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:52 pm

bk1 wrote:
RodneyBoonfield wrote:Transferring out of Coastal is not THAT hard.

Maybe, maybe not. Transferring out of Coastal into a school worth sticker price? It is THAT hard.

Depends where OP can claim residency/where OP wants to practice. If OP can claim residency in FL, FSU and UF are both worth sticker. Otherwise, if OP can transfer into a cheap state school or a state school for which he can claim residency, then that might be worth sticker if OP wants to practice in that state or region.

OP- do you have a sick job lined up and where can you claim residency?

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:42 pm

legallyhot wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

legallyhot

Postby legallyhot » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:01 pm

romothesavior wrote:LAWL this is funny. Run away from law school, duder. You failed out of a mediocre school already. The game is up. Even if you graduated from some shithole TTTT, your life would be a miserable mess of debt and joblessness. If you aren't smart enough to cut your losses now then you and Coastal are made for each other.

Also, legallyhot please walk in front of a bus. Three generations of imbeciles is enough. Kthxbai.

I know your moms' partial birth abortion failed and the doc only succeeded in sucking out your brain, but try to act like you have something between your ears. There is no guarantee of employment even if you graduate from a top school, and there is no harm in pursing law school after being dismissed, there are many factors that could account for poor first year performance. You make an ass of yourself when you assume the OP's intellect is to blame for the dismissal. Tell us...did the inbreeding make you this dumb?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:04 pm

legallyhot wrote:I know your moms' partial birth abortion failed

--ImageRemoved--

I wanted to ban them just for giving such awful advice, but that clinched it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:16 pm

legallyhot wrote:You make an ass of yourself when you assume the OP's intellect is to blame for the dismissal.

I didn't. I assumed that if he goes to a school like Coastal after already failing out of one law school, his intellect would be to blame for that. Ya dig?

@ VW... *fist pound*

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:20 pm

This turned redonco.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:20 pm

Regionality wrote:This turned redonco.

To be fair, the question posed by OP kind of started there.

Return to “Transfers”